“Lovely restaurant and great food.”
Review of The Green

The Green
Reserve with OpenTable
The Green is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 53 Restaurants in Sherborne
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed March 8, 2013

Great restaurant in gorgeous town. Staff are extremely attentive, excellent wine list and the menu is always varied with plenty of locally sourced food on offer. Ideal restaurant for special occasions or just a cosy romantic dinner for two. New ownership doing brilliantly! Well-done The Green!

Reviewed February 22, 2013

We ate here for the second time and had a very good meal. I had scallops to start that were perfectly cooked and beautifully presented.For main I chose gurnard which was also delicious.service was excellent and we had a very nice evening.Shall be returning next time we are in Sherborne.

1  Thank joanne106
Reviewed February 7, 2013

I visited the Green last night with some friends and we had a wonderful evening! I had the hay smoked salmon which was fabulous followed by the bream which was perfectly cooked and tasted incredibly fresh and delicious - perfect with the cavolo nero. Ginger sticky toffee pudding followed and was totally dreamy. Great choice of wine, we chose a Sherborne Castle bottle which was surprisingly good and there was a great atmosphere in there - especially for a Thursday night - it was busy and buzzing. We all thought the food was amazing and the service was just perfect. I'm very much looking forward to going back there again soon with my husband and children, it is fantastic to have such a great restaurant on our doorstep.

Reviewed January 30, 2013

Loved the Green with Michael in charge but it is impossible to keep on presenting such wonderful food without a break, which he fully deserves. Had lunch today for the first time under the new owners and it was fantastic. It seemed much the same with a new twist or two - just right for old and new diners alike. Well done and welcome to Sherborne!

Reviewed January 28, 2013

Never too happy with change, especially when I liked what it was before the change; however, in this case the owners sold up, so new owners have taken up the reins.

I have eaten at The Green a couple of times now, and now feel that a review is in order. The £20.12 menu has become a little disappointing with its now lack of option; although, the Al a Carte menu has returned, offering a nice range of options.

The starters are not quite as nice in my opinion, can't quite put my finger on it. For example, one menu starter is written up as "Dorset Crab", without further description. On asking the very helpful waitress she was able to find out that it consisted of a trio of crab related concoctions. This sounded right up my culinary street; however, it was a tiny bit disappointing. Next visit, I had the "Hay Smoked Salmon and Horseradish Mousse", I don't want to say anything bad, I just was not that fussed on it.

The mains, thank heavens, lovely. So far, I have had the "Blade of Beef" and the "Rump of Lamb", both were superb in my opinion; beautifully cooked and prepared, delivered exquisitely and perfect portion size; faultless. Can't quite understand why I am not taken by the starters, yet the mains I could almost swear have improved.

We have not tried the desserts, we don't usually feel the need having a starter; however, in future I may try the dessert instead of a starter. Front of house is still as professional as ever and very accommodating. The price is a noticeable difference, its gone up. The green was always great service, great food and great value; the jury's still out, for now.