“Not quite right”

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Swanage
Epsom, United Kingdom
“Not quite right”
Reviewed February 19, 2012

We booked this hotel for a two night midweek break. On arrival we found the bar and lounge to be well presented with a lovely flame fire burning fire burning on what was a very cold day. The bar prices were reasonable for a hotel so a few drinks while taking in the wonderful view from the conservatory did not break the bank.
The room we had was nice enough, clean and well presented but very small with angled ceilings that are a problem for anyone over 5' 6". Was it worth the £40 extra for the sea view? Not really because there is a clear problem with pigeons at this hotel. The mess on and around the window was disgusting and one is not inclined to look out at it. These birds also act as an alarm at first light so earplugs might be an idea.
The gym in the basement which I think is used mostly by the locals was very good. There is the usual modern equipment and machines which were all working but I really enjoyed the free weights room at the back, it was a throwback in time to rusty old bars and stuff everywhere with lots of people training hard.
The Food; The breakfasts were very good and the waiter most helpful. There was something for most tastes be it fruit and cereal from a buffet or a large selection of hot food from the menu cooked to order.
We only had one meal in the conservatory and to be honest it was a disgrace how little food was served up. We had cod and I swear it was no more that four inches long. It tasted ok but we were still hungry so had to eat again. Having mentioned that the drinks prices were reasonable I should add that the food prices are expensive for what you get.
Lastly I would like to mention the reception staff, they could take a lesson from the head waiter. They will give directions but anything more than that was not possible. They were not very helpful at all and the only time they moved very much was to push a tips box under my nose as I checked out.
So the break was average is as much as can be said about this place.

Room Tip: Higher sea view rooms have sloping ceilings that are a pest.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank AlanG177654
Razvan R, Manager at Grand Hotel Swanage, responded to this review, February 20, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. Our feature fire place is certainly a warm welcome on a very cold day. It is very important to us that our guests enjoy their stay with us and have the opportunity to experience our services on offer. By taking the time to make your comments affords us the opportunity to ensure that we meet the very best standards at all times and were we do not quite get it right make the necessary changes to improve.
I therefore wanted to take the time to advise you that we are in the process of making changes some of which are changes to the decor within the bedrooms and public and leisure facilites. Our Head Chef is also review our Conservatory snack menu.
I was pleased to hear your comments with regard to breakfast as we have already made improvements in this area.
We do look forward to you visiting us again and experiencing the changes that we have made.
Thank you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (394)
Winchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 13, 2012

My wife and I enjoyed a very pleasant break here in during some extreme winter weather. The staff were very friendly and helpful, and quickly fixed a small problem caused by the weather.
We ate in the restaurant with well presented , tasteful dishes washed down by a bottle of good quality house wine. the facilities of the hotel and its proximity to the beach and the town made it a great base for the break. The views of the bay from our sea-view room were outstanding and we could recommend this option. Overall, a great break at great value.

Room Tip: Sea View room well worth the extra.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 11, 2012

Good location, nice views, but our room was next to the lift and it was very noisy!
The room was tastefully furnished but maybe a little dated. The bathroom could definitely do with a full refurbishment. It was very dated and not very comfortable.
The position for the TV was just silly; you could not watch it from the bed as it was on the side. The bed and the pillows were very comfortable.
We woke up late the first morning and asked housekeeping to come back and clean the room later (I even asked the receptionist before we went out if he could ensure that housekeeping goes back to our room) but it was never cleaned; they didn't even take the rubbish!
The room was a bit on the small side, it has a kettle and tea and coffee, but no selection, just breakfast tea and normal coffee.
My partner had a coffee in the bar and he said it was horrible.
Breakfast was nice but the decor in the breakfast room is awful; it looks like cow's blood on gold paper, under glass. About 20 variations of it.
The health club has a small pool, the sauna is however on the other side of the area, so you have to walk through everything if you want to go to the sauna after a swim. There didn't seem to be any loungers to relax on. The gym seemed well-equipped.
The staff seemed OK but didn't have much dealings with them (we asked to be put into another room after the first noisy night but they had no free rooms even though my partner offered to pay extra for a better room).
We bought a voucher on KGB Deals but if we would have paid the full price, I would have been very very disappointed.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ancsa07
uk
Reviewed January 30, 2012

staff can not do enough for you,reception staff very welcoming,fitness club staff were the same and the dining room staff were so jolly and helpful. i only have 2 negatives and this is that the rooms,although very clean,were very dated for the money it costs to stay here and the chambermaids didnt clean our room or refresh towels etc on the 2nd day. would definitly stay again

Room Tip: choose a sea view,we had front facing which the pigeons love!!!
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Somerset, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 30, 2012

we were happy using this hotel on a special groupon deal, but if we had paid full price we would not have been.
Lots of things need attention gym-lots of equipment not working, pool- water tepid and spa bit not working properly we were told by people that "things have been like this for a long time and dont get fixed"
rooms on top floor very cold even though heating up on full, Shower head not working just dribbled out ,
Net curtain in bathroom very dirty, breakfast was good and bar meal reasonable but very poor size portion ended up eating in the pub down the road, probably would not stay there again even with the £20 a night deal

Room Tip: dont pick the top floor
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank fisherman44
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 27, 2012

Have been trying to book a hotel room at the Grand Hotel since I received a two night stay voucher as a gift. Both times the person answering the phone was unhelpful, unenthusiastic and completely lacking in any form of customer service. When I asked the second person if I could speak to the General Manager about the service I had received from the last person I was told he was a director...wow if he is a director then I would hate to see what the other staff are like! His reply to me saying that I wasn't overly impressed with the service I had received was to say in a sarcastic voice that was verging on a yawn that he was 'sorry I wasn't impressed' that was it - he couldn't have been more insulting! I'm hoping when we actually do go and stay we have a nice time but if the phone manner of the receptionists is anything to go by I wish we hadn't received a voucher for this hotel!!

Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank ErinOT
Salisbury
Reviewed January 25, 2012

Made a last minute decision to spend New Year's Eve and NY Day at the Grand. It was really great. Had planned to go of into town to bring in the New Year but ended up staying at the Hotel. Evening meal was fantastic and the mixed crowd were a lot of fun. Entertainment was great and service outstanding. Great job Lndsay and the team. Many thanks Glynne & Ann

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Swanage
Purbeck House Hotel & Louisa Lodge
Sandbanks Hotel
Sandbanks Hotel
#9 of 13 in Poole
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,647 reviews

Been to Grand Hotel Swanage? Share your experiences!