“Watch this space”

Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Outdoor Seating
Description: The old Ship Inn
Reviewed June 8, 2013

Description says "Dorchester's newest Diner....... It offers you a fantastic selection of burgers, hot dogs, ribs and plenty more". Well I went in here in with my son on a sunny Saturday lunchtime, it was very empty. The menu was very limited and the selection of burgers was chicken or chicken as they had no beef, thought about fish &chips but they had no fish, so my son had a chicken burger. Fancied a salad myself, chicken or chicken on the menu but they did say I could have tuna and lettuce if I wanted. Settled for chicken wings and side salad. Menu had no imagination at all, apparently they were "between menu's" and this was the winter one. We sat in the garden, table was dirty (they did clean it when asked) garden felt a bit like a carpark. The new owner (started yesterday), was really friendly, very apologetic and probably cannot be blamed for the pub's faults. He has a new menu starting soon, will be in control of stock (so no running out!) and he has plans for the garden which sound really good. There were flower pots and newly planted flowers and I do think this is a place to watch out for as the food was very very good, so was the service and the staff all friendly and welcoming. The inside of the pub was clean, as were the toilets and it was very good value. I will be be returning just to see what he achieves, I hope he manages to pull some customers from weatherspoons.

There are newer reviews for The Old Ship

Reviewed May 31, 2013

Feel that the place has lost out by attempting to go up market. Bit soulless now, at least during the day, cannot comment on evenings. Meal OK, but not outstanding. Service prompt and courteous.

Reviewed July 16, 2012

11 of us visited the Old Ship at the weekend. Service fantastic, food wonderful, would certainly return.

Reviewed April 5, 2012

Good boozer with well kept beer, good home cooked food.

Reviewed April 2, 2012

My wife and I called into 'The Old Ship' for the first time in many years mainly because my feet were sore and I didn't want to risk a Wetherspoons experience a few doors up. We were totally amazed at the transformation that had taken place behind it's familiar frontage. It had had a major re-fit, the staff and regular customers were very jovial and most important of all, the ale was crystal clear and tasted as the brewery intended. We will go back to this pub the next time we visit Dorchester with time on our hands