“Chilly and gloomy, but good food”
Review of The Fox Inn

The Fox Inn
Ranked #10 of 45 Dorchester B&B and Inns
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“Chilly and gloomy, but good food”
Reviewed February 26, 2013

I popped in for a quick lunch while in the area; didn't stay overnight, so can't comment on the accommodation.

First impression: gloomy. Only the bar seems to be open at lunchtime, and the gloominess is caused by dull lighting and a lot of dark oak panelling. Second impression: chilly; the central heating did not seem to be on (5 degrees outside, not much more inside!); so, not a place to take your coat off.

However, service was pleasant and efficient. From an extensive, well-priced menu, I chose sweet chilli pork with rice. Plenty of meat, and the sauce was well-flavoured. Beers are from the Hall & Woodhouse selection; my pint of Badger was excellent.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank saffronsBournemouth

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Corfe Castle, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 23, 2013

My partner and I have just come back from the Fox where we stayed one night and ate in the restaurant. We had a lovely stay.

When we arrived, admittedly it was cold but all we had to do was turn the radiator on in our room allowing us to regulate the heat to our liking, rather than put up with whatever temperature the hotel might have set which all too often can be too high and overbearing. We noticed a few comments about the heat or lack of in the guest book, and we were surprised that people are all too quick to complain rather than ask the staff to rectify the problem or to use their common sense to sort it out themselves.

The room was spacious and beautifully decorated, the bed very comfortable and the bath and shower provided plenty of hot water and very quickly too.

We had an amazing 3 course meal, which we did not need to wait long at all for which was hot and delicious.

The waiting staff were very helpful and friendly.

The pub is clearly a hit with the locals as it has a buzzing atmosphere.

Overall we would definitely return.

Well done The Fox!

Dorchester, Dorset
Reviewed February 22, 2013

The Fox Inn at Ansty has a reputation and boasts of being worth searching out. For the past several years a group I belong to has held a light-hearted quiz night there. Last year there was an unfortunate kichen mix-up. While everyone else was served their mid-quiz meal, I had to wait for the kichen to start mine from scratch. We did not expect lightning to strike twice.

It was therefore a surprise to arrive before 7pm and be informed that the booking had been confirmed only the previous day (two committee members confirmed they had spoken to the Inn months and weeks before) and that bar snacks were our group's menu despite the restaurant being open. I explained the events of the previous year to the manageress, that I had anicipated a good dinner by skipping lunch, and if could not order from the restaurant menu I would be *very disappointed*. With her agreeement, I ordered a restaurant main course and repeated my story to the barman, giving the kitchen over an hour to deliver this with the remainder of the group's meals.

The function room was as cold as the manageress - most of our party kept their coats on all night. The quiz reached its mid-point and, after a few minutes, baskets of chicken and chips etc were trotted out of the kitchen. When the flow seemed to stop, an organiser checked with the waitress and was told three more were on their way, one of which was mine. Imagine my surprise therefore when two more baskets arrived and then nothing.

I went to enquire. "Where's my meal, chef?" "It wasn't on my ticket, look!" "Why not?" "I don't know." We exchanged a few more words - no Gordon Ramsey language - and chef said he was now starting on my meal. The manageress had suggested on arrival that our party (of 27) should not order from the restaurant menu in case supplies for the restaurant ran out. I looked in and there were eight diners, leaving about three quarters of the tables empty.

My meal arrived, like last year's, as everyone else had finished eating. Lest you think I had ordered some condon bleu chef's creation, I can report that turkey and leek under puff pastry, chips and vegetables of the day was tasty and satisfying but hardly more than basic catering. Fortunately, natural suspicion had persuaded me not to pay in advance. Having been somewhat passified by food, I was prepared to negotiate an appropriate payment for the catering and service. Mine hostess had deducted my meal from the bill, but nothing more. I felt she could go further, but her counter offer was that she would call the police. Another story came out, that my meal was not on chef's ticket but was on the sous-chef's. Too many cooks? Rather than determine the response time of the local constabulary and inconvenience my companions, I paid and left the Fox Inn ... for the last time.

As for the bar snacks, they were factory scampi or chicken nuggets warmed up with chips. My companion suggested the oil was well used - not nice. What was served as tartare sauce was mayonaise with a little tartare mixed in.

Checking tripadviser revealed several recent reviews commenting on the literal and figurative coldness at the Fox, and the rather basic nature of the menu offerings. There’s a marked split of good and bad reviews over the past year. Perhaps this is one Fox that has grown lazy and no longer deserves to be hunted out?

Room Tip: Go in warm weather? And expect a very rural setting, in lovely countryside.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank RAR00
Beaminster, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 16, 2013

As a resident in the village of Corscombe it has been a long since since we have had a pub with a warm friendly welcome, great food and super service. But the Fox Inn is back to the future, back to the days when it was nationally recognised and the jewel in the crown of the village.

Yes the setting is idyllic, in the unspolit heart of our pretty village in West Dorset, but more importantly the food was exceptional and the service just right, not intrusive just relaxed and attentive. Additionally considering the quality of the food, value for money is the order of the day.

It's a great feeling to be proud of our pub again, see you there!

2 Thank Corscombe
Reviewed February 14, 2013

We went for dinner here after it was highly recommended by several people, unfortunately whilst the food was good, the ambience was disappointing. The dining room was dark and dated and the whole place was absolutely freezing! Additionally the taxi home was significantly more than anticipated due to the restaurant's isolated location, all in all, not the quality of evening I would expect for such money.

• Stayed February 2013
2 Thank Jowillow
Poole
Reviewed February 12, 2013

We stayed in the Fox Inn for one night. Unfortunately on arrival our room had all of the radiators turned off so was absolutely freezing! After turning them on and keeping our coats on for a few hours it became a nice temperature.The breakfast in the morning was lovely. Location is perfect for lots of countryside walks (although currently a bit muddy!).

Dorchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 8, 2013

Enjoyed an excellent meal with friends, the scallops wonderfully cooked to perfection. The whole atmosphere, the log fires and very friendly welcome making for a really relaxed and comfortable evening. Exactly how a village pub should feel, Marie & Shane and their team achieve this with such effortless ease which belies all the hard work it takes. So good to have a local to boast about again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank FreeSpirit077
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dorchester
Best Western Wessex Royal Hotel
#9 of 45 in Dorchester
Westwood House Guest House
Westwood House Guest House
#1 of 45 in Dorchester

Been to The Fox Inn? Share your experiences!