My wife and I stayed at this hotel as it looked an old and interesting hotel; which it was, with the corridors being uneven which made for an interesting walk to your room.
On the plus side the room we were allocated was spacious and the king sized bed a treat to behold. The staff were really friendly and nothing was too much trouble.The food was of good quality with plenty of it and the prices reasonable. The lounge area was also furnished out well.
The minuses were not many. Car parking was a minor irritation as it was first come, first served, with not a lot of room to turn the car around to exit the car parking area.The shower was hit or miss with regard to hot water, it was either scalding or cold (although there was a notice on the bathroom wall to advise us that there was a problem beyond the hotel's control with regard to water pressure). The room we were allocated was at the rear of the hotel and could have benefited from some form of secondary glazing as there was some traffic noise for the light sleeper. As previously mentioned the food was of good quality but we found that at breakfast items were not replenished very quickly, f at all. We were at breakfast with a full hour to go to the end of breakfast we found that when we had finished the cooked breakfast there were no croissants left, if required, and that when we arrived at the dining room there were only one or two remaining which if we had taken prior to the cooked breakfast would have meant that some people who wanted a breakfast without anything being cooked would have had to wait for fresh to be cooked. Also the yoghurts were left to go down to a low level and also were not replaced.
But these little niggles apart an enjoyable stay.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Wessex Royale Hotel is a delightful Georgian era hotel located in the centre of Dorchester. With classically designed rooms and an excellent central location, The Wessex Royale is ideal for a relaxing break.The Hotel was built in 1756 and features all of the elegance and classic features you would expect from such a property, including fireplaces, panelling and a magnificent grand staircase.Bedrooms display a charming and traditional character with supremely comfortable furnishings to help you feel well rested.All rooms have modern en-suite bathrooms with a bath and power shower, premium digital channels and Wireless Internet connections to help you wind down with “home away from home” comforts and little touches that truly make you feel welcome. The á la carte restaurant is open each evening and offers a variety of traditional and exciting new dishes. The meals on offer are of a consistently excellent standard, making the restaurant popular with guests and locals alike. Fully refurbished with air conditioning, offering a wide range of traditional and new world wines to compliment your meal, you are assured a meal of the highest quality.The Wessex Royale Hotel is a family friendly option near the many activities and attractions in the area, including Maiden Castle, Roman Townhouse, Thomas Hardy’s cottage, the Tutankhamun Exhibition, and Dinosaur Museum.Food and wine aficionados will appreciate the in house restaurant, which offers specialty cuisine, homemade desserts, and an impressive wine list. There is also a locally popular bar and lounge, perfect for afternoon tea or a quick glass of beer. This hotel is a popular venue for weddings and other intimate occasions. Limited free parking is offered. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Priceline, Travelocity and Booking.com so you can book your BEST WESTERN Wessex Royale Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Minotel Wessex Royale Hotel Dorchester
- Minotel Hotel Wessex Royale
- Minotel Dorchester
- Dorchester Minotel
- BEST WESTERN Wessex Royale Hotel Dorchester, Dorset