“Excellent food, but hit and miss service left a bad taste”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Sherborne Thai Restaurant - CLOSED

The Sherborne Thai Restaurant
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Excellent food, but hit and miss service left a bad taste”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013

Based on the strong reviews on this site, we booked a table here on a Saturday night when visiting the area.

We ordered a mixed starter to share, followed by a green king prawn curry and a red chicken curry. The food was exceptional, with well balanced flavours, and we were comfortably full and very happy as we finished our main meals.

Initially the servers were attentive and friendly; however, as soon as the dishes from our main course were cleared, everything changed. We became invisible! Our wine ran out, our water dwindled away, and we sat for half an hour as the tables around us were brought dessert menus, made their choices, were served desserts, offered coffee, had their plates cleared away. We sat listening to all this around us, trying to catch somebody's eye - our table was only a few inches from those around us - yet throughout all this, nobody came to see us: we were offered no desserts, no coffee.

After twenty minutes it stopped being a joke. It was a further ten minutes before we finally managed to wave somebody over to bring us the bill. It was an unnecessarily bad-tasting end to what started out as a good evening.

Catherine Davis
“Our favourite restaurant in Sherborne”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2013 via mobile

Having lived in the area for a number of years we were really pleased to come across this restaurant. We have visited on numerous occasions and always leave very satisfied and happy.

Sadly we can't claim to have eaten in Thailand but we have eaten at various Thai restaurants. The food at The Sherborne Thai Restaurant is second to none, always freshly prepared and promptly served. The service we've experienced ha always been attentive and helpful. We've also visited as part of a larger table and the service and food was still of a very high standard.

Quite simply a delicious meal with over-and-above customer service. Ignore previous bad review!

• Visited May 2013
“Ignore the other review from 5th may 2013!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2013

I knew there would be a bad review pop up! I was eating in the restaurant at the same time as the lady rambling on and I can assure you everyone else in the restaurant was enjoying their meal having a lovely time. I have eaten here a few times and have never once been disappointed. The food is excellent, the staff are friendly and the price of the food is reasonable. The gentleman with this lady looked embarrassed to be with her whilst she moaned and groaned as did everybody else in the restaurant. She was clearly after a free meal as she threatened a trip advisor review from the off! Beware! I wonder how many other restaurants she does this in!! Please try it for yourself, do not listen to other reviews.

3 Thank Twiggydavis
London
“Foodies Avoid!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2013

Quite simply, the worst meal and horrendous service that I have recieved in a VERY long time. If this is the second best restaurant in Sherborne, as voted by those on Tripadvisor, then I dread to think what the other eateries in the town are like! (actually in fairness we had a meal the day before in the Eastbury Hotel, and that was excellent). Somebody has written on one of the reviews "the best Thai food outside of Thailand", well my comment to that is "you need to get out more!". Seriously, I have eaten Thai food in Thailand, and indeed in Thai restaurants in the UK, Europe and around the world, and this without a shadow of doubt was simply the worst, and this is why:
1. We ordered a mixed starter PLUS a portion of Thai fish cakes, and the Thai Fish Cakes never arrived.
2. One of the items on the mixed starter was still frozen so was sent back.
3. We ordered stickiy rice with the main and egg fried rice arrived, so that was sent back.
4. For my main I ordered Massanam which had too much chili and was therefore inedible. I managed to eat no more than 25% and left the remaining 75%.
When the waitress collected our dishes and asked if we enjoyed the meal as she looked at my uneaten food, I said that it was horrible.
Now, given all this information which was a catalogue of disasters and complaints and an uneaten main course we were presented with the full bill with no offer of compensation.
I spoke to the manageress and listed (as above) my thoughts on the establishment and that being charged full price for a main that was not eaten, really was BAD customer service but we paid none the less.
After a few minutes as we were about to leave, the owner, a gentlemen, stomped over to our table, said nothing and slammed down the money we had paid!! No apology, no nothing!
He left £80 on the table and we left leaving £40 pounds of it as we had had a bottle of wine (which was good) and some beer and an my partner had eaten his food.
With good customer service, this situation could have been avoided, but clearly, the management, and the staff, and the kitchen, have not got a clue what they are doing.
If you are happy with takeaway Thai food quality then feel free to eat at this place, but for foodies, such as myself, save yourself the bother and pass.

• Visited May 2013
TheDutyManager, Owner at The Sherborne Thai Restaurant, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
We are disappointed but not surprised you have left this adverse review after your visit saturday evening, after all you did say you would go straight on the trip advisor website "If you don't sort the bill out"

I accept our failings / shortcomings in relation to the error with the starter dish, however you did have the opportunity to make the waitress aware of the fact there was a dish short when a check back was performed but nothing was said by yourselves at that stage.

I am at a complete loss as to how one of the dishes was still "Frozen in the middle". Our team work tirelessly to offer consistent quality food each day, every savoury dish is homemade on site . . . .

As for the massaman curry, the chilli is added at the very end to just garnish . . . .

Having successfully operated restaurants for over twenty five years, I believe I have got a clue.
Eastleigh
“Small venue, big taste”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2013 via mobile

I was pleasantly surprised by this place, which is an off shoot of a local pub. Walked into the pub and thought oh dear, but went through a short corridor and into a small Thai restaurant. The food was tasty with the usual suspects e.g. chicken satay and the service was friendly and attentive.

Good selection of food, well prepared and the dining area, though small, was light and airy. Reasonably central to town and not far from the station.

Worth a visit and not too expensive.

Visited April 2013