“Clean and Comfortable”

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Sherborne
Bedford
“Clean and Comfortable”
Reviewed January 4, 2013

We stayed just after Christmas for three nights. Arrived just after 2 pm, no one at reception to greet us, went into bar and was soon attended to. We had a very comfortable room on the second floor at the front and the bathroom was so large. When we booked the room we were advised that it could be noisy but we heard no noise at all. On the first night we had a very nice meal at very reasonable prices and the breakfast was very good as well. All meals were hot and well presented. We will certainly stay there again when we visit family - fully recommend.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Barbara W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Kent.
Reviewed December 27, 2012

Great place to stay, the staff are very friendly and very helpful. We took our 4 year old grandson with us and nothing was too much trouble. Rooms were very clean and comfortable and we had a great breakfast. We will definately go back.

Room Tip: Room no.1 is a little noisey on a busy nights but we slept well when the bar closed. It did not kee...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Selsey, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 27, 2012

I stayed over Christmas this year for two nights at the Half Moon Sherborne Dorset.

I arrived at around 2:00 pm on 24th December, and went to the check in desk, I waited about 15 minutes and no one came to attend to me, and there was no bell to let them know of my presence.

I went in to the bar, tried to alert a member of staff to my presence, but after 10 minutes of waiting and being ignored, I went back to the check in desk, where a Lady walk past me and then back out again, I then said can I check in please, but was told, she was busy "love" and would come back soon.

One think I hate is in a establishment that I am a customer of is being called love !

Finally I was checked it, and was told my room would not be serviced during my stay, "as it is Christmas you know love" and breakfast is only between 8 and 9 as it was Christmas (Love) .

I had no Problem with the room, a small but quite comfortable single.

Around 5:00 pm I went to the bar, to meet some Friends, who I was visiting over Christmas, and went to the bar to get some drinks.

I waited around 10 minutes, to try to get served, without any success, then two lady bar staff cane towards me, the walk passed me, put there coats on, put cigarettes in their mouths, ignored me and went for a smoke.

So I moved to the other part of the bar, and waited another 10 minutes or so, finally after a while I was served by the barman, I know they were busy, but didn't help by having had the staff outside smoking and chatting.

I showed him for my drink I had a voucher code from Marstons, so ordered a Guinness, which he half poured, then said Guinness was not included, which was my fault for not looking at the terms, so I paid him the money, as I was doing this another customer put a load of pound coins on the bar he had won in the fruit machine, and wanted it changed up, so my Guinness remained still half poured, while he then attended to someone else, after waiting at least another 10 minutes he was still counting the money up, and I asked was there any chance of getting my drink ? He then calked a bar maid over, and asked her to finish it, she said yes, then left it and went to serve another customer, by this time, I was getting very angry, and asked again for my drink, which I finally got !!!!!

I then drank up, and my friends and myself decided to go elsewhere to drink.

Christmas morning I got to have breakfast at 8:00 a.m as requested, there was only me there, I was once again address as love, and told to help myself to juice and cereal, which I did, then I was only quarter away through my cereal, when my cooked breakfast was shoved in front of me.

I tried to get a second coffee and there was no one around to serve me, so gave up, and started to go to my room, only to see about 6 staff outside chatting and smoking by the door.

On the whole I was very dissatisfied, and being told that a lot f the lack of service, was due to Christmas, I thought being a guest over the Christmas period, I would be made to have a more special time, not less.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Ricky H

Travelers are raving about these Sherborne hotels

Brixham, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 30, 2012

Arrived at the Half Moon on probably the wettest windiest day of the year, dripping wet, received a great welcome, felt at home straight away. Room although compact was spotlessly clean and lovely and warm throughout. Great breakfast each morning, nice to be offered black pudding. Bar meals very generous portions & good value. Staff very efficient and friendly. Great base for those travelling by train, station is just a 5 minute walk away. Would highly recommend this inn to friends & family and would certainly stay again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 12, 2012 via mobile

Lovely place to stay, the staff are very friendly, nothing is too much trouble they are always willing to help and greet you with a smile, will definitely stay again. I had a Lovely week.

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank Treve1
Burton upon Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 9, 2012

From the time I arrived until my departure five days later the staff couldn't have been more friendly and helpful.
The food is of an excellent standard, breakfast was thoughly enjoyable with the staff being flexible and providing eggs benedict (something that wasn't on the menu). The evening food again was thoughly enjoyable washed down with some nice wine.
The bar had a good selection of real ales that got drunk very quickly.
Rooms were warm with a plentlyful supple of hot water for the power shower.
Hopefully I will get the chance to visit this lovely establishment again.

Room Tip: Room 12 give very little noise from the local bells and has a wonderful shower.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Maple Cross
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We had a lovely stay at the Half Moon Inn in october a good location in the centre of town for the shops and resterants,We had a nice room at the back our friends had a room at the front and could here the church clock.
Breakfast was good cereals ,fruit, full english nice dining room .The staff were very helpfull and
friendly
The bar at night was good with some good ales

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends