“Excellent location in the town with views of the Abbey” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Half Moon Inn

Half Moon Inn
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Sherborne
cambridgeshire
“Excellent location in the town with views of the Abbey”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2008

I stayed in this hotel for the weekend at the end of October. I found the hotel staff very friendly, nothing was too much trouble The bar and restaurant staff were polite, friendly and had a sense of humour. I especially liked the spacious rooms that were tastefully decorated. They were clean and fresh.
For me the location of the Inn was superb, I parked the car on Friday and didnt use it again untill I left on Sunday. Everything such as the station, the town ,the Abbey, the castle and the lovely slopes walks were a short walk away. Olivers in the town is the place to go for a piece of cake.
The restaurant at Half moon is a lovely setting (love the foliage) and the meals are very nice. I was a bit concerned at some of the reviews I had read prior to going but they are OUT OF DATE.
Under new management since the spring of 2008 the Inn is a friendly , vibrant place and I wouldnt hesitate to go back there and fully intend to do so.
I am going to have that lasagne !

Mrs wilson cambridgeshire.

• Liked — it was clean and spacious
  • Disliked — Nothing it tcked all the boxes for me.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank Cambsjaxo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2008

I booked this hotel on the back of a review on this site, as all the hotels I wanted to stay in were full - it was for a Saturday night at short notice. So thanks for the warning about ear plugs! The reception was friendly and the room was nice and big. There were two beds - one single and a very small double. We pulled them out to make one super bed and the carpet underneath was littered with ear plugs and other bits and bobs. Someone needs to have a word with the cleaners. We slept very well (one of us in each bed) but avoided breakfast - not sure why but my gut feeling told me that there was better to be had elsewhere. The location is stunning - right next to the abbey - and the deli / cafe next door does really nice breakfasts. As long as you're not expecting the Ritz the half Moon is perfectly passable.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Messy room
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank mightyshepherd
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2008

I was booked into this accommodation by my company in the course of my duties. Have to say I wasn't looking forward to it after reading the previous review.

In the event I was relieved to find that the standard, relative to other SW UK B&B accom, was high. Rack-rate appears expensive - currently GBP79, I believe - but I don't know what the company paid. I was put in rm 12 on the 2nd (top) floor, facing the Abbey - you soon realise why the staff leave 2 packets of ear-plugs on the bedside table! The road outside wasn't too busy after 23:00, but the Abbey clock does chime the quarter-hour.

The room was well-decorated and appointed, with full CTMF including cocoa and Ovaltine plus 2 small packets of biscuits. Excellent TV/Radio with full freeview. Good shower with strong pressure - all v. clean.

Overall, I'd cheerfully go back but would possibly request a room facing the back of the building if I wanted a quieter night.

• Liked — Cleanliness and standard of facilities
  • Disliked — Noise from street, Abbey bells and (early evening) revellers
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
London, UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2005

We ended up at this hotel for a night in December 2005 after finding all the local tourist information centres closed for staff training and being left stranded... The tariff was £69 (B&B) and we felt it offered poor value. The room in itself was okay in terms of size and outlook, but its condition was poor. Peeling paint, cracks in the wall, a broken old trouser press, the smell of cigarette smoke from the room next door, generally pretty tired... Cleanliness of the shower head and the toilet were questionable. The shower had great pressure but the screen leaked and we ended up with a major flood. Luckily when we asked for towels to mop it up they arrived quickly.
Breakfast and dinner at the hotel were okay.

16 Thank Sashina_L

Travelers are raving about these Sherborne hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sherborne
BEST WESTERN Dorset Oborne the Grange Hotel
#7 of 24 in Sherborne
The Britannia Inn Hotel
The Britannia Inn Hotel
#5 of 24 in Sherborne

Been to Half Moon Inn? Share your experiences!