“Amazing!”

Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
London, United Kingdom
“Amazing!”
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Fabulous food, amazing wine sourced personally from French vineyard. Intimate, friendly. Each course superb (best dauphinoise potato ever had in a restaurant and I have lived in France) . My husband was delighted with my choice for his birthday and we will return! Thank you for a wonderful evening!

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank SGreen33

poole
“Great family Christmas dinner”
Reviewed December 21, 2012

I enjoyed a fabulous meal with my family at the restaurant mid week. Was looking for somewhere to take my parents out for a treat and living 100 miles away from then I rely on internet information. The Michelin rating is very good and the website enticing. The reviews on Tripadvisor are also very good, but I feel that they must be up against very stiff local competition if they are only rated 5th out of 14 in the small village of Alfriston!
Our party consisted of 2 grandparents, two parents and two girls (10 + 9) and so having the magic of Christmas was equally as important as the wine list. I was planning on staying at a cheap local travel hotel, but was convinced that my wife and I should stay in the suite above (while the girls stayed with their grandparents).
We were ushered into a small and very ancient dining room which was beautifully decorated for Christmas; Alfriston generally looks like something out of Dickens (or even Shakespeare) and every shop and pub had made special efforts. The staff were very helpful and attentive and the owner Robin was especially charming. I really think he enjoys pleasing people with his delightful restaurant and this comes across - not everyone who decides to open and run a restaurant has enough charisma to pull it off.
The food was perfect and worthy of the Michelin accolades (although I guess a little too small to be reaching for stars). The menu was simple - 4 starters, 4 mains and I think 3 desserts or cheese. Five of us had venison carpaccio (locally sourced) which was beautifully presented and balanced. One has the cure Tsar fillet of salmon (done on the premises) with beetroot. This too was perfect.
The Sussex lamb was really hearty and The sea bass was perfectly cooked and seasoned.
The nougatine parfait was delicious, but my money was on the the dark chocolate marquise which was just fabulous in taste and texture.
The wine list was simple but good quality and reasonably priced. We opted for a Malbec for £24 which was so nice that we stuck to this throughout the meal.
Throughout the service was prompt but not pushy. We really had a great chance to relax and to catch up. The other side of the restaurant had more tables and I guess this would have more atmosphere if you are expecting your dinner guests to be dull. We had quite the opposite problem of highly excited children and our secluded dining room was ideal.
Do not come here if you do not want to try something new, the menu must be limited to make such perfection economically viable on this small scale and must be inventive enough to attract interest from outside the village.
I think that overall it compares very favourably with some of the Michelin stared restaurants we have tried and if you want to get this level of fine dining outside London, you will not find many places as relaxed and intimate as this.
The suite of rooms upstairs was great; really wonky old beams every where and low door frames. I could walk around the rooms (I am 6'4") but needed to limbo dance through the doorways. The breakfast (continental) was superb.
I now plan to come here again when I am next in the area. We did not get to enjoy sitting outside on the terrace or indeed walk around the local Downs due to darkness and torrential rain. I hope to return, however in the new year and stay again when the sun is out and it is warm enough to dine outside.

• Visited December 2012
Cornwall, United Kingdom
“Impeccable food and service”
Reviewed November 26, 2012

This is one restaurant we enjoy visiting when we visit E. Sussex. The lunch menus (served on Wed-Sat) are fantastic value. We had a carpaccio of venison and smoked salmon starters, Sussex lamb and wild Sea Bass mains. Perfectly cooked, beautifully presented, delicious. Pads were proficient but unexceptional. We were recommended a Sauvignon Blanc made by students at Plumpton Agricultural College. Exceptional! Also really unexpected grape for UK. Three courses were approx £20, wine similar. Looking forward to our next visit to this part of the world.

• Visited November 2012
Worthing, United Kingdom
“Intimate and picturesque !”
Reviewed November 17, 2012

Excellent food worth a visit.
We found the restaurant by chance and truly enjoyed everything.
Robin, our host, is never short of attention to entertain his guests.
It is not the regular place you'd find in every village or small town.
Therefore it makes it quite unique. They use quality premium local products.
Very good indeed. Enjoy!

• Visited November 2012
London, United Kingdom
“Amazing Restaurant; Ignore Bad Reviews!!”
Reviewed October 28, 2012

This Moonrakers is an amazing restaurant in the middle of a beautiful village and I would highly recommend it!! I couldn't believe it had recieved bad reviews however when I read some of them it started to make sense; the main complaint seemed to be the limited menu. This is a restaurant that seats 10-12 people inside and about the same outside therefore its small menu reflects this. The emphasis is on quality not quantity and I believe they completley achieve this. Our food was so tasty and cooked to perfection matched with a lovely bottle of wine. The owner himself welcomed us to the restaurant and spent the evening being very attentive to all the customers alongside the waitress. He told us about the history of the hotel and and restaurant and we are very keen to go back and stay in their suite in the not so distant future. It was a pefect way to escape the hustle and bustle of London!!

• Visited October 2012