“misleading website and reviews”
Review of The Bakehouse

The Bakehouse
Ranked #8 of 24 Sherborne B&B and Inns
Horsham, United Kingdom
“misleading website and reviews”
Reviewed May 5, 2014

very disappointed, generally it felt like a real let down, although Malcolm was nice and the breakfast was tasty I felt like I was staying in a single man's hostel! He was not there to meet us and all the blinds were drawn, I had to knock loudly and phone twice before I got entry.We were given an attic room with random furniture (and not in the good 'shabby chic' kind of way) which we had to get to through a courtyard area where other residents were smoking, the smell carried into the dark hallway which had a random chair left at the end. In the bathroom, although superficially clean, there was masses of hair in the plug hole which I had to remove to have a shower (Malcolm not being there when we arrived to talk to about it) and this revealed lots of hair showing this had not been cleaned for some time, Essentially our room looked nothing like the pictures on their website and I was suspicious of how clean things really were. The breakfast food was good however the kitchen area was very dirty and dusty with lots of clutter and a dog wandering about, some people had said it felt cosy but these people obviously don't have clean homes because it made me feel uncomfortable. When I was shown to a table for breakfast someone had previously been eating there and the cup and plate and crumbs were just left there! Also there was a regular beeping sound throughout the night (like you get when the batteries on your smoke alarm are going) so that was annoying. Location was very good if you need to be in central Sherborne but overall it was very disappointing and ruined our planned romantic weekend away :(

Room Tip: choose a room in a different B&B
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
malcs52, Owner at The Bakehouse, responded to this review, May 9, 2014
i am very sorry you were not happy with your room , the attic family room is in my view is well kept and spacious , most of our guests seem to be happy with us , we can not be held to account for other guests smoking in an outside area , i dont like smoking full stop but feel it would be unfair to ban it totally and you are just walking past them to get to your room ,, your comment quote ,( ,some people had said it felt cosy but these people obviously don't have clean homes because it made me feel uncomfortable.) seems to be very
disrespectful to people who you have never met maybe ,! weekends here are very busy and sometimes crumbs are missed i hope you were not too traumatised by the experience , its also made very clear we are dog friendly so its not surprising that you may meet one .. we feel our website truly reflects our rooms thank you for your comments

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Reviewed April 27, 2014

I had read all of the previous reviews, and granted Malcolm is wonderful, what a warm and generous individual. Malcolm offered to watch our dog after she wouldn't settle for the evening so that we could enjoy an evening out. Breakfast was nice and made to order as every one commented on
On the other hand, despite the lovely welcome and generous host, the accommodation was a little lacking, firstly, they use coded locks to enter the front door and all the rooms. Unfortunately the locks can be glitchy and require patience! Even when you thought you had them figured out, you didn't. The lights in the hallway were on a timer but lasted only seconds, not giving you a chance to get the code on the door into place. Luckily Malcolm came to the rescue and knew the codes despite the dark. My mother in law struggled with a lack of heating and in Malcolm's defence did everything he could to sort the issue and all was fine. Late night quests loud and obnoxious but again nothing that Malcolm could have prevented and he made amends for the disturbance.
All in all, just a little disappointing.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
malcs52, Owner at The Bakehouse, responded to this review, May 9, 2014
i am sorry you had problems with our code system ,we have used these for almost 10 yrs ,this system in our view is easy to use but we understand when people are elderly and poor sighted it can be a problem , as for other guests returning back late and being noisy ,,this i know is very boring , we try our best to make sure guests act in a respectful way and as you mentioned we gave you a discount to reflect this , finally the heating comes on at 6 am til 11 am and then from 5pm til 9 pm , we dont heat the house all day long as we assume people will be out during the day , i might add that the majority of our guests are happy with our services and i am sorry you were not. kind regards malcolm
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 17, 2014

I was working in the area, and needed a cheap friendly place to stay, this was perfect. After working a hard week i was able to arrive at a time that was convenient for me,, was shown my clean room and bathroom. Was offered a glass or two of wine (on the house) Breakfast was great and made to order, (even at a time earlier than normal). Internet is free and fast. I will be returning to the Bakehouse next time i'm working in the area.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank b S
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 10, 2014

Staying for a family event in the town, we were told that we could arrive at our convenience and we received a very friendly welcome from Malcolm. The room was warm, but not too hot, with all the usual facilities you would expect at a B&B including a large screen TV and a nice shower. Amazingly, you can order an evening meal at this comfortable, very friendly house, which is close to the centre of Sherborne, the station, Abbey and the main shopping street (Cheap Street). Breakfast is cooked to order and the owner welcomes you in the morning with a firm hand shake. We could even leave without paying and pay by internet transfer from home. Thank you for a wonderfully homely stay and I look forward to our next visit.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank jkblue
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 10, 2014

Arriving early evening in Sherborne for a family occasion, we received a lovely greeting from the owner & his beautiful golden Labrador 'Charlie'. Our room was clean and warm, with a large bed, big flat screen TV, & the requested view of Sherborne Abbey. The ensuite shower was nice and hot with excellent power (morning and early evening). Bed comfortable. Most important for me was the breakfast... cooked to order and delicious! Other reviewers say "Home from Home" and I felt that here. A lovely atmosphere day and night and an owner who cares for his guests. Thank you.

Room Tip: Choose room 2. Wonderful view of Sherborne Abbey both day and night.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dee J
Selsey, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 27, 2013

I had a very enjoyable stay at the Old Bakehouse over Christmas.

A very friendly welcoming B & B, my room was extremely comfortable, nicely furnished

Always good to have a decent shower in the bathroom, and the one at the Bakehouse was no exception.

Plenty of large bath towels provided.

Good supply of Tea, Coffee and hot chocolate provided in the room.

Breakfast was excellent and cooked to order, and served from 7:00 till 11:00.

Highly recommended, and will definitely stay again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Ricky H
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 20, 2013

I was on my own, and as I tend to stay in Hostels throughout the World, I booked 2 nights in a shared hostel room. As it turned out, the first night I was on my own, and the second, Malcolm the owner kindly moved me into a single room at no extra cost. Each to their own, but if you are looking for a very reasonably priced stay in a popular town, and don't mind a somewhat quirky setup, this is the place. As I had only booked for a hostel bed, the breakfast was extra, but this was excellent, filling and again very reasonably priced. The Bakehouse is also very conveniently placed for the best (and cheapish) pub in town, along with a good restaurants, and the Abbey.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sherborne
Best Western Dorset Oborne the Grange Hotel
#3 of 24 in Sherborne
The Plume of Feathers
The Plume of Feathers
#9 of 24 in Sherborne

Been to The Bakehouse? Share your experiences!