“Not bad but needs improvement avoid Room 325”

Bay Majestic Bournemouth Hotel
Ranked #37 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Reviewed August 4, 2013

I stayed at the Majestic last year and gave it a score of four. I have just returned from a Sherrings five day break and can only give a score of three this time. The food was excellent, the word mushy or prepared for old people is a joke, didn't have a bad evening meal or breakfast. But I must add I would have liked a jug of drinking water left on the table it would have been nice during the hot spell. Staff were very good. I stayed in a refurbished room last year which was very good. But this year I stayed in Room 325, which was very poor small very dusty and not refurbished. I asked for a bathroom with a bath I got one but it had a horrible 60s style rubber hose shower on the bath taps , very poor. There was stained lino on the floor and the whoever put the outside door handle on the door must have been drunk its at a crazy angle. Last year I saw that work was being done on the hotel rooms I saw none this time. So that is why I have downed my score to three. Avoid rooms 322 -325, this is the third review to criticize them for the same reasons !

Room Tip: Don't accept 322 to 325 they are very poor
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Des C
tracey_moores, General Manager at Bay Majestic Bournemouth Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2013

Hi Des C
Thanks for your comments as you know some of our rooms have baths and some showers we do try and allocate what people request we always ask people to give us a call if they need a shower or a bath or both and we can try to help. Our ongoing program of improvements still continues and bathrooms are high on our list now. We do however try and keep things to a minimum during the busy months of July and August this is probably why you didn’t see anything going on while you were here. We hope to see you again and if you have a room you have stayed in before and like give us a call and we will see what we can do for you.

Reviewed August 3, 2013

Booked this for a short stay with family. The only things that were complimentary were the evening entertainment which clearly our price paid for and a reasonably priced bar. The food was mushy (it was prepared for old people), the rooms were very small and unwelcoming, the lift was inadequate and unable to get a pushchair/wheelchair in comfortably if at all and the hotel does not comply with the DDA.

Bournemouth itself was great but the sea view was never going to happen given it was over a long way from the sea and behind a cliff - so much for the write up in the book which clearly stated a sea view.

Recommend this place if you are of the age where you stay in at night and twist the corners of the blanket on your lap.

Room Tip: Not really possible to get a good room at all from what I saw.
1  Thank CiderMonkey

Hi CiderMonkey
I am a bit surprised to read your review. As you can see from the other reviews we get some great comments about our food I am sorry if it didn’t meet your expectations we pride our selves in value for money and 1st class service. The lift is small as you can see from the photos one here but it works well and we don’t normally get any problems from it. (we do meet the required DDA Standards)
We are situated on the east cliff right on top less than 2 minuets walk from the sea so I am not sure where you were staying? We have no sea view as you say but then we don’t advertise one either.

Reviewed July 30, 2013

My mother and I stayed in room 205 on 20 July this year. The bathroom can only be described appalling with rust all around the bath. The water in the bath was dark brown and left a thick sludge residue after the water was let out.
On reporting this to the manager he was not at all helpful and said that there was nothing he could do and that it is an old hotel and the pipes are old. He seemed to think it was quite acceptable that we should have to bath in rusty water. It was only after I said that I would put pictures on the internet that he suddenley had a cancellation and offered us another room. The bathroom in room 205 is not fit to bath an animal. It may be an old Hotel with rusty old baths and pipes but we were paying 2013 prices and expected better standards.

Room Tip: Never Again.
1  Thank Dissapointed2013

Hi Dissapointed2013
As we said this is an old hotel and things happen. We are however very popular and full most of the time. We were lucky on the day you spoke to me and I was able to meet your requests. We do have an ongoing program of refurbishment here at the hotel and I am pleased to say 205 will be done later this year.

Reviewed July 25, 2013

My wife and I went to the Majestic with Shearings on an 8 day holiday in June/July this year. I rang the hotel before we departed for a low room and we got one. At first we were very pleased as it overlooked the swimming pool and had a pleasant aspect. At night however, a Saturday, our initial satisfaction with the room soon reverted to a great displeasure when we realised that the room,(no.104) was situated right above the ballroom, the stage in fact.The " Cabaret" went on till very late,well past midnight.It was very noisy to say the least and very little sleep was had by both of us until it had finished. Very fortunately for us, the next night was a Sunday and the show finished relatively earlier although there was still noise. OK, we were on holiday and shouldn't have gone to bed too early, but when you've had a busy day, and we had lots, people of our age require their sleep.
Enough of the moans, now for the good points; the hotel was very clean and tidy, the food was excellent with plenty of it. Our waitress,Zsofia was very polite, as well as being quick and efficient. Bianca the under manager(ess) was really great and couldn't do enough for us. She even helped me with my Spanish. In the bar the bitter lived up to its name so we drank lager. Service was good. The usual quiz, bingo and performer were to be enjoyed every night, and there was ample seating in the lounge.
The biggest downer for us was, the hotel being too far out of town. Although it was situated close to the main road and the bus stops, it was too far for us to walk. Buses however were very frequent.I would suggest that if you went with Shearings and you wanted to be in the town centre and close to the beach, use its sister hotel,The Majestic.

Room Tip: Unless you are an insomniac or completely deaf do not choose a room above the baooroom, ours was 104...
2  Thank Coventrykid14
tracey_moores, General Manager at Bay Majestic Bournemouth Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 27, 2013

Hi Coventrykid14
Thanks for your comments I am pleased to see you enjoyed your stay with us. The entertainment normally finishes between 11 & 11.30 so I am not sure what happened on your first night but I have spoken to the entertainers and reminded them to watch the time. I will pass on your lovely comments to Blanca and Zsofia. As you say the town is about 20 Minutes walk away But with a bus stop 2 minutes walk away and a buss running to the town every 5 minutes most people don’t have problems and most people prefer it as we are situated in a quiet leafy area of town and again only a 2 minute walk from the sea.

Reviewed July 24, 2013

First the good points. 99% of the staff are friendly and helpfull. The food is typical shearings, not great, but a good choice, no complaints. In fact some of the dishes were delicious. Bad points? none that would prevent me from using the hotel again. Parking, read about it on trip advisor, so decided to reserve a space at £5 per day. Phoned shearings to be told no reserved spaces available, but they gave me the hotel number so i could ask them. Hotel said they could not reserve spaces and told me to phone shearings! Gave up, but when we got to the hotel the first question asked was " are u parked on our car park?" Replied "yes"
"it's £5 a day, do you want to park there" so there we are, hotel can reserve a parking space, but only monday to friday, the weekend may be already booked. booked monday to friday. Come friday i ask any spaces available over the weekend? yes, but not in the bay i am using, Paid for fri, sat, sun, but it seems i can't keep the same space, no prob, i offer to move to the new space, only to be told thst will not be available till 10 am, and i have to vacate current space before then. Long story short, Manager intervened, changed my weekend spot to current, moved new arrivals to my "new" spot. Parking on the road is £3.50 per day, so cheaper, but the risk is no space available. Swimming pool, this is small, 1 metre deep, outside and unheated. Room, small, but comfortable. Bathroom has a shower, shower tray clean, but tiling needs re-grouting. Bathroom very tatty around the edges, needs attention from maintenance crew rather than cleaner. Bar. The bar is often unattended, even during evening entertainment, and needs a visit to reception to ask for service. No major complaints, but quite a few niggles. Despite this, we would stay there again.

Room Tip: The lift is tiny, so if climbing stairs is a problem, ask for roomon the first floor.
2  Thank MOZZ56

Hi MOZZ56
Thanks for your comments I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We have an ongoing program of improvements here at the hotel and are doing bathrooms as a part of that. As for car parking we do have spaces that are pre bookable but they can only be booked with Shearings , I think the confusion occurred where we have a few spaces in the coach park we can use at weekends if we only have 2 coaches parked. I will review how we do things here at the hotel to try and make things easier. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed July 4, 2013

We have also just returned from an 8 day holiday at this hotel with Shearings and thought the food and entertainment good. However don`t go by the pictures of the rooms shown on the home page.We were in room 323 whose bathroom was very poor. We had reqested a bath which we were given but to wash my hair was VERY difficult as the rubber hose attachment provided would not attach to the taps. The water just rran down the back of the bath and on to the floor. There was no plug anywhere for an electic shaver. The bathroom floor was badly stained.The bedroom itself needed a net curtain at the window as we could be seen from the properties opposite and the wardrobe had dirty lagged pipes running down the inside and a strange lino floor.It was nothing like the room I had seen in relation to this hotel.The lift was horrible !!Supposed to hold 3 but really only 2 with dirty carpeted walls and a large broken area at the bottom. We did enjoy oursleves on this trip but not the room and would reccommend avoiding it

Room Tip: See above comments.Also the room was at the side where the bin lorries came early in the morning and...
1  Thank michaelm187048
tracey_moores, General Manager at Bay Majestic Bournemouth Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2013

Hi michaelm 187048
Thanks for your comments I am glad to see you enjoyed your time with us. We do have an ongoing program of refurbishment here at the hotel and bathrooms are high on our priority list of things to do. As you said some rooms have just a bath some a walk in shower and some a shower over bath, I am glad to see we met your request for a bath maybe next time give us a call and ask for a shower over a bath as it sounds like this would have been more suitable for you.

Reviewed July 2, 2013

We just returned from an eight day holiday at the majestic, we could not have chosen a better hotel, nothinng was too much trouble for tracey moores and her team, The room was kept clean and tidy, there was a good choice of menu and amanda jane made sure we were well entertained at night. The service in all areas was first class, especially david our waiter who was very quick and efficent. On our experience i can highly recommend this hotel and will definitely be back.Thank you shearings for a great holiday.

4  Thank margaret b

Hi Margaret b
Fantastic I am pleased to see you enjoyed your stay with us. As always our aim is value for money with 1st class service I am glad to see we met your expectations and we look forward to seeing you again soon.