We managed to find a car park quite some way from the guest house (at the top of the hill past the roundabout), costly parking unfortuantly. Hauling luggage to the guest house was a pain, we were glad it was in good weather, wouldn't want to have to do that in the rain/cold.
We arrived about 3pm, and were told we weren't expected as they hadn't been informed of any 'early' book-ins. We didn't realise check-in was 4pm+ - be warned!
Staying here will keep you fit, as we were only on the second floor but found four steep flights of stairs to climb to get to our room. Definitly not suitable for elderly or disabled customers, or those with young children really. I certainly wouldn't want to stay on the third floor!
We had a problem with 'no digital tv signal available' popping up quite a few times while we were watching the tv, especially annoying during a film; on the last day the internet access was not available too (although the kind owner did fix it after he'd finished serving breakfasts).
The bathroom windows were very dirty, and had cobwebs on them. There was also a problem keeping the windows open too, and we had to place a coaster under them to prop them up.
There's no extractor fan in the bathroom, which is surprising really. There's a definite need for a shelf (above the loo possibly) for keeping a washbag etc. on, and a hand towel rail/holder would be usefull. The loo seat was loose as well.
It would have been nice if the curtains in the bedroom had a pelmet on them, as the sunlight was very bright in the morning. The curtains themselves were lovely, and a high quality though.
The bed was very comfortable, and all rooms were tidy and decorated to a high standard.
There were good tea/coffee facilities, and a very handy mini-fridge next to a desk useful for placing a laptop etc. on as well. The great hospitality folder was useful, care taken to put menus in etc. from local places.
The bathroom shower was great, and the mirror was excellent (although a little high for me, I'm 5'3" tall and could just see from my eyes up in it).
The best part of our stay here was the breakfast. All freshly cooked from quality ingredients, and a large selection to choose from. A great way to start the day!
There's a nice pub a few doors down for relaxing/drinking. Also, several good restaurants within a minute's walk too - try the Thai Nakorn it's just fantastic! This guest house is well placed for walking around Dorchester.
Bearing in mind the lack of parking, little finishing touches that were needed really and late check-in time I think the £260 we paid for just 2 nights for a couple was rather expensive. It was only a guest house, not a 4* hotel, I'd really have expected free close parking and a heated indoor pool for that price.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Centrally located in the historic county town of Dorchester, Westwood House is an attractive Georgian property built in 1815 by Lord Ilchester we believe for his coachmen. Converted to a town house guest house and personally run by resident owners Tom & Demelza Stevens, the accommodation offers a comfortable, informal non-smoking environment for the business or leisure visitor during their stay in Dorchester. The guest accommodation comprises of seven en-suite bedrooms all are well equipped with modern facilities, including LCD television with over 30 channels, hairdryer, tea and coffee making facilities and complimentary Wi-Fi.A variety of restaurants, pubs and cafes are only a short stroll away from the house. Alternatively bring in a take-away and relax in your room. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets and Cancelon so you can book your Westwood House Guest House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Westwood Hotel Dorchester
- Westwood House Guest House Dorchester, Dorset