“Beautiful and tasteful - but could do better”
Review of The Grosvenor Arms

The Grosvenor Arms
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Shaftesbury
Reviewed April 16, 2014

Utterly stunning interiors, however disappointed that there was no peppermint tea. The very good rating is more for the decor than the refreshements. Would be interested to eat here but am a keen mint tea drinker. Could you get some mint tea or better still have a fresh tub of mint on the bar and pick some leaves, that would add to the charm.

2  Thank Rowills
Brett H, General Manager at The Grosvenor Arms, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2014

Dear Rowills,

Thank you so much for the lovely comments you have made on our interior, we are always pleased when guests enjoy our new look. I am sorry that you were not offered any mint for your tea as we do provide freshly picked mint for our guests, and as you pointed out it does add a certain charm.

We hope you will visit us again and experience this offering.

Reviewed April 9, 2014

I have eaten here a couple of times now and even on hearing bad reviews about this place im yet to be let down. On being a restaurant manager my self I am always very picky about places. The style and decor has been done exceptionally well and the food has always been excellent and cooked to perfection. The 1st time I ate here it wasn't too busy but on Saturday when we ate here the place was packed which was really nice to see.

The only things I would comment on is that the staff need lots more personality. I think they are a good bunch but with the proper training and guidance they could be a lot better. It doesn't take much to strike up a conversation while you pay your bill. We were also served by a different member of staff for each thing we had. I would also like to see a much better range of cocktails....even though my appletini was amazing, in a champagne glass, NO!!! Also sorry guys, don't like the 10% service charge. If people enjoy it they will leave a tip of 10%...maybe even more if they get the chance to. Just a thought.

Will be back soon though!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Moonstonejune,

Thank you for your comments about our restaurant. We are delighted you had an enjoyable experience on both occasions. Thank you also for kind words about our decor and quality of food.

Our front of house team are a good bunch and work hard to ensure our guests enjoy their visit. We take note of your feedback on showing more personality by engaging with our guests more. This is something we will work on.

In relation to our 10% service charge added to the final bill, this is discretionary and guests are welcome to ask for it to be removed should they so choose. We feel by adding the service charge it helps make sure that every member of staff in the front and back of house have an equal share. Again this is entirely discretionary.

We look forward to your next visit and we trust it will be as enjoyable as the previous occasions.

Reviewed March 30, 2014 via mobile

What a fun place, not in a noisy way but in a quirky way. Beautifully renovated with stylish dinning a real jewel. And what an enchanting little town. Hovis of course makes the cobbled hill famous but the walk above along the old abbey grounds is worth a visit - the views are amazing! The hotel itself is well appointed and the free parking welcome. We had a junior suite and it's free standing bath in the ample bedroom was a pleasant surprise. Food delicious - risotto with poached duck egg for starters and a lemon posset for dessert cleansed the palette. Breakfast was perfect - high quality ingredients and just the right amount to make sure you don't feel stuffed. That said I do like a bowl of cereal as well for a full leisurely holiday breakfast and that was missing. Delightful staff. Well worth a visit.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
Brett H, General Manager at The Grosvenor Arms, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2014

Dear Bryan M,

Thank you so much for writing such a lovely review on The Grovenor Arms and our charming Dorset town.

I am delighted you feel our hotel and restaurant are stylish following our recent refurbishment and that you enjoyed the service from the staff. It also pleases us greatly that you enjoyed your dinner and breakfast the following morning.

Thank you again for your kind words and I hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed March 29, 2014

Just visited the gorsvenor for a friends birthday meal , very disappointed with the menu ,over priced and selection of meals available limited. Will not be going back again.One of our steaks was more fat than meat. They never had sea bream or chocolate moose as on the menu. Drinks was very expensive and we were charged for water.

Dear Colin I,

I am sorry you have had a negative experience at The Grosvenor Arms.

We make sure that our prices are very competitive in the area and hope our guests feel that they are getting good value, clearly however in this case it appears not. Our menu does offer a wide choice of dishes for our guests and our chef uses seasonal and locally sourced produce resulting in an ever changing menu.

We do offer our guests a selection of tap water, still mineral water or sparkling mineral water. If our guest chooses a mineral water we currently only charge £3 for a large bottle, there is no charge for a bottle of tap water.

Once again I am sorry you did not enjoy your experience at The Grosvenor Arms and I do hope you reconsider and visit our hotel some time in the future.

Reviewed March 26, 2014

We have eaten here twice whilst staying at a local, and excellent, B&B. On the first occasion, we dropped in at 7:00 p.m. on a Saturday night without a reservation when the place was heaving. Without making a fuss, the staff found a quiet corner for us, and we had very good pizzas with a glass of house wine, receiving attentive, swift, and friendly service.

A couple a days later, we again wanted a fairly light evening meal, so naturally went back - for another pizza, and a very good pasta dish respectively, followed by a chocolate dessert and a couple of local cheeses.

Clearly, we can't, on the basis of this limited experience, give an opinion on how well they serve a full dinner, but everything we had was very good of its kind. We particularly liked the decor and the general feel of the hotel, and our impression is that it's run in an efficient and professional way, and that the, fairly short, menu has been devised with care.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear willgrstevens,

I am thrilled you have enjoyed dining at The Grosvenor Arms and thank you for taking the time to share your comments. You are correct in stating that Saturday nights are very busy and usually advisable to book, I am glad we found a table for you.

Thank you again for complimenting our service and most of all our food and I sincerely hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed March 24, 2014

Dropped by for lunch. A lovely town with a period hotel. You can eat (at least we did that day) in a series of rather gloomy spaces within the hotel or in a bright glazed area looking onto a courtyard and that was very much the better option, we felt. The sitting areas are suitably olde-worlde and comfortable but the bar service was also rather ‘old-fashioned’ and needs shaking up. The food was very tasty and well-presented but a trifle on the expensive side but you may be paying for the old-fashioned ambience. Staff were efficient, well presented and courteous. Nearly there - if a few things are attended to this place could be very good indeed – Americans would lap it up.

Dear OLDGIT71,

Thank you for your feedback. I am delighted you enjoyed the food and the service from our waiters. I am also pleased that you enjoyed sitting in our bright and airy solar that looks out onto our courtyard and fountain.

I am sorry that you did not like the other areas of our hotel as we have just completed an extensive refurbishment. We have tried to make all our public areas comfortable and welcoming for everyone so I hope we will have the pleasure of seeing you at The Grosvenor Arms again.

Reviewed March 17, 2014

Having stayed at The Grosvenor this weekend, I'm still trying to work out what exactly it's trying to be. The closest I can get is that it is a 'restaurant' with rooms. The room we had was lovely, the staff we met upon arrival were also lovely, but they haven't quite got it right and there's a few glaringly obvious mistakes, which are a real shame.

Here are the pros from our trip:
• Beautifully renovated hotel. I’m taking some ideas from the interiors home with me to implement in our flat
• Very friendly staff and, on the most part, helpful
• Food was delicious
• Room was lovely and very clean
• Comfortable bed

And the cons:
• The downstairs loos were disgusting on the three occasions I visited. I was surprised to see that somewhere with such a ‘boutique hotel’ vibe has cheap nasty paper towels for drying hands rather than proper hand towels. Could do with having someone to regularly check the loos for cleanliness
• Staff all very young and inexperienced – no knowledge of wine or drinks when we asked for guidance, gave my boyfriend beef carpaccio and claimed it was pork at dinner. No one seemed over the age of 17 and no sign of a senior member of staff/general manager
• Unable to have lunch when we arrived at 2.10pm as told kitchen stops serving at 2.30pm – despite info book in room claiming there’s an all day menu
• This is going to make me sound like a real snob – but the bar area on the Saturday evening after we finished our meal was bursting at the rafters with a loud and crude crowd– akin to a strip in Malaga or Magaluf. I wonder if there’s an army/RAF base nearby? Nowhere to sit down to have a quite post-meal drink in the lovely bar and couldn’t even access the bar to order. We felt like we’d been transported to a Wetherspoons and were confined to our bedroom far earlier than we would have liked
• Bedroom was boiling hot and due to noisy clientele we were awake from the noise by having window open, or the heat from having window shut...
• Breakfast was, in no uncertain terms, an absolute shambles. Sat at our table for 30 mins before even being offered a menu or coffee/tea. There were approx 4 tables – so not even busy – but everyone around us was complaining about something. Poor waiter began every sentence with ‘sorry’ although goodness knows why they were so stressed when it wasn’t even busy. I had to ask for a glass of water 3 times. ‘Full English’ was more like the weight watchers version...no beans, 3 x half button mushrooms and fried bread which was not even the size of a quarter of a piece of bread. The meal was ended by a man storming into the restaurant shouting at the staff that he had been waiting 50 minutes for a cup of tea. Not impressed and wish we’d gone elsewhere

All-in-all I thought this place seemed as though it was pretending to be something it’s not. It’s not a pub, it’s not a boutique hotel, but it’s more than a B&B. I’d go back to eat a meal, but not to stay.

Room Tip: We chose room 14 - Lovely but very, very hot.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Brett H, General Manager at The Grosvenor Arms, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2014

Dear Coolbeans1980,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review on tripadvisor. I am glad that liked the room, the food and the results of our recent refurbishment but I would like to apologise because you had some negative experiences while you were staying with us.

We have listened to your comments regarding the quality of our food and the standard of the waiter service and will use this information as we review our food options and waiter training. We want our guests to feel they have value for money when receiving a hearty breakfast.

I am sorry the bar was so rowdy on the night you stayed. Our restaurant and bar are very popular with our respectable local community but unfortunately on this night there were several rather loud groups in the bar at the same time. Our bar area is usually considered a comfortable "chilled out" space.

I would also like to apologise for you receiving the wrong information regarding lunch and food served all afternoon. I don't know why this was not offered to you at the time as our kitchen is open throughout the afternoon.

I hope the negatives you experienced did overshadow the positives because we would love to have the opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel in the future.

Brett Hardy

Also consider these accommodations in or near Shaftesbury
Best Western Shaftesbury The Royal Chase Hotel
#8 of 16 in Salisbury
Norfolk Royale Hotel
Norfolk Royale Hotel
#21 of 66 in Bournemouth

Been to The Grosvenor Arms? Share your experiences!