“Excellent Stay”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dorchester
Aquila Heights Guest House
Ranked #3 of 45 Dorchester B&B and Inns
Orpington, United Kingdom
“Excellent Stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2013

This was my first time stay at Aquila Heights. The welcome from the proprietor was friendly, and first impressions were marvellous - the property is well appointed and clearly cared for. Guests are treated to a wide range of toiletries in their bedrooms (I have never had raspberry scented hair before!), and breakfast is excellent, with a generous range of options for cereals, cooked breakfast, fruits and a massive range of marmalades/jams etc. Most rooms are large.

As a package Aquila Heights sets the standard. Quite the best B&B I have stayed in for a long time.

The property is conveniently located for a large 24 hour Tesco, a lovely leisure centre, and a new restaurant development. Central Dorchester is a 15/20 minute walk.

Only one oddity. I was in a single room with private facilities, it turned out the private facilities were across the corridor. Other rooms were en suite. Not a problem as a dressing gown was provided.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Phil C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Bude, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2013

What a gorgeous, calm & genuinely friendly place! And far, far more lovely and much better value than other places that cost twice the price. I was (sadly) only staying the one night & had work to do during my stay, so I couldn't make full use of the facilities - such as the gardens, which were in bloom and obviously cared for well. Just another detail that contributed to a very happy stay here. My room was spotless, individual (i.e. someone had taken the time to consider how to create a welcoming, relaxing atmosphere...it definitely worked for me) and, despite being next to a busy road, managed to be quiet (hurray!). And fantastic views too!
I really appreciated the many little details - such as (in the shower room) having a selection of toiletries; clean, fluffy and BIG towels; & very clean surfaces (especially in the shower itself). My bedroom was neat - whilst not being too formal - the bedlinen & bathrobe felt new and were nicely scented, it had a great selection of hot drinks and biccies - and the TV worked! And I've not stayed anywhere that's provided a bedside alarm at all, let alone one that gently welcomes you to the new day! A good selection of info about the local area & its many attractions - it really seemed as if there was a deep sense of pride about the locality.
I was given a very friendly, genuine welcome & tour, and this helped me to settle in after a long, stressful day & journey. I've already recommended this gorgeous b&b highly to family & friends - and I'll most definitely be returning for a longer, more leisurely stay!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Hertford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2013

We have just come back from another stay at Aquila Heights. We stay there once or twice a year tto visit friends opposite who don't have any spare beds!
As with every visit, the quality of the welcome, the room, the breakfast, etc was superb. I reviewed it the first time we stayed here and gave it 5 stars and nothing has slipped during the intervening 4 years. There is still more choice of breakfast cereals and preserves than in your average Tesco's and the range of cooked breakfasts would put almost every 5* hotel in the country in the shade. The day after we left we stayed at another B&B near Exeter which was very nice and a similar price but was three leagues lower than Joan's place. You could stay at the newly completed and totally faceless Premier Inn in Dorchester but for the same money you be treated like a long lost friend and provided with all the comforts of home (or the home you wish you had!!).

Room Tip: If you want a double bed and a good view over Maiden Castle, ask for Room 3 (or 5 - not quite as goo...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Poole
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2013

Upon beginning a new job in Dorchester, I needed somewhere to lay my head for a few nights. I expected a room, and from experience, not even a comfy bed. What I got though was so much more.

On arrival, I was personally greeted, and given a tour. The room was immaculate, and a decent size for the money I paid. There was ample parking, and the most wonderful cooked breakfast that I've had in a long time.

Although I spent rather little time in the hotel, the experience was made so much better by the lovely lady who manages the guest house, Joan. She would take time out of her busy morning (whilst trying to cook breakfasts, check people in, etc) just to answer my questions on the local area. She went far far beyond what I'd expect, and was personal throughout, remembering all of the little things, like the fact that I don't like mushrooms on my breakfast! (anybody that does is weird).

The hotel is fairly small, I only counted a handful of rooms, and by the sounds of it, every room spends most of its nights full with cyclists, tourists, students and business types. It felt like home for the week, and not like I was sat in a boring hotel room watching Catchphrase and eating chocolate.

I don't plan on finding the need for a return stay, but should the day come I will search no further than vacancies at this lovely little guest house. Absolutely 5 star service around the board, and a pleasure to have made a new friend in the process. I will keep in touch with Joan, and recommend that anybody who stays here spends 5 minutes picking her brains about the area, as you'll learn a lot!

Room Tip: I stayed in Room 4, which doesn't have an en-suite but its own private bathroom down the hall. I...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Broughton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2013

This well-run B&B was recommended to us by another Dorchester B&B that was full, and I would have no hesitation recommending it to others.
It was easy to book on-line.
The double room where we stayed was small but airy, clean and comfortable. It had an in-room coffee/tea maker, with many extra tea flavours freely available. The shower room was well-stocked with various gels & shampoos.
The breakfast was excellent - a full English breakfast was cooked to order and there were plenty of cereals and jams. I had no need for lunch!
The B&B is within walking distance (15-20 mins) of Poundbury and Dorchester town centre.
Joan (the proprietor) was very welcoming and had an impressive attention to detail throughout the guest-house.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2013

I was given this guest house as a place to stay by tourist information when i was stranded by my husband being taken into hospital unexpectedly. I couldn't have asked for more from the landlady who was very kind and helpful.

• Stayed April 2013
Aquila_Heights, Owner at Aquila Heights Guest House, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us at Aquila Heights especially in such difficult and worrying circumstances. I hope your husband has now made a full recovery.
Kind regards
Joan
Bellingen
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2013

Joan was a wonderful host and took care of our every need! The rooms were very clean and comfortable although the room where my husband and I stayed was a little small with little space to move around. However, the room my elderly parents and my son occupied was spacious with a lounge area which was perfect. The breakfast was delicious with and the variety was unbelievable. we enjoyed our stay enormously and would recommend the guesthouse to anyone after a truly English experience. Thank you Joan!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family