“Simple but reasonable”

The Horse with the Red Umbrella
Ranked #30 of 134 Restaurants in Dorchester
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: once a famous theatre we specialise in homecooked food with yummy homemade sponges to die for.We welcome all humans aswell as doggies.We are right in the heart of Dorchester opposite the County Museum.
Reviewed December 12, 2013

If you are looking for somewhere for a small bite to eat this café is very reasonable. It is nothing special but nevertheless clean and reasonable. I had breakfast there for a fair price and the service was good. If I were looking for breakfast in Dorchester again I would certainly go there.

1  Thank Frank D

Reviewed December 6, 2013

This is a friendly place with ebullient service, especially from the owner, but the food is not good, to the point where you wonder how safe it is. I had the 'special' quiche with salad. The tiny portion of quiche arrived suspiciously hot, but the pastry was rock hard and the filling microwaved away to a rubbery slab. The salad was sad fare - iceberg lettuce, old soggy tomatoes, vinegary beet root and coleslaw so tart I suspect it was off.
It's such a shame because the service is friendly and welcoming but the food is a real let down.

Reviewed October 21, 2013

I discovered this gem of a place a few weeks back and now go back whenever i'm in town, as an award winning chef myself over criticality is a known way of mine, BUT upon my first visit I ordered steak and kidney pudding with boiled potatoes and veg and from the first mouthful I was instantly transported back to my gran's dinner table the taste with as it should be and i even overheard the staff talking of who had grown the runner beans that adorned my plate.
I followed that with rhubarb crumble with custard and it to was perfect complimented by the charming and friendly service.
Upon returning to dorchester a week or so later i headed straight for the horse with the red umbrella and ordered the chorizo stew and was once again left with a contented smile and a full stomach.
I urge you all to go and enjoy and be charmed by the welcoming and tasty experience of this quaint cafe.

1  Thank bathsusan
Reviewed October 8, 2013

We popped into the cafe (our 3rd time this year), whilst on a day trip to Dorset yesterday, and it was quite a unique experience. My partner is very fussy about his coffee, but loves what they have on offer, even more so as they'll make it to order, just the way you ask. The homemade goodies were too tempting to resist as well.
But what set this visit apart, was the welcome given to a lovely elderly gentleman, wheelchair bound, who (in his former life), was an opera singer. The staff asked after their favourite "Mr P" and he gave them a quick rendition of I think it was Verdi. One of the waitresses apologised for the noise, and said it was not usually like that, (and added), it was usually a lot worse ! We thought it absolutely charming.

1  Thank Alison F
Reviewed September 24, 2013

My friend and I decided to have lunch here with her 16 month old daughter. We were shown to a table just inside the door so that the pushchair could be accommodated. Before we had the chance to sit down we were being asked what we wanted,we ordered a drink and asked for a little time to peruse the menu but as soon as our drinks were brought to the table we were asked if we had decided what we wanted yet. The waitress was very over the top and constantly rubbing the side of my friends little girls face, maybe we are just a bit over critical but it became quite cringeworthy! We only ate Ciabatta's but they were very good. The place is very small and customers were moved around a lot so that others could sit down. We decided to eat here as we had both walked past before but not been in, unfortunately I don't think we will return.