“Grand Indeed”

Grand Hotel Swanage
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Swanage
Reviewed May 13, 2014

The view of Swanage Bay from this hotel is fantastic. The room was bright, large, comfortable and just the right temperature. I would stay in this hotel again. I found the staff attentive and accommodating. Dinner was ideal and breakfast abundant. The Grand Hotel is certainly the best place to stay in Swanage, in my view, having visited many times before.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank James S
Lindsay B, Manager at Grand Hotel Swanage, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2014

Thank you for your great review and we are pleased to hear that you have had an excellent stay again with us. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

There are newer reviews for Grand Hotel Swanage

Reviewed May 13, 2014

We stayed at the hotel for our daughter's wedding on 3 May 2014. The wedding reception was very professionally managed and the whole day went smoothly and effortlessly due to excellent planning and delivery. The food offer was comprehensive, delivered well, was exactly as previewed and of a consistenly high standard. I would thoroughly recommend the Grand Hotel for a wedding. The hotel itself is in an excellent location overlooking the sea and the staff are very helpful and accommodating.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends

Thank you for your wonderful comments. It was an absolute delight to be able to host your daughters Wedding with us at the Grand. We too had a lovely day celebrating this special day with you all.

Reviewed May 12, 2014

I was amazed with the gorgeous view of the sea. The food was lovely, quite a selection, the waiter Gigi was delightful. Great day out with the girls! We also visited the arcades and had Chips by the sea. Definitely worth the price we paid.

Room Tip: I didn't sleep there, I just didn't know how to take the rating away.
1  Thank hollyvictoria24

Excellent review, thank you. I will pass on your comments to the team and Gigi. We hope to see you back again soon.

Reviewed May 11, 2014

Stayed at the "Grand" for two night for a big family reunion, which was arranged by others….If I had booked it myself, I would have checked out within a few hours…..

On arrival, the hotel looked fair, but (as others have mentioned) it was tired round the edges. Parking was a nightmare and the receptionist offered little or no advice other than "we are busy this weekend so you will need to find parking elsewhere".

After getting to my room I tried to connect to WiFi, so called down to reception and was given the code but before I have chance to ask a question I was hung up on! The passcode did not work so I went back to reception and was told that WiFi may not work on the second or third floor!

The room itself had the most amazing view, however the room (207) only have ONE power outlet (which had the kettle plugged into it), and this was between the windows. My wife had to heat up her hair straighteners, unplug them, then take them to the mirror to use them!!

The bathroom. Hot water was a rare bonus, and the shower had no pressure at all.

Breakfast. Easiest advice here is to go elsewhere. Our package included breakfast (which otherwise would have been £10), so we ate in (along with the rest of the family). The "full English" consisted on ONE piece of bacon, ONE sausage, ONE egg (undercooked), ONE half of tomato and a couple of mushrooms. Most other items on the menu were "unavailable". The service at breakfast was terrible. My wife drinks green tea, and although there were plenty of Green Teabags available on the table, it took 25 minutes and FOUR requests, to get any hot water. In fact, when I eventually ran out of patience and asked one of the waitresses to come over so I could have a word I was told "sorry I am too busy at the moment I will be back soon"!!!

They have a "spa", but to say it is "grubby" is an understatement. Changing rooms are just in the Toilets, and if you want a towel they charge 50p.

Apart from the view this place has NOTHING going for it, which is a pity as it could have. It needs a complete make over and to employ staff who understand customer service. We did not find any staff member from reception to bar staff, from waitress to cleaners, who were any help or even smiled!

We loved Swanage and hope to go back, but would prefer a B&B or to stay further out than to return to the "Grand".

Shame……ho[pe they read this and take action.

Room Tip: Sea views are amazing, but no room WiFi.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Bellcom

Thank you for your review. We take our guests comments very seriously. I personally assisted you on your check-out and was unaware that there had been any issues, however I would have been more than happy to have discussed the issues raised with you given the opportunity.

Reviewed May 6, 2014

Stayed on a sunny bank holiday, hotel right on the quiet beech with steps as access, and beautiful views, decor in need of updating, parking an issue (road outside was busy, took some time to find parking) Breakfast was very good and staff were helpful. The structure of the building and the huge staircase are testament to better days gone bye. We paid £70 for a double for b&b, which considering all of the above was fair.

Room Tip: If you are into views, get a room on the beach side of the hotel, stunning!
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends

Thank you for your review. We look forward to welcoming you back again with us.

Reviewed May 5, 2014

We had a brilliant weekend in The Grand Hotel -a little tired around the edges but extremely clean and lovely, helpful staff as well as delicious freshly cooked food - will definitely be going back in the future!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

Great to hear that you had a lovely weekend at the Grand Hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon. Thank you.

Reviewed May 5, 2014

Staff friendly and helpful. Room was very clean, comfortable bed and a superb view from our room looking out over Swanage Bay. Breakfast very tasty and lovely view from restaurant. Parking is very limited but there is free on street parking just outside hotel on a quite road. Second time we've stayed here and will certainly come back on one of their special deals.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple

We are pleased to hear that you had a great stay again with us and look forward to welcoming you back, Thank you for your review

Also consider these accommodations in or near Swanage
Purbeck House Hotel & Louisa Lodge
#7 of 13 in Poole
Sandbanks Hotel
Sandbanks Hotel
#10 of 13 in Poole

Been to Grand Hotel Swanage? Share your experiences!