“Ideal for wedding parties”

Best Western Wessex Royal Hotel
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Dorchester
Reviewed November 19, 2012

15 of us stayed here for my grandson's wedding.
Very warm welcome and excellent service throughout our
3 night stay. The courtyard room for my husband, 91,
was ideal as there were no stairs and equipped for more
disabled people and scooter accessible, with care.
Would certainly recommend and we hope to return for
another trip to Dorchester.

Room Tip: Rooms at the rear are quieter
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jean S

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Business in the area took us took historic Dorchester, and this characterful old hotel.Rooms were comfortable and well appointed, and the public areas have obviously been refurbished.....even if this has not been completely successful!. The Dining Room in particular is lacking in atmosphere.
That said, the food was very good. Steaks were generous, tasty and properly cooked. The chicken dish was pronounced very acceptable, and our vegetarian colleague was also pleased. The starter of Thai Fish Soup attracted substantial praise, as did the puddings.The wine list is adequate, and Maria and her colleagues worked hard to make us feel welcome. This hotel makes an effort, it is not 5 star but its staff are courteous and pleasant,and we would certainly use it again.

Room Tip: The superior rooms are undoubtedly superior!!. Request a room on the first floor as there is no lift...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Fionnuala22
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Having stayed here before it was an even better deal booking on the day through booking.com.
Had to travel to Dorset on the spur to visit parents after my mum had a fall and broke her arm.
Booked room 107 online two hours before we checked in and only paid £49 for a double room, The usual warm welcome and fast book in.spotless, warm comfortable room and excellent location for all the local amenities.
queit weekend so unlike our last visit we even managed to park on site, previously we had to use top of town car park 400 yards away.
lovely breakfast though maybe some background music would make you feel less conspicuous having conversation overheard.

Room Tip: Ask for a first floor room overlooking the car park, they seem to be the mosr recently refurbished...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank christopher g
Reviewed September 23, 2012

eight of my In-laws recently came to Dorchester from Cornwall for a 1 night stay, to attend my husbands retirement/birthday party, they were very impressed by the helpful .ness given to them and my Mother-in-law who has great difficulty getting around, she was immediatly offer a room in the coutyard which she was extremely pleased with and found it very comfortable. breakfast was aslo very good,all in all tey really enjoyed there week-end and a very pleasant hotel and staff, thank you Wessex Royale,

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank cleggt
Reviewed September 19, 2012

So my wife and I decided to book for a meal at the Minotel Wessex Royale, upon arrival we did notice the small car parking facilities but we found a space fairly quickly. We have eaten in many places majority being 4 to 5 star restaurants, noticing the Minotel in Dorchester was a 3 star I didn't really know what to expect not only from the food available but also the level of customer service. My wife and I were so very impressed! Every member of staff smiling and happy in their work... Something you don't get even in the highest top end establishments. Moving on to the food we were even more satisfied with our visit, dishes arrived promptly again with great service. Meals were priced well and drinks also didn't damage the wallet. Overall a wonderful time, we don't normally review places but credit where it's due. We will be making another visit very soon. Compliments to the Chef and the welcoming staff.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank Skibba321
Reviewed September 18, 2012

The location is wonderful for historic Dorchester but the setting and many of the guests date back to the sinking of the Titanic. Thank goodness they survived to return year on year. The public rooms certainly need a face lift and the dining area appears to have an entrance from the street. The kitchen offers traditional English cooking at an affordable price and acceptable and well priced beverages. Staff are attentive but the bedrooms are small and rather cramped although overall I'd say this is value for money for business. Not a place for honeymooners but after all mine was 32 years ago so who knows?

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 13, 2012

we only called in for a lunch time drink and a snack. ordered the starter goats cheese salad with beetroot and garlic.
We know this was only a starter so not a large portion but at £5.50 not cheap.
This small plate arrived, a couple of salad leaves hidden under a round of goats cheese with whole cloves of garlic (5) and the same of beetroot quarters placed around the cheese.
I have never in my life been served whole garlic cloves in such a meal....I asked if we could have some bread to go with the garlic. We waited and waited. In the end just ate this meagre meal with . As we were preparing to leave a plate of french bread arrived.
I said it was too late and that we were not happy. The reception was not prepared to discuss, saying she would talk with the chef. I asked for the manager. Said he was in a meeting - in end she said did I want him to contact him - so I gave my number, This was yesterday - has he phoned - no. very poor.
I did say that I lived in Dorchester, that my group often ate at Wessex and hoped this might have made them aware local people count for their business. obviously not.
I will not be visiting again but go to one of the many good eating houses for a little lunch. I would have thought these days with competition so great places such as this would welcome feedback and opportunity to discuss any issue.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dorchester
Premier Inn Dorchester
#5 of 6 in Dorchester
Riviera Hotel
Riviera Hotel
#20 of 22 in Weymouth

Been to Best Western Wessex Royal Hotel? Share your experiences!