“Great location”
Review of The Grosvenor Arms

The Grosvenor Arms
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Shaftesbury
Reviewed February 13, 2013

We arrived on the last day before the Hotel was taken over by new Management and subject to major refurbishment. We were impressed by the entrance but dismayed by the Reception where we stood, looked upon by a staff member propped against the window and the Manager working at a desk made of a door resting on trestles.No seat or invitation to be seated for the customer! We were ready to leave when we were told the room rate which was very reasonable (may have increased?). We had difficulty negotiating flights of stairs, a passageways interrupted by barely distinguishable steps, over which I nearly tripped, to a floor not served by an elevator. The room on first impression was delightfully furnished but cramped for space. We had to ask for an additional chair which was lacking that did not help the space. The plug for my electric razor, when I found it, was under the washbasin. To get into the bath for a shower was to risk life and limb as it was more that a short step up and what seemed an even longer step down. The Manager assured us that all these matters were in hand.
The public areas were well detailed in a modern fashion but lacked ambiance and warmth. The Dining room had a very good menu and wine list. However, half way through the meal I left my wife and had to dash to the bathroom. My wife came up to the bedroom after she finished her main course (she did not suffer any GI problems) and reported my condition to the Receptionist. I suffered from stomach pains and G.I. all night.What I had of the meal was well presented and tasted freshly prepared and authentic to the Menu description. Next morning I went to the local pharmacy and took medication that cleared my problem during the day. I mentioned this to the Manager who made no attempt to recompense for the incomplete meal. Complimentary Parking is in Public Car park which negotiating a busy blind corner with luggage.

Room Tip: Avoid the front room looking on to the street. Try to get a room served by the elevator.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
David_Knight_GM, General Manager at The Grosvenor Arms, responded to this reviewResponded February 16, 2013

Dear fentumew

Thank you for taking the time to review The Grosvenor Hotel, Shaftesbury following your stay in October.
We genuinely appreciate all feedback and we are pleased that the you made both positive and constructive comments from which we can all learn.
Having said that I would be delighted to discuss some of these points as they appear to be inconsistent with our records, so an opportunity to clarify these together would seem appropriate.
My email address is gm@hotelgrosvenor.com and I look forward to hearing from you soon.
I sincerely hope that we get the opportunity to welcome you back the The Grosvenor Hotel, Shaftesbury in the near future.

There are newer reviews for The Grosvenor Arms

Reviewed February 3, 2013

We stayed here in October 2012 (sorry for the late review!). The hotel was lovely. Very welcoming staff. The room (Room 14) had plenty of space, very comfy bed, with a fantastic roll topped bath and excellent shower. We stayed at the front of the hotel and I'd noticed a few comments about the noise but we didn't experience any problems. The TV in the room is rather tiny but we didn't plan to spend our time in Shaftesbury watching TV so it wasn't a problem. The town itself is lovely. I recommend popping over to the tourist office and picking up a walking map to take in the sights. The food from the restaurant was amazing. All in all a really lovely stay. Thank you!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
David_Knight_GM, General Manager at The Grosvenor Arms, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2013

Dear Hen77,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review The Grosvenor Hotel, Shaftesbury on this site.
I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay in room 14 and managed to make the most of the facilities.
I have passed your comments regarding the food quality on to our team who are as happy as I am that you enjoyed it, be sure to come and check out the new restaurant and bar once complete!
Thank you once again and I look forward to welcoming you back to The Grosvenor Hotel, Shaftesbury very soon.
With kind regards
David

Reviewed January 28, 2013

The Grosvenor was very impressive from start to finish. Lovely Georgian building which has been decorated and furnished with a modern twist. We found the staff to be very friendly and welcoming. The car park was only 100 metres away and the hotel gave us a permit for the weekend. We booked room 9 (junior suite) and it was as quiet as we had hoped. The room was large with a lovely roll top bath in the alcove of the room and a very smart shower room (one slight niggle - lacking a shaver point). Bed was very large and comfy with featherdown duvet and pillows, although room could have done with another armchair. There was even a balcony with seating and a sun lounger - probably would be lovely in the summer months rather than in the snow in January! Good little Bosch Tassimo machine and chocolates were a nice touch on arrival in the room. Breakfast was excellent and the sofa area next to the dining area was v comfy to read the Sunday papers. Shame the restaurant was closed for refurbishment whilst we were there but we were prewarned about this before arrival. Overall the hotel was excellent.

Would recommend the Two Brewers and Chutneys for food. The Mitre was good for a drink and quite busy on a Friday night in January. Excellent cheese counter at Turnbulls.

Room Tip: Book room 9 as rooms facing into the courtyard are quiet
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
David_Knight_GM, General Manager at The Grosvenor Arms, responded to this reviewResponded February 1, 2013

Dear Anita,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel on this site.
The team and I are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay and your comments regarding the friendliness of the team have been passed on.
The weather was certainly interesting that weekend but Im sure you will agree it made for some breathtaking views from the top of Gold Hill.
Room 9 is a lovely Junior Suite and Im so pleased that you enjoyed it, you are correct, the balcony is fantastic in summer!
Just one small point for reference on your future visits, the shaver point is tucked away under the sink...but sometimes its nice not to shave at the weekends!
I do hope we get the chance to welcome you back to The Grosvenor Hotel, Shaftesbury in the near future and be sure to come and check out the newly refurbished restaurant once complete.
With kind regards

David Knight

Reviewed January 27, 2013

Despite the restaurant being closed, I was extremely impressed with my stay at the Grosvenor. The staff were incredibly professional and kind, the room was superb (with the exception of a few things that could be easily remedied) and Shaftsbury was a wonderful town to spend a weekend in. We stayed in the Cranborne Suite which was wonderful - enormous shower and bath, huge comfy bed, ipod dock to play music in and a fireplace. The only thing they could change is to put a loveseat or a couch of somekind rather than the recliner as the space seems a little empty at the moment. The shower had a tiny leak but otherwise I cannot fault it at all. WONDERFUL PLACE FOR A ROMANTIC WEEKEND!

Room Tip: If you can, definitely book the Cranborne Suite! It was a wonderful romantic setting for a weekend a...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear "noheelsnecessary"

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel on this site.
We are so pleased that you enjoyed your romantic weekend in The Cranbourne Suite, it is a lovely room.
Your comments regarding the team have been passed on and they are as pleased as I am that we managed to make a difference to your stay.

I hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back to The Grosvenor Hotel, Shaftesbury in the near future.
Kind regards
David

Reviewed January 6, 2013

So many smaller-town hotels leave something to be desired, but not the Grosvenor on our visit. We decided to have a Christmas meal and overnight stay with a group of friends and from the start the staff couldn't do enough to help (even welcoming us at the door of the hotel). The Georgian building which houses the hotel is beautiful and full of 18th Century elegance, sensitively updated with opulent furnishings. Room sizes were fantastic.

We booked the private dining room and were well catered for, the three courses being seamlessly served and freshly prepared. Of particular note, the mozzarella and parma ham salad (like it so often is) could have been bland, but was richly dressed and full of flavour.

Even when we drifted in dribs and drabs down to breakfast over a number of hours, there was never any hint of rushing us and we felt well looked after throughout. Good value too with a great breakfast.

Would recommend the Grosvenor for any occasion, especially with the good location near the main street and Gold Hill for those wishing to re-live the Hovis advert! And well done to the staff, you've pulled off what many hotels strive to do and that's make guests feel like you genuinely want their stay to be great.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
David_Knight_GM, General Manager at The Grosvenor Arms, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2013

Dear Examino,
Thank y ou so much for taking the time to review The Grosvenor Hotel, Shaftesbury on this site.
I am so pleased that you and your family enjoyed their Christmas meal and stay with us.
I have passed on your comments to the team here who are as pleased as I am that you enjoyed your time with us.
Thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Grosvenor Hotel, Shaftesbury in the near future.

Reviewed December 13, 2012

Me and my partner stayed at the Grosvenor hotel for one night . When we arrived we were welcomed by a smiling receptionist, who was helpful. We went to our room expecting the average but this was more, room 9, lovely large room very clean with balcony. Large bath room with shower and a bath within the bed room. (very pretty) The Hotel is small but gives it a homely feel. The restaurant was quiet and the waitress was helpful with the menu. The food is what you would expect in a village in the country, Rabbit, pheasant but also local. My partner had the steak and I had the Charcuterie to start. We relaxed later in the snug and both talked about how the hotel excelled our expectations

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dee L
David_Knight_GM, General Manager at The Grosvenor Arms, responded to this reviewResponded December 13, 2012

Dear hard2please70..
Thank you so much for your recent review of The Grosvenor Hotel, Shaftesbury.
The team and I are delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay with us.
I have passed on your kind comments regarding the receptionist who is pleased that she made a difference to your stay.
We are fortunate that we are located in the heart of Dorset and therefore have access to some of the highest quality local game in the country so it would be a travesty not to include it on our menus. We are of course very happy that you enjoyed it.
Thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Grosvenor shortly.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

Every year, the first weekend in December, my friend and I treat ourselves to a night or two night's in a boutique hotel. We check where to go based on TripAdvisor and Mr and Mrs Smith. My friend chose The Grosvenor. I will start with the postives first:
1. The staff were lovely. Helpful, friendly and every question answered quickly and with a smile
2. The beds are extremely comfortable and the pillows great.
3. Great porridge and fresh orange juice

But I'm afraid, the disappointments outweigh the postives. If it wasn't billed as a boutique, luxury hotel I wouldn't be so critical but for £145 a night I didn't expect the following:
1. A huge room with hardly any furniture in it which made it feel a bit like a glamorous youth hostel room. The flat sceen television was smaller than my PC at work and mounted in the middle of a huge bare wall. We had one tiny dressing table with no mirror (no mirrors in the entire room except for the bathroom) and chocolates that were left underneath a burning lamp so wouldn't risk eating them.
2. No hairdryer and when we called down for one, realised there was no mirror you could use while drying hair.
3. Bathroom floormat was covered in pubic hair from a previous guest
4. Food in the Greenhouse was bland and over-priced.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank Twiz72
David_Knight_GM, General Manager at The Grosvenor Arms, responded to this reviewResponded December 12, 2012

Dear Twiz72.
Thank you for your recent review of The Grosvenor Hotel, Shaftesbury.
I am so sorry that you did not enjoy your stay and would love the opportunity to talk this through with you in person.
Please could you email me your contact details together with the date and room in which you stayed and I would be delighted to contact you.
My email address is gm@hotelgrosvenor.com
Thank you.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Shaftesbury
Best Western Shaftesbury The Royal Chase Hotel
#8 of 16 in Salisbury
Summer Lodge
Summer Lodge
#1 of 2 in Evershot

Been to The Grosvenor Arms? Share your experiences!