“Great Italian food!!”

La Caverna
Ranked #9 of 123 Restaurants in Dorchester
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
“Great Italian food!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2013

My partner and I were staying overnight in Dorchester on route to a few nights break in Devon. We came across La Caverna whilst we were driving around to find a bed and breakfast. We hadn't booked and with it being a Friday evening they were full but they found us a table for half an hour later.

The food was excellent and the restaurant has a very rustic and authentic atmosphere. I woud definitely recommend it to anyone.

When we went to pay the owners were sitting having a drink and they invited us to have one with them. They were very welcoming and friendly.

Overall a very enjoyable evening :-)

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Andy K

Monmouth, United Kingdom
“One of the most memorable meals of my life”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2013

We went two consecutive nights of a two-night stay in Dorchester to La Caverna because we were so impressed after the first meal, and the second was even better. It really was one of those dining experiences that you look back on as among the best of your life so far.
As other reviews indicate, appearances here are deceptive because from street entrance level you have no idea what awaits. Suffice to say it`s a most unusual and inviting ambience downstairs.
Service is wonderful, food utterly delicious.
The Sea Bass I had on the second evening was cooked to perfection. I chose the second (of three) options for this dish - just with butter, garlic and lemon - because it`s a fish that I think is so lovely as not to need much besides itself. The plate of vegetables and the sauté potatoes went beautifully with it, as did the House White (a Trebiano, I think). The desserts are amazing, also. There was just a kind of elegant simplicity to the food I had, with flavours to die for.
Thank you to everyone at La Caverna for our two wonderful evenings with you. We really will remember them all our lives, and would recommend you to anyone and everyone.

• Visited September 2013
2 Thank Stephen N
Derby, United Kingdom
“Wonderful food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2013

We were recommended to this place by the owner of where we were staying and we wasn't disappointed. The food was excellent its cooked fresh and is very tasty. The restaurant is actually in the cellar and gets very busy so booking is advisable. We would were very impressed with the whole experience

Visited September 2013
1 Thank Karen L
somerset
“lovely meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013

Went here with friends. Nice atmosphere. Good food. Freshly prepared. Will definitely be visiting this restaurant again.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank SomersetHopeful
Reading
“Better than an Italian chain”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2013

Good service, food average - I enjoyed mine, my wife went for the lasagne, but was much sweeter than she liked.
I was offered an alternative to the house red by the glass, which was very nice. Asked if Prosecco served by glass, they said they did have some available in small bottles - this was ordered, but turned out to be Spumante - but still a nice drink - so not too disappointed.
The cave basement eating area was OK.
But as one of the other reviewers said, far better than one of the Italian chains.
But only just got the 4/5 (rather than 3) on the basis of would probably like to go again if looking for Italian food in Dorchester

• Visited July 2013