“Lovely Unusual hotel”
Review of Beggar's Knap

Beggar's Knap
Ranked #22 of 45 Dorchester B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 2, 2012

The hotel is a few minutes walk from Dorchester South train station and about a minute walk from the main pedestrian shopping precinct so could not be more conenient. The owner Mark was very friendly and helpful and I was given keys to the front door as well as my bedroom so I could come and go as I pleased. My room had a four poster bed and was decorated in an old fasioned but cosy way with an old fashioned wardrobe, a sofa, two chairs and a small table. The bed was very comfortable and there was the sofa perfectly placed for watching telly (flatscreen). The bathroom was pretty with a long bath but only a hand held shower attachment. I was there for only one night so that was fine but for a longer stay I might have found that difficult. Other items included tea and coffee making facilities, hairdryer and free wifi. I was on my own and felt very relaxed and comfortable in the room. I had a room at the front of the building and my only complaint was that the pub/inn across the road had a Saturday night disco (or whatever they are called these days). To be fair the pub must have been well insulated because the music was not particularly loud but the thumping bass was hard to ignore. I put the telly on and waited until the music stopped at 1am. This should not be a problem on other days of the week though. For breakfast they put out instant coffee and tea bags and thermoses filled with hot water. Also cereal, fruit and yoghurt left out so you could help yourself. The owner offered to cook English breakfast but I opted for toast which was brought on a toast rack - haven't seen one of those since I was a child. He made a second peice of toast for me but didn't bring any more butter. Breakfast was very average but perfectly adequate. Cards are not accepted so I paid by cheque. Overall this is an unusual and nice place to stay. The owner really tried to do everything he could to help and was very warm and friendly but sometimes you had to search him out as there was no reception desk.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank amartist

Reviewed September 4, 2012

No one to greet us on arrival, key left under a flower pot, the stench of damp as you opened the front door overpowering. What could be a beautiful house needs a lot of money spending on it. At £100 pound a night it was not value for money. Attic room very tired with cupboards full of junk, not ensuite, scalding shower, no hair dryer no sitting room. I would never stay here again or recommend this to anyone.The property is up for sale and although Mark seemed a very nice person that is not enough. At normally £120 a night I think he should visit somewhere I stayed in Charnmouth at £130 a night which was absolutely amazing. Sorry Mark but do not understand the amazing reviews you have had.

Room Tip: If you are going don't have an attic room the pictures on the internet are not a good likeness t...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Julie08_12
Reviewed August 8, 2012

I needed a last minute bed for a one night stop over in Dorset. I was contacted by text regarding my check in and Mark the owner was very helpful. I was able to park on site and was given a top floor room that was very clean and comfortable with a shower room practically opposite.

Breakfast was well cooked and delicious. The house has am interesting history and the internal decor is impressive (and not what I expected).

I have played much more elsewhere for alot less than the Beggar's Knap offers. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed June 11, 2012

We were in Dorchester for just one night and chose the Beggar's Knap. The location is great...within walking distance to everything in Dorchester. The room was nicely decorated. It was clean and comfortable. Mark, the owner, was friendly and attentive. The breakfast was tasty as well.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 24, 2012

We recently stayed here for a Family wedding in Dorchester.
The location is excellent and there are many bars, restaurants and shops on your doorstep.
My wife and I had a superior room and it was very spacious and had great natural light with large windows.
My cousin and his wife had a smaller room and were not as happy as we were.
Mark was an excellent host and we would definitely reccomend the superior rooms.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Stebeb
Reviewed February 18, 2012

Lovely sized room with a very comfortable bed. Cozy Off street parking. Mark, the owner was very friendly, informative and available for any enquiry.

• Stayed: February 2012
Reviewed October 22, 2011

We chose to stay at The Beggars Knapp for it's convenient location en route to Weymouth for the ferry to jersey for a short break.

We were aware of other reviews who had commented on the fdifficulty in locating this property so I visited Google Earth to view the area beforehand which aided my plans for parking and access as I had a disabled passenger who would be joining me on the break.I put the full address in the satnav and had no problems locating this house. However, I do believe reviews from another site do not provide the full address - you could always telephone Mark and ask! It's not rocket science.

The public house across the road helped us locate the premises and the property does have a very large sign in the garden which is well lit on the front.

We were greeted by a young female and shown to the room which over-looked the public house and we had a good clear view of our vehicle which was parked within the gates of the premises of Beggar's Knap..

The room was large and airy and met all our needs for our visit.

Although the room over-looked the pub and the main road we heard no noise from either and my passenger is a light sleeper.

We met Mark who greeted us the following morning for breakfast and albeit, all visitors will dine together at the same table, at quiet periods it is easy to choose a time whereby you are dining alone if you prefer. We dined with 2 gentlemen who were working nearby who were from Wales and had a lovely chat and the choice for breakfast was vast and variable to meet your needs. Mark would be only too happy to accomodate any dietary needs as I had asked the question.

The house has been tastefully decorated and cared for but some may think it's tired in some area's. It is at the end of the day Mark's home and not just a business.

Thank you Mark for a delightful stay and if we're passing your way again, we'd be happy to join you again.

Room Tip: Telephone in advance and explain your requirements - if limited mobility, low floor maybe of help.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple