“Homes and workplaces in harmony”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Poundbury

Poundbury
Ranked #15 of 39 things to do in Dorchester
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Homes and workplaces in harmony”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012

Having read reviews of Poundbury by a range of contributors, the majority of whom do not live in Dorset let alone Dorchester, I feel a local's view is necessary. The older part of Dorchester had little space into which to expand and the land owned by the Duchy provided a real opportunity. The mixture of spacious luxury, environmentally advanced family homes and smaller first time buyer properties meets the needs of a range of people wanting/needing to live in west Dorset. There are numerous small and some medium sized businesses providing much needed employment on the doorstep. Yes, I accept some homes in Poundbury are close together and architectural styles vary, but with land values as they are, that is the sacrifice for quality homes. I work in the village and speak with residents and people who are employed there, on a daily basis. There is a growing community spirit here and no shortage of applicants for new and used homes as they appear for sale. Come and spend time here and you may be persuaded.

Visited November 2012
3 Thank Nigel G

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Expensive and not worth it”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2012

The Poet Laureate, New Poundbury, Dorchester. Been before but not for a while, shall NOT be going back. Food a decent selection, at a price. I opted for the Chicken and Steak Combo, chicken was cold and steak chewy, but the biggest shock was the price of the beer. There is draught Leffe, When I ordered a pint, I was asked if I was sure, I said yes but why ask, the reply was "its strong", as I was not driving it did not matter, so I had a pint. The next day I found the receipt in my pocket, I had been charged 2 x 1/2 Leffe at £2.65 each, making the pint £5.30, no wonder they were not busy. The only positive thing I can say is, the staff were pleasant.

3 Thank sammyb55
Birmingham, UK
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 91 helpful votes
“Much worse than expected”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2012

Having read a lot about this and being interested in both towns and architecture I was looking forward to seeing it.
It was much worse than I had hoped or expected. Clunky buildings made out of a mish-mass of materials with a seemingly random selection of classical motifs dumped on a hilly site by a roundabout.
To do this sort or thing well you need to be both knowledgeable and skillful, nether much in evidence here. The cherry on the cake is Prince Charles own fire station design, embarassingly prominent by the main road. Over sized, badly detailed and demonstrating a lack of knowledge of what he was trying to achieve. To coin a phrase 'a carbuncle'.

To balance things out in Dorchester proper the wonderful Eldridge Pope brewery is being pulled about and swamped by flimsy looking Stalinist blocks of flats................

5 Thank Tyke
77 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 53 helpful votes
“New part of Dorchester”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2012

New buildings in all sorts of architectural styles. We normally go there just to visit the garden centre and our dentist. Doesn't have anything historical to see.

Visited September 2012
NEW FOEST
43 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“I live near here”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2012

Prince Charles must be deluded, this mish mash of pompous architecture, surely designed like an Architect with one Red Bull too many inside him, perfect place though for the average wannabe Audi/BMW yuppies; From a distance it looks like Disneyland Paris, or is it a blot on the landscape, early phase of Poundbury was hopeful, and market looked promissing, strange bylaws where Disabled people cannot have ramps or handrails outside the front entry point; latter parts built by Cowboy Builders, (believe me I know this stuff) nothing to suggest a vision of an English Village, more suited to Milton Keynes new town, (will I go to the Tower of London for this review, oh dear)

6 Thank Linda P