“Good meal”

Dining options: Reservations
Hopkins, Belize
“Good meal”
Reviewed August 15, 2014

After walking out of two pubs in Sherborne, the first for being generally dirty and screaming children running around, the second for not being very clean or having much atmosphere, and being ignored by the staff, we went into the George, and were offered a table. The food was simple and homely, as well as tasting fresh. The service was friendly and attentive, Prices reasonable.

• Visited August 2014
2 Thank sittee

Perth, Australia
“Old - and worth avoiding”
Reviewed August 2, 2014

This pub makes a lot over it's status as the oldest in Sherborne, but it is charmless and the publican substitutes the drinks he has on tap with other (cheaper??) options. He was rude when questioned about it. There are other, much better pubs opposite and down the road.

Visited July 2014
2 Thank MarieK2.
Brian T, Owner at The George, responded to this review, August 14, 2014
I have read your comments and fail to see what you are actually complaining about. Obviously the food and drink were to your liking. As to your suggestion which, is also a slur on my character, by implying that I deliberately miss sold beers by substituting cheaper or other than displayed beggar’s belief.
On the day in question my discounted ale was Ringwood Boondoggle ABV 4.2, as no pump clip was supplied by the brewery, I modified a Ringwood Showman’s Tipple ABV 3.8 pump clip.
For anyone to suggest that the Boondoggle was a cheaper option obviously has little knowledge of Real Ale.
Incidentally one of the definitions for boondoggle is
“to waste time”, it would appear that I have just been boondoggling.
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
“What a friendly pub”
Reviewed June 27, 2014

Called in for a drink before dining at a restaurant nearby. The landlord was extremely friendly and so were a couple of the locals sitting at the bar. We spent a very pleasant hour. The drinks were very reasonably priced. We would have returned to eat if we had not been finishing our holiday the next day. £8.95 for a two course roast sounds like great value

Visited June 2014
1 Thank Lorelei2
slough
“lovely pub”
Reviewed June 26, 2014

this is the oldest pub in sherbourne and the staff are very nice food is good and people very friendly

Visited June 2014
Wincanton, United Kingdom
“Good quality wholesome food and excellent atmosphere”
Reviewed June 13, 2014

We visited The George today for lunch, taking my Mother on her 89th Birthday. We were welcomed to the premises and treated with great care. The food was good home style cooking and very good value. The pub was busy and obviously popular although this did not detract from the excellent service provided. Only drawback was the fact that I was so full up after eating my meal that I couldn't manage a pudding. Worth a visit.

• Visited June 2014