“Good location but freezing cold rooms”

Purbeck House Hotel & Louisa Lodge
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Swanage
Hampshire
“Good location but freezing cold rooms”
Reviewed December 28, 2009

We stayed Sunday 27th December as we love the Ocean Bay Restuarant on the seafront. It appeared the hotel had been closed over the Christmas period, we arrived at 1.00p.m. the hotel was absoluteley freezing as was our small basic double room with equally small bathroom. No heating was on we were told it was on a timer. The heating actually came on at 2.30p.m. - until the room warmed up I actually got into bed to keep warm! The heating stayed on and then went off again about 10.30p.m. It came on again at some point in the morning but was switched off by the time we left at 10.30 a.m. However the radiators in the public areas downstairs appeared to be on. The plus side was the room was clean, the building is an attractive old building and the breakfast was good. I wouldn't recommend staying here in the winter.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bobbykins

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
Worcestershire UK
Reviewed November 30, 2009

Usually stay in Bournemouth when working down this way, but decided to have a change and was well pleased with my first stay here for about 10 years.Somebody is obviously making a big effort with this place, as just about everything was perfect. My bedroom in the main hotel was very comfortable indeed and had everything I needed to work in including free hi speed Wifi.As it was a wet night and blowing a gale I ate in the restaurant which was not too bad considering it was a Monday night( usually chefs night off).The breakfast next morning though was absolutely superb. Very good value out of season and the staff were very nice too.

Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
3 Thank sleepytopcat
Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 22, 2009

The inside is amazing, clean, spacious and well decorated although the rooms could do with updating a little as wallpaper was out of date even for the hotels age. Breakfast was amazing could have been bigger full english but buffay of other foods was good. Staff were helpful and very friendly. Close to everything really. Loved the bath. Asked for extra pillows, they never arrived asked again and nothing gave up in the end.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank crazylifekitten
westmidlands
Reviewed October 10, 2009

we got married in the hotel in may, we stayed in the hotel for 2 nights and i would definatly reccomend it to anyone. Lyndsay Bish our wedding co ordinator was fantastic, she took care of everything for us. The day went without any problems at all. I found all the staff extreamly friendly and helpful the food on our wedding day was out of this world with all the guests leaving good comments. All the rooms are clean and comfortable. All in all it is a fantastic experience an ill definatly be staying again!!!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank maggie_mae80
Poole, Dorset
Reviewed October 5, 2009

We have stayed at the Purbeck House a few times over the last 5 years and have always enjoyed our stay. We love the setting and the grounds of the Hotel so we decided to hold our Wedding there. After meeting with all the friendly, brilliant staff we felt confident in their hands during the lead up to the big day - Especially Lindsay Bish our Wedding co-ordinator. Our Wedding Day was perfect, it all ran smoothly. The food was great, service was excellent and drinks reasonably priced. We were very well looked after and I could not recomment this Hotel for Weddings enough!

• Stayed August 2009
4 Thank Newlyweds29
london
Reviewed October 3, 2009

I have stayed at the Purbeck House Hotel many times, but only when I can get a room in the main hotel since I was fobbed off with the vastly inferior Louisa Lodge which is a modern but poorly built add-on building at the back of the hotel.

Despite being assured of a room in the main house when I booked by telephone, on arrival I was told this was unavailable and I was shunted into Louisa Lodge.

I was given a poky room with windows that wouldn't open properly and paper thin walls - I could hear the people in the room next door using their toilet. Most unpleasant.

If you are planning to stay here, insist on a room in the main house and get it confirmed in writing.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
3 Thank Holdsworthy
sg3317, General Manager at Purbeck House Hotel & Louisa Lodge, responded to this review, October 19, 2009
If that person booked at the main House of Purbeck House Hotel he would stay in the Main House, we ask all telephone enquiry if they wan't a room in the Main House or in the Louisa Lodge with a letter or email of confirmation, who state where they are staying.
Wales
Reviewed September 2, 2009

When I phoned the hotel prior to making a reservation I specificially asked if The Purbeck House Hotel was suitable for my mother in her late 70s and largely confined to a wheelchair, for a three night short break. I was assured that "There are ramps everywhere and the Louisa Lodge has larger rooms suitable for wheelchair access etc". I made the reservation having been offered these assurances. However, I was very disappointed to see the 'ramp' from the car park was SO steep I suggest that wheelchair access is verging on dangerous. The room in the Louisa Lodge was lovely, clean and indeed well suited to those in wheelchairs. Breakfast was served in the Conservatory and Dinner in the restaurant in the main hotel buildings. Both were quite some distance from the Louisa Lodge and we were met with yet another "hill" which I assume was the 'ramp' the receptionist referred to. It was a complete nightmare for me having to push my mother up and down these hills as no such terrain was mentioned on the website, nor during the telephone conversation. Even though Hotel staff watched me several times pushing the wheelchair, not once did anyone offer any assistance, which I thought was rather strange. Each time we used the Conservatory for breakfast, I had to call the attention of a waitress to unlock the second door to allow us entry without risk of damaging the paintwork on the doors. I was rather disappointed to twice be served cold/stale coffee at breakfast (which I asked to be replaced with fresh) and to have a fly in the milk, which was apparently replaced, but the fly was found for a second time at the bottom of the jug after we'd used the milk! Is this acceptable? I think not. Other than that the breakfast was fine! The food served for dinner was beautifully presented and tasty but I found it odd that the evening menu wasn't available on display by 10.30 am to allow one to make a decision about whether to dine in or out that evening. I'm not in the habit of writing reviews like this but essentially I feel compelled to warn anyone about the poor access to the hotel for anyone unfortuante enough to be in a wheelchair or for the person pushing. My final point surrounds the very sharp and negative response from the General Manager when I phoned through to say we would be leaving after two nights rather than three. Before I'd even finished my statement, he cut in telling me that I would have to pay for the three full nights regardless of whether we continued our stay or not. I anticipated this but not once did the GM bother to even ask me why we were leaving early. We actually had a couple of othe reasons for leaving earlier (unrelated to the hotel) but surely it would have been courteous to ask if everything was okay about our stay? Evidently not. So, on checking out, the Receptionist presented me with our bill, and sure enough there was absolutely no negotiation whatsoever - this was a contract between me and the hotel -something I accepted but I made sure the Receptionist was in no doubt as to the main reason we were leaving. In my opinion, I was MISLED into believing that Mother and I would have a quiet relaxing break, and because of the nightmare of accessibility, it was far from that. Therefore I would NOT recommend this hotel to anyone with mobility problems.

• Stayed August 2009
1 Thank SmartGirl007
Also consider these accommodations in or near Swanage
Grand Hotel Swanage
Harbour Heights Hotel
Hotel du Vin Poole
Hotel du Vin Poole
#4 of 13 in Poole

Been to Purbeck House Hotel & Louisa Lodge? Share your experiences!