“Not like published details in lots respects”

Southover Bed and Breakfast
Southover Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #31 of 51 Swanage B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 1, 2013

Arrived after a fairly long journey and had some difficulty in finding, the sat nav takes one around in circles. The unmade road the property is situated on is indeed very unmade, apparently the local council will not adopt, so drive slowly!, also the signage to the property is hidden by foliage.
To get to eateries in Swanage means you either drive to the centre or walk which we take approx 30 minutes and is a steepish downhill walk, bear in mind you will have to walk back up!!. Don't attempt ladies to wear heels, use walking boots and carry your shoes!.(don't forget a torch). My wife and I are pretty fit we walk a lot. On first contact with the accommodation we were rather disappointed the entrance was cluttered with cardboard boxes filled with books and bric a brac as was the exterior, car parking was on the grass verge outside the property and also used by dog walkers and there dogs with evidence of there visit!!.
Ok the room was a little unusual in layout with the on-suite down a corridor from the room, a door ouside the ensuite led into a garage,which unfortunately emitted a smell of petrol into the corridor. The room itself was clean as was the bedding etc, facilities for making a drink etc and all the usual little treats, the strange thing was there was no milk, to obtain this one had to leave ones room,cross the entrance hall and make way to the laundry area where there was a fridge with milk!, please provide little cartons or milk in a little flask.
We stayed two nights, first morning breakfast was good with lots choice, we where the only guests, second morning was a little less appealing, with choice more limited. Overall the hosts where friendly and the room OK with drawbacks as stated, I am sure all rooms are not with same layout. No view from our room which overlooked a wood store and I considered top price for what it was. The published pictures a are difficult to quantify. Owners give a four star rating sorry mine is only a three.

Room Tip: Our room was immediately on the right in the entrance hall.No traffic or other noise very quiet .The...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Janice T, Owner at Southover Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2014

Thank you for providing us with your review, which contained some helpful points, and some with which we were not entirely happy. Firstly, Satnavs do have trouble finding our house, which is not really our fault, and for this reason our website does give detailed instructions on how to get to us, although I am puzzled by your claim that the house sign is obscured by foliage - it is on the middle gatepost of three and is at least three feet from the nearest leaf! The road outside is, like several in Durlston, unmade, so cautious driving is indeed advisable. That said, it does not require hiking boots to get in and out, nor does it take thirty minutes to walk into town. I regularly walk it in ordinary shoes and can get there in 10 minutes (12 minutes coming back up the hill). Our website describes us as being in a 'semi-rural location on the outskirts of Swanage', so I wouldn't really expect anyone who wanted to step out of the front door in their high heels directly into the town centre to come to us, and I feel it is a little unfair to criticise us for being exactly what we say we are.

I am sorry that there was clutter in our hallway when you arrived. We are very involved in the local community and had just been running a bric-a-brac stall at a charity event - it isn't always there!

The room you used is part of a small suite of two rooms and a shower room, which many people like as it enables families to share facilities without sharing a bedroom. There is a door to a garage, which does not usually emit a smell of petrol, as it does not contain a car, but I assume you opened it, as I leave the key in it for safety reasons. Perhaps I should out a Private sign on it in future.

I have taken your point about providing cartons of long-life milk in the rooms, which I had previously avoided as I assumed that most people would prefer fresh milk. I still provide fresh milk in the fridge, but I now put it in a flask instead of a jug so that it doesn't go off if it is kept in the room overnight. The 'laundry room', by the way, is a small kitchen, with fridge/freezer, microwave, crockery and cutlery, which many guests appreciate, as it enables them to eat in or prepare picnics, so saving them a lot of expense.

And finally, whilst your room did not have the splendid views out towards the country park which some others do, it overlooked a small courtyard containing many flower tubs and hanging baskets, and surrounded by clearly visible trees and shrubs. The courtyard also contains a table and chairs where it is possible to sit outside for a meal or one of our optional barbecues.

I feel that you were disappointed with your stay because our location did not fit your requirements, even though we made no claims to be central, and as a consequence you have gone out of your way to find fault with us and have exaggerated your criticisms to put us in the worst possible light. Believe it or not, many people like where we are and are only too happy to don their hiking boots and walk out of our house onto the Dorset Coastal Path, which is only three minutes from our door!

Reviewed August 12, 2013

My husband and I have just returned from a 2 night stay at southover. Its a great place to stay with very welcoming hosts. Rooms clean and very comfortable. We chose this b & b as we were taking part in a charity walk from durlston head to lulworth..it was the perfect place to stay as was only a 5 minute walk from the starting point.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ukricky72
Reviewed August 3, 2013

This is a B&B with problems - the access is poor on very bad unmade roads, which will test your car suspension
The bedroom and en suite were fine as was the breakfast but there were shortfalls. Outside we were limited to a very utilitarian back yard, not very appealing.
The tea /coffee facility in the bedroom wasn’t refreshed over the two days we stayed and almost unbelievably we came back the first evening there was no milk left and none in the communal fridge. The owners weren't in so we had to go into Swanage to buy some milk for that night and for the following morning.
However the hosts were friendly and helpful but overall it should be only be rated as an average three star .

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

I am sorry that you were so unhappy with your stay. We had no idea when you left that there was any problem other than the glitch over the milk - we brought some in but you had already gone out to get some and assured us that this was not an issue. When you left you gave me a hug and seemed like perfect best friends. Unfortunately you paid me in cash and afterwards thought that you had accidentally overpaid me by £20 and contacted me to ask for a refund. Although I was by no means certain that you had overpaid, I eventually sent you £20 as you were becoming very upset and aggressive about the situation. It was after this that you posted your very negative review.

On your specific points I agree that the short road to us from the metalled road is bad and slow driving is advised. The 'back yard' is a courtyard with flowers and a table and chairs. There is a further table and chairs in our barbecue area in our side lawn. I did not 'limit' you to the courtyard, merely pointed out the table which was available for your use next to the kitchen which was also available for your use, which many guests find very convenient on a fine evening.

I am sorry that what seemed to be a very pleasant relationship between us was soured by a mix-up over money.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

Spent three nights at this B&B for the May Band Holiday weekend. Liked the fact that we could rent two adjoining rooms with a shared bathroom -- perfect for a family with two kids, one of whom is a toddler.
The hosts were very welcoming and helpful with advice about the local area.
The highlight for our 2.5 year old was collecting eggs from the five chickens every morning -- the landlady was only glad to invite us along. The eggs make the breakfast so special, that my husband officially declared it to be at the top of his leaderboard of UK breakfasts.

Room Tip: If you travel as a family, look for the two adjoining rooms with a shared bathroom -- gives you so m...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family