“Fantastic rural setting”

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Fantastic rural setting”
Reviewed August 17, 2012

We ate here recently to celebrate my daughters birthday. The restaurant is located in sleepy Alfriston in East Sussex. The menu is small but well balanced with a choice of five starters, five mains and five mouth watering puddings. I chose a Carpaccio of Venison for my starter which was excellent. To follow, I had a beautifully cooked lamb in red wine jus with vegetables and to complete the meal I had rice pudding with warm cherries with a dash of something strong and alcoholic. Washed down with a bottle of Fleurie, I felt very satisfied. My wife and daughter both agreed that the meal was really good value for what we paid.
The service was excellent, our waitress being friendly and helpful, and obviously knowledgable about both wine and the dishes being served.
The restaurant is small and was very quiet when we ate there but it was worth the drive. In addition, there is a lovely garden area where you could have your pre dinner drinks with a lovely view of Alfriston Church.
I would recommend Moonrakers for any occasion. I am already looking forward to our next visit.

2 Thank Raymond310

Eynsford, United Kingdom
“A good find”
Reviewed August 11, 2012

We chanced upon Moonrackers when visiting the Clergy House, we had intended eating at the hotel on the corner only to find that they no longer served lunch. Moonrackers was close by and looked interesting so we gave it a go and were pleased we did. It's a small restaurant but very comfortably furnished, the set lunch of three courses are well priced, portions are on the small side but very tasty and we came away full.
If in the area we would go again.

• Visited August 2012
2 Thank stephen l
bexhill
“A lovely meal”
Reviewed June 28, 2012

Walking around the pretty village of Alfriston, we found Moonrakers and decided to give it a try. The food is excellent. Well presented and full of flavour. Service was good without being over attentive. A lovely lunch! We will certainly visit here again when in the area.

• Visited June 2012
Hastings, United Kingdom
“A damp Summer's day brightened”
Reviewed June 11, 2012

Having visited the nearby Clergy House we noticed the rear entrance to Moonrakers and decided on the spur of the moment to have lunch. There were no other diners, the weather was English Summer (overcast, damp and likely to rain) and we had the dog in tow so the outside seating was the obvious choice. What followed next was the happiest of 'accidents' in that the garden, overlooking The Tye (the village Green) and St. Andrew's Church, was in full bloom, the rain held off, the waitress service was excellent - attentive but not obtrusive - and the food outstanding.

The lunch menu is short: three starters, three mains and three deserts, and between us we had the Venison Carpaccio and the roasted Beetroot with Goats Cheese followed by Sea Bass and Roast Lamb (well-done for me as I follow Denis Thatcher in not liking rare meat), and a Chocolate Mousse with pistaccios and the Vanilla Pod Icecream with gooseberries in an elderflower sauce. All of the courses were excellent and the wine list well balanced and complimenting the food. Do try the cocktails as an apperitif - especially the Elderflower and Prosecco 'On the Tye'.

The lunch it was a great success - all the more so for being unplanned and on my birthday. Ross, the chef, was charmingly modest when we thanked him through the back door of the kitchen, and as mentioned before, the waiting staff were excellent.

Book it and go to the Moonrakers. We will come back and bring some of our friends who believe nothing edible exists outside of London. We know better!

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank Austin7man
London
“As lovely as usual”
Reviewed May 7, 2012

We’ve started a family tradition of going to Moonrakers on Easter Saturday with at least one grandmother in tow, and each time it has been great. It is a grown up place, but our 11 year old is comfortable there and is happy to try new things.

As usual the staff were welcoming and delightful. It was good to see a young waiter in training and being gently guided. Both the grandmothers have fallen in love with the place and the people.

Food was great. We like the smaller choice done well. One of our party ate vegetarian and was very happy. The pork, crab and lamb went down well, although I also chose the lamb and the verde sauce combination was not quite to my taste, but that was just personal preference and my husband loved his. Same with the desserts, all went down well. My mother and I both chose the nougatine parfait which is very sweet, but we didn’t exactly leave any! The chocolate dessert was a clear winner.

As we are complete gluttons we always end with sharing a cheese plate, the fabulous selection is mainly local. Wines are good and reasonably priced. Not an extensive wine list but fine and staff happy to give advice. Roll on next Easter!

• Visited April 2012