“I'm sure the food is great, but.......”
Review of Le Chanterelle - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Le Chanterelle
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Shaftesbury
“I'm sure the food is great, but.......”
Reviewed January 22, 2012

Having read all the rave reviews on here, and living just up the road we decided to give La Chantarelle a try as my birthday treat in Dec 2011.
Unfortunately after trying 7 times over 2 days to book a table over the phone, and receiving no reply ( not even an answer phone message) I gave up and we went to the same old boring Indian in town. Very disappointing and makes me not want to bother trying this place in future........

Visited December 2011

Plymouth, United Kingdom
“THE BEST CHEESE SOUFFLES IN THE WEST!!!”
Reviewed January 19, 2012

Visited this restaurant again for lunch - had another truly lovely meal with really very attentive friendly service at very reasonable rates!
Would highly recommend visiting the restaurant for it's signature dish of Cheese Souffle - the best we have tasted!!
The big mystery is where was everybody - we were the only diners at lunchtime on this occasion!!

• Visited November 2011
2 Thank BUCK147
Gillingham, United Kingdom
“A perfect place for a special moment - without the scary price tag!”
Reviewed July 31, 2011

We have just come back from yet another visit to this wonderful restaurant, having had the most beautiful meal - as always!!
We discovered this "hidden gem" about three years ago and it has become our first choice for all those special ocassions - birthdays, anniversaries, etc. From the moment you walk in, you are welcomed and treated as special guests. The atmosphere is gentle and warm, with attention paid to all details.
As for the food - well, the only thing I can say is WOW!!!!
A 3 course set menu for only £25 - with the most amazing cheese souffle I have ever eaten - cheaper than many pubs yet matching standards with high quality, expensive hotel restaurants.
Ryan is a fantastic chef; every single dish we have ever had has been superb, both in presentation and taste! His ingredients are of the highest quality, as are his culinery skills. He may be young (as noted by the last reviewer on this site) but he certainly has the experience and expertise necessary to produce top quality dishes.
Can't wait to go back again - the sooner the better!

• Visited July 2011
1 Thank Iansar
Milton Keynes
“Lovely food, shame about the atmosphere”
Reviewed July 15, 2011

We visited Le Chanterelle after our regular haunt was fully booked, as a birthday meal. We had heard it recommended and figured we'd give it a go. After ringing and booking, we arrived and were met at the door by the hostess and found the place to be empty apart from us. In a way, it was nice to have it to ourselves, but it did make it feel like you were imposing a bit and it did lack atmosphere as a result. The service was unintrusive, despite our being there by ourselves, and they were accommodating of our 5yr old too. Unfortunately, the chef was overheard arguing with the hostess (I can't say waitress as it just doesn't feel accurate!) and it only made us feel more uncomfortable. I know arguments happen in restaurants but not normally where they can be overheard. Rather unprofessional really.
We were given fresh bread and roasted nuts as aperetif, which was nice. Starters were well made and nicely flavoured. The tomato tart was packed with tomato flavour and perfectly sized. The pate was delicious although slightly oversized as a starter. The cheese souffle was too rich for our daughter (despite recommendation from the staff) and in too large a portion for most people as a starter let alone a child. The main courses were a bit of a let down after the starters but pleasant enough. The confit duck was overcooked and the lamb shank was lacking in real flavour (although the accompanying ratatouille was very tasty). Could have done with more vegetables really, 3 asparagus spears is not much for a whole lamb shank or duck leg.
Pudding was a triumph. Lemon tart was evidently homemade and tasty. The strawberry sorbet with the tart
was overpowered by the Rose water in it which made it taste of Turkish delight and not to my liking although hubby ate the lot. The chocolate fondant was exactly what a fondant should be - gooey in the middle and on the right side of sweet without being sickly.
Overall, it was a bit of a mixed bag. I enjoyed my meal but wasn't enthralled by it. Would I go back? Probably not. £25 for 3 courses is very good value but I would pay that bit more for a higher standard of meal at our usual haunt. On a busier night, the whole place could be completely different. The chef is only young and can be forgiven for the flaws in the dishes we had but I still wanted that bit more.

1 Thank Whiterose1407
Shaftesbury, United Kingdom
“Superb!”
Reviewed June 18, 2011

Ate here and had a fantastic meal. My wife and I were the only ones there the night we went but the lovely staff made us really welcome. Food is really very good - compares to some much more expensive places. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone.

1 Thank CoDorset