“Excellent B&B with great views and perfect hosts”

Higher Kingcombe Lodge
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dorchester
Higher Kingcombe Lodge
Ranked #25 of 45 Dorchester B&B and Inns
Worthing, United Kingdom
“Excellent B&B with great views and perfect hosts”
Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

We've stayed at the lodge a couple of times and cannot recommend it enough. Andrea and Paul are very accommodating and make you feel incredibly welcome. We stayed for a wedding in nearby Hooke Court and Andrea even offered to pick us up from the reception at midnight. Then she looked after our dog when we went to the sailing at the Olympics. She is amazing! And she cooks a lovely breakfast too. The rooms are light and spacious. We particularly like room 6 with the wet room. The views from the lodge are fantastic, it's in a great spot looking over rolling Dorset hills. This is truly a hidden gem.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Bracknell, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 9, 2012

We spent a weekend late in September with all rooms booked by friends and family of Bob for his 70th birthday. Splendid spacious rooms with pine furniture and wooden floors, wonderfully decorated and comfortable. Our hosts, Andrea & Paul, were very welcoming and helpful. Clearly aiming to please. nothing was too much trouble. Paul recommended a good drive along the coast. since we wanted to visit Portland Castle. I got up early and went to the dining room to read and have a cup of tea and found Andrea busy cooking breakfast for some of our party, while others of us chose to self cater. Such a super relaxing fun weekend. For a little extra Andrea is more than happy to cook an evening meal if pre arranged.
We would recommend KIngcombe Lodge to everyone.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Yvette W
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 2, 2012

We stayed for 3 nights in August and we were impressed with everything - the rooms were very well designed, private, clean and pleasant to stay in. The disabled-adapted room had been very thoughtfully designed and was easy for a wheelchair user to manage. The hosts, Andrea and Paul, were very warm and welcoming and helpful. Breakfasts were wonderful and we bought some of their Kingcombe Valley cider to take home. A really great experience!

Room Tip: They are all good!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Miranda R
Hampshire
Reviewed February 12, 2012

We hired out all the rooms of Higher Kingcombe Lodge for my 40th birthday party and chose to have the owner Andrea cook a three course meal for us in the evening. It was everything I had wanted and more for my party. Everyone commented how homely and relaxed the atmosphere and how amazing Andrea was. She provided the most sumptuous meal (after we had discussed my requirements weeks before) which was served by her engaging sister-in-law, Jess. We partied until the very small hours and again Andrea came to our rescue at 10:30 the next morning with a fabulous selection of fruit, cereals, full english, scrambled eggs and smoked salmon, tast etc. The rooms themselves are very light airy and spacious with huge en-suites, with the whole lodge looking over fields of sheep and lakes stocked with carp. It really was a truly idyllic landscape to wake up to. I would definately recommend Higher Kingcombe Lodge to everyone!!

Room Tip: Room 3 is really large with a great sized bathroom.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank gillybarwick
Worthing, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 5, 2011

We stayed at the lodge for four nights over bank holiday weekend whilst attending a wedding nearby. The lodge is a beautifully-refurbished barn, with many original features, and the views are stunning - the fishing lakes in the foreground with beautiful rolling hills all around. Andrea and Paul are the most hospitable hosts you could wish to meet, and Andrea's breakfasts are a great way to start the day! They went out of their way to make us feel welcome and enjoy our stays, even to the point of collecting us from the wedding party (after midnight!). Well beyond the call of duty! We couldn't recommend the Lodge enough and guarantee you will have a thoroughly comfortable and enjoyable stay here.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank PompeyRob
Mersea Island
Reviewed August 22, 2011

We had stayed here before but just for a weekend and had had a super time so this year we booked for a couple of days as part of our family summer holiday and it was as good, if not better than the last time. I am not a personal fan of B & B but the accomodation is housed in what was the cow sheds, so its white plaster and exposed beams with pine furniture. Huge bathrooms and brilliant power showers (we booked a separate room for my children this time so I did check out the facitiltes in both rooms). The owners Andrea and Paul are really lovely, genuine, nice people. nothing is too much trouble - including tractor rides for my children - but you did not hear that from me if health and Safety are reading. In terms of facilities Kingcombe Lodge has 5 small lakes or ponds, full of fish. I think they do match fishing there and I know they have carp because my husband is a keen carp fisherman so he packed his rods and did fish for a couple of hours each evening. Now its not Rainbow in France for those in the carp world but it is a pleasant end to an evening if you are into fish and my husband is. The landscape and views are breathtaking, the cowsheds look out to the opposite valley, full of green fields and everything you would want from the british countryside. The roads around the farm are really narrow single track, which can add to the charm of the place; as there is now tearing about in a hurry in case something is coming in the opposite direction.
Andrea's breakfasts are superb and again nothing is too much trouble. The only time my children are allowed coco-pops is when we are on holiday so Andrea went and bought some especially for them! There was another couple staying there at the time and we did get chatting; its that sort of place, you can be friendly and keep your distance as the same time. One evening we ate at the local pub, which was very nice but expensive and then I found out Andrea does offer an evening meal if you would like - si we did and it was excellent, it also meant we could have a glass of wine and not worry about driving. The other guests I noticed brought in a chinese takeway and as part of the complex there is a kitchen that guests are able to use, including a microwave for reheating food. even though we only stayed for 3 nights we felt rested and relaxed and felt like we had spent a week away. I would thoroughly recommend to anyone wanting to get away from it all. We will stay there again I am sure.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank HarveysMerseaIsland
london, england
Reviewed June 13, 2011

My husband and I stayed here for one night as we were attending a party nearby. The lodge was built on the site of an old cowshed - apparently - and the room and bathroom were both large. Bed was comfortable and the shower so powerful I was nearly washed away!!

There was a large choice for the excellent breakfast and the food was locally sourced.

There are fishing lakes right outside the front door - not my bag so I can't comment.

The landscaping etc was all still a bit new but would be more than happy to go back if I was ever in the area again. Main downside was the narrowness of the roads between high hedges. I was always worried I'd meet a tractor and have to reverse tho that didn't actually happen.

Andrea was really helpful and jolly.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends