“Comfortable”

Ranked #1 of 138 Restaurants in Dorchester
Cuisines: French
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: ...with a friendly atmosphere and wonderful views. Stay and relax in our lovely rooms, enjoy a superb freshly cooked breakfast and dine in our award winning restaurant. Small bespoke weddings and parties are a speciality and we offer a great alternative venue for private business meetings with easy and ample parking. Just two miles from Dorchester, Dorset, Yalbury Cottage is set in the hamlet of Lower Bockhampton - the heart of Thomas Hardy's Wessex - walking distance to his birthplace, across the road from his old school house and around the corner from Stinsford church where his heart is buried.
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I have been going to this restaurant for a few years now and have never been disappointed. Yalbury Cottage is an old thatched building a mile or two outside Dorchester. The interior is full of character with low beams to duck under, a log burning type stove and comfortable sofas to sit on while perusing the menu whilst having an aperitif, or an after dinner coffee and digestif.
The food is consistently good with the emphasis on fresh local produce. However, this principle, in my opinion, doesn't make for a good cheese board to match the quality of the rest of the food. Fortunately there is the option of having a Yalbury Rarebit instead! The wine selection is fantastic, and the service is professional and always comes with a smile.

1  Thank CPMS

Reviewed March 19, 2013

Highly recommend for a relaxing evening with very welcoming host and staff.Drinks and canapés in front of the fire and then a lovely four course meal, which included a cheese course correctly before the dessert. What more go you need.

The interior of the restaurant whilst clean and tidy, doesn't quiet fit with the rest of the experience. You feel like you are sat in someone summer lounge, and is just ever so slightly dated in some respects, but this does not detract form what you are there for.... THE FOOD!

Reviewed March 6, 2013

My girlfriend and I found Yalbury Cottage here on TripAdvisor and decided to give it a go. It absolutely lives up to everyone's reviews. What a gorgeous place! A gorgeous old cottage tucked away in a little quiet village - we drove past the car park entrance first time, thinking it was the driveway for a very exclusive house - stone gateposts, gravel drive and parking area in a lovely garden setting. I'm glad we dressed up a little - it's not 'posh', but very pretty.

We walked into reception, rang the phone for attention as instructed by the sign and were met by the hostess - Ariane I would think going by those more informed reviewers. She showed us into a beautiful, cosy little lounge, lit the gas on the wood burner, took our drinks order and left us quietly, only to return a little later with our drinks and hors d'ouevres. After maybe half an hour or so of being left to chat quietly and enjoy the atmosphere, the waitress took us through to the restaurant proper. They have an incredible wine list - I'm a complete wine philistine and wouldn't be able to choose a good one if you paid me, but the list was certainly comprehensive.

The food itself was wonderful. I had the lamb, my partner had the beef (we both had the scallops on black rice to start - equally fantastic). Everything was proudly advertised as being locally sourced, even down to the well-chosen local ales, was beautifully fresh and delicious. Lots of little extras - a cheese dish as complimentary follow-on to the main, coffees included also as part of the main and a wonderful cheesecake for dessert (my partner had the rice pudding - I tried a little of hers too, and they were both outstanding).

We weren't rushed at any time, the atmosphere was lovely and relaxed, the staff incredibly friendly and professional, the food fantastic, the drinks equally fantastic. In fact the only downside to the whole night was my failure to have brought any cash to leave a tip because if ever a meal deserved one, that did. For two three course meals and a drink each we paid around £85. Slightly more than you would expect to pay in many places, but I would happily have paid more. We will absolutely be going back - it's perfect. I can't recommend it highly enough.

1  Thank Matt_1505
Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

Had a superb sunday lunch at Yalbury Cottage today. Lovely cheese souffle for starter, yummy beef for main and the best cheesecake I've had for years for pudding. Very reasonable price for what you get. Consistently good throughout the courses, which is a rare thing, I find. We will be back! Thank you!

Reviewed March 3, 2013

This place is fantastic. Great formal dinning experience- Lovely cosy seating area for pre dinner drinks, amuse bouche, post dinner tea and coffee. Both the food and service here is superb, with locally sourced and seasonal produce. Have now been several times and definately will be back.