“Good Quality Traditional Seaside Guest House”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Swanage
Hermitage House Bed & Breakfast,
Ranked #37 of 51 Swanage B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 13, 2011

This was our third visit to this B & B, we return every year for the Swanage Folk Festival.
Susan and Roger always make us welcome and produce excellent breakfasts.
The room was ideal for our needs (three guests = three beds) and having a washbasin in the room is always useful, the room was clean, the beds comfortable and the tea making facility was also useful. Our room was at the rear of the building over looking Roger and Susan's lovely garden. Sharing bathroom/toilet facilities was no problem for us guys having stayed in many traditional style B & B 's in the past. but could do with a small hand wash basin in top floor toilet/shower room for hand washing after using toilet. With no TV's in the bedrooms there is no danger of waking your neighbours or being woken yourself by the sound of a TV. The Hermitage is in a good position being minutes from the town centre and the sea front and there are many pubs and varied eating places just down the hill in the town.
We left our car in the guest house car park for the whole of our stay and walked around the town and various music venues - Folk Festival weekend there is much on - much of it street entertainments. Swanage is a lovely traditional seaside town and the Hermitage is a lovely traditional seaside guest house.

Room Tip: Ask what rooms are available to suit your party of guests and ask if front bedrooms with a sea view...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends

Reviewed September 9, 2011

Amazing house with character and views, do not stay here if you travel a lot and are use to en-suite facilities, nice towels, comfortable bed etc!...needs some new furniture ,towels etc. Friendly owners with very good breakfast. Bed was very uncomfortable,so very bad nights sleep, plastic matress cover causing sheets and me to slip all over the place!..would not recommend this to friend or family, unless had a revamp of basic facilities.

Room Tip: watch your head in shower room on top floor ( shared )
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank pumaparker
rogerpic, Owner at Hermitage House Bed & Breakfast,, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2011

I would like to respond to the review headed"timewarp"
The hermitage as the writer commented is an amazing edwardian property, perfectly situated with enviouble views over the bay.to keep the character of the building we have tried to furnish in keeping with the property, i have been an antique collector for many years and like to share this passion with my guests.
I appreciate if guests are looking for a modern boutiqe type bed and breakfast the hermitage should not be your choice, but if you,re looking for a homely, friendly, clean [displaying our high acheivment award in hygiene and cleanliness issued from purbeck didtrict council] fantastic breakfast, then this is the place for you.
however i am sorry this guest had a sleepless night, we have learned to our cost that we have to protect the matress, this paticular one has been changed and new towels throughout are on order
regards, susan

Reviewed September 7, 2011

We had booked an almost last-minute long weekend away, hoping for the average B&B facilities we are used to - but we were bitterly disappointed! When I phoned to book, the price quoted for this B&B was the same as many with the facilities which we require, so even though there is no website or internal photos, I proceeded with the booking over the phone, Probably I should have asked more questions!
When we arrived, we were shown a good-sized room with a super sea view (so far so good!) but as it had a large oval lemon yellow washbasin in the corner, I felt compelled to ask whether an ensuite was available - and was shown the bathroom on the landing which was shared by all the other occupants on that floor, four rooms I believe. The bathroom was probably installed in the 1960s and was very basic. So I assumed that the upper floor has similar facilities.....
The room was furnished quite adequately, quite a lot of furniture, and a comfy-looking bed, but VERY dated - probably 1960s to 1970s.
However, there was no TV, which is important to us as we habitually wake early and like to watch the news and weather, so we asked if a tv was available. We were told that they had had tvs installed, but took them out because people came back to their rooms in the evening and put the tv on! (Soundproofing obviously a problem......)
So no point in staying there, not our sort of place!
If there had been a tv but no digital facilities, we would have bought a cheap digibox for the hols!
I'm afraid we may have become rather spoilt by staying at the chain lodges and other B&Bs which provide more modern facilities, so we made our excuses and left to find somewhere else.......
I would recommend that the owners have a good look at the competition no further than the streets nearby!

Room Tip: ASK if they have an ensuite facility anywhere in the house, they may well install ensuite bathrooms...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank EmmdeeSshh
rogerpic, Owner at Hermitage House Bed & Breakfast,, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2011

in response to this revue, we do have a website with photo,s.of our bed and breakfast.however the lady is intitled to her opinion which is masively outnumbered by the majority of return guests and happy new guests who have booked to visit us next year..

Reviewed August 4, 2011

Amazing sea views - superb breakfast - Roger and Sue are very friendly and have masses of local knowledge. Really is 2 minutes from beach an town centre. Encouraged us to visit The Square and Compass in Langton Matravers - well worth a visit - were always interested in our plans for the day and gave us loads of tips on the best places to go = we have booked a return visit in August!!

Room Tip: The rooms at the front have amazing sea views right around the bay - but the attic room is exception...
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 31, 2011

My partner and I stayed here whilst on a weekend break in Swanage during July and it's just what you want from a B&B. It's in a great location, only a couple of minutes walk from the town centre and beach; the bedroom we stayed in had lovely sea views; breakfast was just what was required after a night out on the town and the owners were friendly, helpful and full of info about local area. We'll certainly book in again next time we return to Swanage.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 19, 2011

My experience of the Hermitage was very good. My partner and I arrived on a Friday afternoon to meet Susan and Roger who were very kind, friendly and welcoming. The accommodation was comfortable and homely. We had a very satisfying cooked breakfast which was cooked perfectly and tasted great with loads of tea, coffee and toast! The room was good value, comfortable, clean and we would stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank vivisace75
Reviewed March 9, 2011

My sister and I stayed in this B & B on a recent cold winter weekend in Swanage. On arrival, we were shown to a room on the top floor, & immediately noticed that the room was very cold, the furnishings very tired and out of date, the towels were thin and musty. We hoped that on our return later that evening the room would have warmed up but the room felt very very cold, so cold in fact that I kept on all my clothes including socks in order to be warm enough to sleep. The bedding was inadequate for a room so cold. My sister covered herself with my coat to keep warm in her bed. Next morning, our tea with breakfast was served lukewarm and when we complained, several other guests also asked for hotter drinks. After breakfast, we paid the landlady the £60 asking fee, and complained about the temperature of our room. She responded by making excuses about the boiler of the house, and that she did the best she could. She did not apologise at all, and in fact was defensive and seemed uninterested in our discomfort. I would never stay here again and wish to warn unwary travellers to Swanage about the lack of care and interest shown by the owner of this place.

• Stayed: March 2011