“nice place shame the food is cold”
Review of The Grosvenor Arms

The Grosvenor Arms
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Shaftesbury
Iwerne Minster, United Kingdom
“nice place shame the food is cold”
Reviewed March 16, 2014

I went with some friends for dinner the other night to the Grosvenor Arms in Shaftsbury after hearing how good it was after being taken over and refurbished.

We had booked a table the week before but when we got to the bar they couldn’t find the booking. That in itself happens and systems sometimes don’t work and I can survive. The staff looked through their computer and consulted over a period of time and eventually got back to us to say ti was fine we could have a table after all. The rather strange thing was there were four tables that I could see all night that weren’t ever taken that we could easily have had so why the whole drama about finding if we could have a table is a bit beyond me. I appreciate that maybe some of these tables never turned up but I’m not sure if four tables would fit that bill.

The menu sounded nice with a combination of quite sophisticated food along with pizza and salad. The one thing I would say about the selection would be there is an acute lack of vegetarian food or separate menu. I did say to the waiter that my wife was vegetarian and he did offer to get the chef to make something special for her. All of that is nice, but honestly being vegetarian is not that unusual and thinking of them before is a good start rather than we can make something up for you approach.

Everyone had a selection of both specials and off the menu and everyone had a good meal, apart from me.

I had the duck egg with celeriac and truffle oil for a starter. It sounded nice, came out looking good but was just luke warm which made it a bit unpleasant to eat, cold runny poached egg not the best thing to eat, warm runny poached egg, lovely.

I then had the rump steak with béarnaise. It came out perfectly cooked and nicely presented on a wooden chopping board with a small pot of sauce and chips on the side. All looking good but once again it was room temperature rather than actually being hot. The main issue was wooden boards don’t transfer any heat to what’s on top so it just adds a cooling effect to the food. The second was the steak was cut into three or four pieces, which looked nice, but once again basically let what heat there was in the medium rare steak out into the air leaving me with another room luke warm course.

I only ever write reviews here if I say the same thing to the people in the place where I have eaten which I did on this occasion as well. When I spoken to the staff, who were on the whole nice and pleasant, about the temperature of the food they just said ‘oh I’ll tell the chef’ the second time I said about the cold steak the waitress looked more annoyed than interested.

No matter how good a place is everywhere has bad nights when things don’t go right and that is fine and I’m more than happy to keep going to places even when I have a bad meal somewhere. However, what does need to happed is the even when things go wrong and customer says something to staff about it something needs to happen. I’m not talking about I wanted the courses deducted from the bill necessarily, although some acknowledgment of my complaint would have been nice. Maybe my complaint had been passed onto the head waiter but if I did he never came over to apologise, talk to me or anything which makes me think it’s probably more about the staff actually just not telling him what is going on combined with him not knowing either.

I realise this is quite a long review but this meal was £50 a head for not actually having three courses each so it’s not cheap and for that amount of money I seriously expect better.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Allan101
Brett H, Manager at The Grosvenor Arms, responded to this review, March 19, 2014
Dear Allan101,

Firstly I would like to apologise for you not enjoy your dinner in our restaurant last week, there is no excuse for serving lukewarm food and the chef has taken on board your feedback regarding the presentation of our steaks. I am glad however that your dinner guests enjoyed their meals.

You have quite rightly pointed out that if anything has gone wrong then the restaurant manager on duty should have addressed your comments at the time. At the very least he or she should have come to you to apologise and hopefully resolve any problems you have experienced.

Your review did mention that you liked our menu but you thought there was an acute lack of vegetarian options. We do currently have several vegetarian dishes on our menu but our chef will review what is on offer and see what improvements can be made. We try our best to make sure the menu appeals to all palates but as you mentioned in your review our chef is always happy to accommodate requests.

Thank you far taking the time to write the review and I sincerely hope that you will visit our restaurant again in the near future.

Kind regards
Brett Hardy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Blandford Forum, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 14, 2014

I was here for a day as The Artist for tHe Day for the Snowdrop Festival. I wasn't really a guest, but during the day I had refreshments from the bar. What a lovely place, the young man behind the bar knew I wasn't really a customer but treated me with politeness and care and brought my lovely hot coffees through to,the pop up shop where I was painting. The rooms are beautifully decorated , clean and comfortable, dogs are allowed in the bar! The ladies cloakroom clean as a whistle. I watched several very happy lunch guests arrive and leave and it seems everyone had a good time and enjoyed themselves. From what I experiences, saw and heard I would recommend this hotel and restaurant.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
San Francisco, California
Reviewed February 24, 2014

We stayed here on really short notice after staying nearby for a few days. My husband and I came by for dinner at the restaurant (wood oven pizza was amazing!!). After we finished dinner around 8pm we had a little look around and decided to treat ourselves for the evening. The hotel had one room available which they gave to is at a discounted rate with brekkie included.
The room was awesome, balcony, freestanding bath, super king size beds with really spacious rooms. Needless to say we had a brilliant sleepless night. The fire alarm did wake us up crudely at 6.30am but that didn't stop us enjoying our stay. Brekkie was huge, delicious and spoilt for choice.
Not only that but when I got home I realised that my baby brain had left a number of items of clothing in the wardrobe - they promptly returned them to me in the post the very next day free if charge! Fantastic!! We would definitely stay again if in the area.

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank Hayley R
London
Reviewed February 19, 2014

Booked 3 nights via Mr & Mrs Smith and wasn’t disappointed. The weather was wet as expected but that didn’t stop us having a great break. The room was spacious with a huge bed and a roll top bath in the corner. Not able to make use of the balcony overlooking the courtyard but it would be great in the summer. The staff were attentive and quickly sorted out a malfunctioning coffee machine. As well as the breakfasts we ate in on 2 evenings and were very happy with the quality and range of the dishes.

Room Tip: Room 9 (a Junior Suite) overlooking the courtyard
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Shaftesbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 13, 2014

The elegant, newly-refurbished Grosvenor Arms - perfectly positioned in the centre of a surprisingly peaceful town square - is a delightful place to meet friends, to eat, and to stay. The Restaurant is spacious, light, and original in its decor, the service is really excellent, and the food is beautiful. We met for a family Sunday lunch, and were served supreme roast beef, tender and *full of flavour*; we have never ever eaten better! The service was not too formal but really good, nothing too much trouble, but no 'fuss'. The manager was keeping his eyes on everything, so it ran smoothly and to perfection.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
England
Reviewed February 3, 2014

Enjoyed a short break at The Grosvenor Arms. We were upgraded to larger room, the first room we were offered was facing the High Street, the next room was facing into the pretty courtyard, large room with walk in shower. Really comfy bed, room clean and loved the drinks machine. Breakfasts were amazing and kept you going all day. We ate in the restaurant, lovely food and a nice atmosphere. Staff very friendly and attentive at all times. Shaftesbury is a lovely place and if you are looking for a relaxing weekend, this is a great destination and plenty of pretty places nearby to visit, should you wish to explore further.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 2, 2014

This hotel is a good place for a quiet get away. The decoration throughout is near perfect. The rooms are clean with very comfortable beds. There is a coffee machines in the room with a limited choice of pods that go into the machine. There was no kettle. although there was hot available from reception. The menu had a limited choice however the food was so good and imaginative with sea robin as a starter for example.The staff were friendly and ready to help. The bar and restaurant was very busy in the evenings with locals. During the week the bar area again was busy with meetings, sometimes its was difficult to find somewhere to sit.
This hotel is a good place to stay if you would like to chill out, read, go for a walk, enjoy good food as Shaftesbury's has very little to offer

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shaftesbury
Best Western Shaftesbury The Royal Chase Hotel
The Crown Hotel
The Crown Hotel
#1 of 2 in Blandford Forum
Best Western Dorset Oborne the Grange Hotel

Been to The Grosvenor Arms? Share your experiences!