“Very good, friendly hotel”

Purbeck House Hotel & Louisa Lodge
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Swanage
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Very good, friendly hotel”
Reviewed July 12, 2013

I stayed here for just the one night in July 2013. We were impressed by the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff. The location of the hotel was excellent and the room was spacious and quite well appointed. We only ate breakfast at the hotel, but this was very pleasant. We would definitely return (particularly if we could take our new dog with us!).

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Robert I

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 10, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights with a sole purpose of visiting the Swanagae heritage railway.

The hotel is located very much in the center of Swanage, so very ideal for getting around on foot, taking just a couple of minutes to both the heritage railway and also the sea front, situated straight up the hill from the station with a good number of pubs and restaurants near by.
Prices are per person, instead of per room, taking on the B&B tradition.

I stayed in a twin room in the 'Louisa Lodge' which is a more modern building, behind the older character building. The lodge, whilst served the purpose of somewhere to sleep for 2 nights, had thin walls and warm rooms. The room I had was on the middle floor, with the edge of the room slopped in. The two twin single beds where adequate for the nights however there was nothing special about them. I have certainly slept in more comfortable beds.
The room is very basic and reminds me of a Travelodge room. There was a basic picture up on the wall and the furniture made the room look more like a 1970s setting.
An individual reading light was next to each bed with just the 1 working.
No air conditioning in rooms either, which made for quite a warm room, even at the start of May.
The bathroom was also looking rather dated. A bath and shower attachment is provided as well as a few toiletries.

Breakfast was included in the expensive room rates regardless if you wanted it or not.
It is served from 8am in a large conservatory on the back of the main building. It is table ordered with a buffet available of fruit juice and cereals along with the usual bread products.
With a breakfast being ordered at the table, I would have expected a good quality freshly cooked one. Unfortunately, it was just warm and left the impression it had been sitting around for a while. The breakfast the second morning tasted much nicer and also arrived much hotter, which was at the very start of breakfast service, which to me, proves my theory.

The hotel has a small bar area in the main building which also serves light bites. There is a restaurant at the hotel, although I was informed on check-in one had to pre-book. I did not use the restaurant during my stay,

On check out, I asked if American Express was accepted or not to settle the bill and was told "only if you do not have anything else". I was slightly taken back by this and asked again if could pay by my preferred method of payment before being asked if I had another card.
If you wish to pay by AMEX, take note that although they do not like it, it IS accepted. When booking the room a deposit is taken with the remainder payable on departure.

The hotel could do with a make over and the room prices reduced. For the money I paid, it was not worth it. About the only good thing going was the location in Swanage.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank metromuppet
Cowplain, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 9, 2013

My wife and I stayed at this hotel for two nights. First the good points. Friendly staff, great location, brilliant building with loads of period features. Room was spacious, bed very comfortable and en-suite of a high standard.
The only drawback was the food. Neither my wife nor myself consider that we are fussy eaters, but we expect a certain standard and value for money. This we found to be lacking at this hotel. Firstly the food in the restaurant was somewhat overpriced, between £3 to £5 per main course on average, and secondly all the main meals were either covered in something or in a sauce. Nothing was plain and simple. The bar meals, were better, but my sirloin steak appeared to have been reheated and was gristly.
Breakfast was also disappointing, for although the choice of cereals, fruit and yogurt was first rate, the cooked breakfast included tinned mushrooms, and the eggy water the poached eggs had been cooked in, as a slatted spoon was not used to get them out of the pan. In consequence the fried bread went all soggy, and it affected the taste of the bacon. The sausages appeared to have been pre-cooked and reheated, they tasted horrible.
I do not like to criticise a hotel, but in all honesty neither my wife nor myself enjoyed any meal we had here. At £150 per night, standards should have been much higher.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Guild4dlad
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Being able to walk to the sea and shops is a must for us so the location is ideal. Large free car park takes that stress away too. Fabulous sea view from our room. Staff friendly and attentive. Menu not really ideal for my low fat diet over a longer stay but the staff made a big effort to adapt ingredients accordingly. I would highly recommend Swanage and this hotel for a relaxed and stress free break.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank ssqube
Bedfordshire
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We stayed here here for 3 nights, loved the building, loved the grounds. The food was very good, not pretentious but good quality food. We had room 16, very large and lovely views. Would definately stay again.

Room Tip: Had room 16, had friends that stayed in room 7 also excellent.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Susan B
Dorset, UK
Reviewed June 27, 2013

Nice hotel, good location, great views of the coast but needs a bit of modernising and some work done to the decor and rooms, my bathroom was out dated and tiles cracked and the hairdryer looked like it was from the 1970s! Felt it was also slightly over priced.

I Stayed for one night only, didn't use the restaurant but i thought breakfast was excellent and all staff were very polite and helpful.

I would stay here again for the location but only if it was slightly cheaper.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Epping, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 26, 2013

We stayed 2 nights , originally in a room with balcony which we found a little cramped but shower decided not to work so we were immediately changed to a twin room which although cheaper was actually larger, which suited better. Food was excellent we ate one dinner there and breakfasts and the presentation was very good. Staff were really friendly and couldn't have been more helpful. I would certainly recommend the hotel and return.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Swanage
Grand Hotel Swanage
Hotel du Vin Poole
Hotel du Vin Poole
#5 of 13 in Poole
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,127 reviews

Been to Purbeck House Hotel & Louisa Lodge? Share your experiences!