“Good value!”
Review of Half Moon Inn

Half Moon Inn
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Sherborne
Reviewed February 10, 2013

When you are paying only £35 per night (including breakfast!!), it’s difficult to fault the hotel!

There were a few bad points: the room had a few maintenance problems and was too hot, which meant that we had to have the window open at night. However, there was noise from the street outside as late as 3am - and the bells at Sherborne Abbey chime every 15 minutes all night long. This is not the hotel’s fault, obviously!

Having said that, The Half Moon is a really nice pub - it’s full of character, the staff are really friendly, the breakfast was superb and the room rate was truly amazing!!

I would stay again but I would ask for a room on the top floor at the back of the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the top floor at the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PoshHotelJunky

Reviewed February 9, 2013 via mobile

Booked a suite room for just £60 - should have realised something was wrong when I entered the room which was freezing and found a plug in radiator. Informed reception and told that the room heating was not working and additional stand alone heaters delivered - £20 reduction offered and staff informed me that this was the norm for room 9! - en suite mouldy on the ceilings and shower grouting - staff very pleasant but Marstons should be able to get it right - shame

• Stayed: February 2013
2  Thank Bull20
Reviewed January 4, 2013

We stayed just after Christmas for three nights. Arrived just after 2 pm, no one at reception to greet us, went into bar and was soon attended to. We had a very comfortable room on the second floor at the front and the bathroom was so large. When we booked the room we were advised that it could be noisy but we heard no noise at all. On the first night we had a very nice meal at very reasonable prices and the breakfast was very good as well. All meals were hot and well presented. We will certainly stay there again when we visit family - fully recommend.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Barbara W
Reviewed December 27, 2012

Great place to stay, the staff are very friendly and very helpful. We took our 4 year old grandson with us and nothing was too much trouble. Rooms were very clean and comfortable and we had a great breakfast. We will definately go back.

Room Tip: Room no.1 is a little noisey on a busy nights but we slept well when the bar closed. It did not kee...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 27, 2012

I stayed over Christmas this year for two nights at the Half Moon Sherborne Dorset.

I arrived at around 2:00 pm on 24th December, and went to the check in desk, I waited about 15 minutes and no one came to attend to me, and there was no bell to let them know of my presence.

I went in to the bar, tried to alert a member of staff to my presence, but after 10 minutes of waiting and being ignored, I went back to the check in desk, where a Lady walk past me and then back out again, I then said can I check in please, but was told, she was busy "love" and would come back soon.

One think I hate is in a establishment that I am a customer of is being called love !

Finally I was checked it, and was told my room would not be serviced during my stay, "as it is Christmas you know love" and breakfast is only between 8 and 9 as it was Christmas (Love) .

I had no Problem with the room, a small but quite comfortable single.

Around 5:00 pm I went to the bar, to meet some Friends, who I was visiting over Christmas, and went to the bar to get some drinks.

I waited around 10 minutes, to try to get served, without any success, then two lady bar staff cane towards me, the walk passed me, put there coats on, put cigarettes in their mouths, ignored me and went for a smoke.

So I moved to the other part of the bar, and waited another 10 minutes or so, finally after a while I was served by the barman, I know they were busy, but didn't help by having had the staff outside smoking and chatting.

I showed him for my drink I had a voucher code from Marstons, so ordered a Guinness, which he half poured, then said Guinness was not included, which was my fault for not looking at the terms, so I paid him the money, as I was doing this another customer put a load of pound coins on the bar he had won in the fruit machine, and wanted it changed up, so my Guinness remained still half poured, while he then attended to someone else, after waiting at least another 10 minutes he was still counting the money up, and I asked was there any chance of getting my drink ? He then calked a bar maid over, and asked her to finish it, she said yes, then left it and went to serve another customer, by this time, I was getting very angry, and asked again for my drink, which I finally got !!!!!

I then drank up, and my friends and myself decided to go elsewhere to drink.

Christmas morning I got to have breakfast at 8:00 a.m as requested, there was only me there, I was once again address as love, and told to help myself to juice and cereal, which I did, then I was only quarter away through my cereal, when my cooked breakfast was shoved in front of me.

I tried to get a second coffee and there was no one around to serve me, so gave up, and started to go to my room, only to see about 6 staff outside chatting and smoking by the door.

On the whole I was very dissatisfied, and being told that a lot f the lack of service, was due to Christmas, I thought being a guest over the Christmas period, I would be made to have a more special time, not less.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Ricky H
Reviewed November 30, 2012

Arrived at the Half Moon on probably the wettest windiest day of the year, dripping wet, received a great welcome, felt at home straight away. Room although compact was spotlessly clean and lovely and warm throughout. Great breakfast each morning, nice to be offered black pudding. Bar meals very generous portions & good value. Staff very efficient and friendly. Great base for those travelling by train, station is just a 5 minute walk away. Would highly recommend this inn to friends & family and would certainly stay again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 12, 2012 via mobile

Lovely place to stay, the staff are very friendly, nothing is too much trouble they are always willing to help and greet you with a smile, will definitely stay again. I had a Lovely week.

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank Treve1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sherborne
Best Western Dorset Oborne the Grange Hotel
#8 of 24 in Sherborne
The Bakehouse
The Bakehouse
#9 of 24 in Sherborne

Been to Half Moon Inn? Share your experiences!