“Gorgeous evening meal” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Yalbury Cottage

Yalbury Cottage
Ranked #1 of 122 Restaurants in Dorchester
Cuisines: British, European
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Families with children, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Freetown, Sierra Leone
“Gorgeous evening meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2013

My girlfriend and I found Yalbury Cottage here on TripAdvisor and decided to give it a go. It absolutely lives up to everyone's reviews. What a gorgeous place! A gorgeous old cottage tucked away in a little quiet village - we drove past the car park entrance first time, thinking it was the driveway for a very exclusive house - stone gateposts, gravel drive and parking area in a lovely garden setting. I'm glad we dressed up a little - it's not 'posh', but very pretty.

We walked into reception, rang the phone for attention as instructed by the sign and were met by the hostess - Ariane I would think going by those more informed reviewers. She showed us into a beautiful, cosy little lounge, lit the gas on the wood burner, took our drinks order and left us quietly, only to return a little later with our drinks and hors d'ouevres. After maybe half an hour or so of being left to chat quietly and enjoy the atmosphere, the waitress took us through to the restaurant proper. They have an incredible wine list - I'm a complete wine philistine and wouldn't be able to choose a good one if you paid me, but the list was certainly comprehensive.

The food itself was wonderful. I had the lamb, my partner had the beef (we both had the scallops on black rice to start - equally fantastic). Everything was proudly advertised as being locally sourced, even down to the well-chosen local ales, was beautifully fresh and delicious. Lots of little extras - a cheese dish as complimentary follow-on to the main, coffees included also as part of the main and a wonderful cheesecake for dessert (my partner had the rice pudding - I tried a little of hers too, and they were both outstanding).

We weren't rushed at any time, the atmosphere was lovely and relaxed, the staff incredibly friendly and professional, the food fantastic, the drinks equally fantastic. In fact the only downside to the whole night was my failure to have brought any cash to leave a tip because if ever a meal deserved one, that did. For two three course meals and a drink each we paid around £85. Slightly more than you would expect to pay in many places, but I would happily have paid more. We will absolutely be going back - it's perfect. I can't recommend it highly enough.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank Matt_1505

Dorchester, United Kingdom
“Superb sunday lunch....”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

Had a superb sunday lunch at Yalbury Cottage today. Lovely cheese souffle for starter, yummy beef for main and the best cheesecake I've had for years for pudding. Very reasonable price for what you get. Consistently good throughout the courses, which is a rare thing, I find. We will be back! Thank you!

UK
“Fantastic- best in the area”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

This place is fantastic. Great formal dinning experience- Lovely cosy seating area for pre dinner drinks, amuse bouche, post dinner tea and coffee. Both the food and service here is superb, with locally sourced and seasonal produce. Have now been several times and definately will be back.

• Visited April 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Verwood, United Kingdom
“Wonderful stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2013

Stayed here on Tuesday and had dinner in the restaurant. We can honestly say this was the best meal we have hadsince moving to Dorset 2 years ago, and that is saying something as we have eaten at some great places. Jamie and Ariane are wonderful hosts, very pleasant and helpful. We will definitely be back again - thanks for a great evening.

• Visited February 2013
East Lulworth
“Best in Dorset”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

We celebrated my Mothers 90th Birthday and it was superb. Everything from food to service was outstanding and all Mothers guests even though they were not local will be coming back. Ariane was fantastic as usual and Jamie excelled himself with his mouthwatering lunch. Jim and Staff made us all welcome. Can't thank you enough. See you soon.

• Visited December 2012