“nice hotel very accomadating”
Review of Tudor Grange

Tudor Grange
Ranked #41 of 131 Bournemouth B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 6, 2009

had a very pleasurable stay at the hotel. very close to the beach. staff couldnt do enough for me.. rooms are very clean and well presented..

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 6, 2009

We just returned from a great bankholiday weekend in Bournemouth at the Tudor Grange. On arrival the hotel looked beautiful with nice lawns and we felt really grand walking up the path. The hotel inside is just like a nice big gentlemans house. Checkin was fast and friendlly and we were showed to the room. We booked a deluxe room with a four poster bed and the room was lovely. The bathroom was a good size and was very clean. The hotel is well located and we didn't actually use the car all weekend. Bournemouth at night is very busy and lots of fancy dress and party goers but was all good natured. The hotel was just a short walk from the town but far enough away not to be desturbed by party goers. The breakfast was good and was obviously freshly cooked which was really nice. Overall the hotel was a very pleasent and relaxed base for seeing Bournemouth and we will definatley try to make it back in the summer for a weekend.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 22, 2009

We booked for Friday/Saturday night at the end of March 2009. We stayed the first night but then went home the following morning.

We arrived at 16:30 pm on the Friday and the first problem was that we couldn’t get in, the door was locked. We had to wait 5 minutes for someone to appear. The reception we received was lazy, cold, and disinterested. There was no welcome, and no briefing on hotel facilities. It was just ‘There’s the key, it’s up the stairs on the left somewhere’.
The room was clean and generally ok, apart from the leaking hot tap in the sink.

When we went to the car to unload, it was obvious there was a function in the evening with a live band. It was also evident (from the decorations) that it was an 18th Birthday party. I was surprised that we weren’t notified of this (out of courtesy) when we checked in.
When we returned from our meal in the town at about 21:30 pm, we approached the Tudor Grange and saw the function in full swing. The gardens were full of groups of drinking kids. We had to push our way through a group of about 20 who were smoking and drinking in the main doorway. I had to remind myself that we were paying guests.

We went to our room and the live band was very loud, even though our room was not directly over the function room. To be fair, the band only played until about 23:30 pm. However, that was the start of the problem. For the next two hours we were treated to alcohol fuelled kids running up and down the hotel, shouting and banging doors. We would have driven home then if we hadn’t had a drink with our meal.
When the noise stopped, we were kept awake for over an hour by a pump of some kind which could be clearly heard in the rooms. We decided to check out first thing in the morning and go home.

We tried to check out at 07:30 am but no-one was around even though I rang the bell a number of times. At 07:45 a waitress arrived and explained that the owners were not around as they didn’t sleep there. I would have to wait another 10 minutes for someone to arrive.
When the owner turned up I pointed out that we hadn’t slept much, our ‘quiet’ weekend had been ruined and we were going home. It was quite clear he simply didn’t care, although he cared sufficiently to request full payment for both nights. We were offered no apology for the worst service and attitude I have ever encountered. He simply quoted ‘The Terms and Conditions state that we have functions’.

He denied all knowledge of the ‘pump’ noise, even though I’ve read about this in other reviews. He also told me that none of the people staying in the hotel were connected to the function. I know this was untrue as I spoke to some of them when we arrived, and saw them entering the room next to us.

I explained that if an 18th Birthday Party was being held there, they shouldn’t let out other rooms to paying guests. He simply didn’t care. We paid for the night we stayed but not for the second night. We found out later (through a review) that there was a wedding function on the second night. They had obviously concealed the function plans on check in as we might not have stayed.

So, if you think you’re being sold a quiet tranquil weekend in Tudor manor house, think again. These people will openly deceive you, ruin your stay without the slightest hint of apology, and then demand you pay the bill. Truly shocking people.

4  Thank KerryBhoy1967
borisperis, Owner at Tudor Grange, responded to this reviewResponded June 8, 2009

This event was deeply regretable and the only 18th we have ever held. We must assure future guests that we will not be having any 18th, 21st or 25th Birthdays or any unsuitable events in the future.
The Tudor Grange however is a popular weekend Wedding and function venue, which is made clear on our website. Whilst every effort is made to notify guests of functions we do recommend that guests enquire about any possible functions at the time of booking.

Reviewed April 14, 2009

If you are looking for a guaranteed relaxing weekend where your enjoyment is a priority of the owners then the Tudor Grange is NOT for you. Our weekend away got off to a bad start with a frosty welcome from the owner, where it was even too much bother to show us to our room. On our first evening there was an 18th birthday taking place, which wouldn't have been a problem as we knew the hotel held functions. But it would have been basic good manners of the owner to mention this when we booked in and maybe let us know what time the music would finish and maybe even say that they hoped we wouldn't be disturbed too much. No such courtesy. The evening was noisy and we were kept awake by people running around outside our room, slamming doors and generally being inconsiderate to other guests. Even when the party was over we couldn't sleep as we then had to put up with the noise from a machine which was switched on somewhere in the building. If we hadn't had a drink with our evening meal we would have left the hotel that night. There was no way we would have considered spending a second night at the Tudor Grange and when we told the owner the next morning that we were checking out early there was total disinterest in the fact that our weekend had been spoilt and were just told that 'Terms and Conditions state that functions are held at the hotel'. The owners are very naive and have a lot to learn about customer service. We will definitely not be returning.

3  Thank GKMK

The Tudor Grange is a lovely picturesque hotel and therefore a popular weekend Wedding and function venue, which is made clear on our website. Whilst every effort is made to notify guests of functions we do recommend that guests enquire about any possible functions at the time of booking.

Reviewed March 31, 2009

The room was lovely, really spacious - beautifully decorated and a joy to stay in. I come to Bournemouth on business trips from time to time and this was the nicestt and most friendly hotel i've stayed in yet... I will defiantely re-book for the Tudor Grange Hotel next time.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed March 29, 2009

Stayed for 2 nights with girlfriend with hope of a quiet getaway - it didn't quite work out that way

First the good things - creasonably lean rooms, set in quiet street with nice gardens, good breakfast it a bit limited on choice, friendly waitress for breakfast, good access to the East Cliffe side of Bouremouth, free parking. First night - quiet and a good nights sleep was had.

Bad things - complete indifference by owners when checking in/out - barely cordial but not interested in eliciting and information on your stay and unable to produce a proper blll on check out (I had to check with the credit card company to confirm what had already been paid as deposit). The hope of quiet getaway was blown by the hotel hosting an 18th birthday on the Friday night - basically the hotel is not big enough for such so it's bar / reception / outside area overrun by excitable 18 years olds. Our bedroom was above the function room hosting an Oasis tribute band so very noisy / vibrating. In fairness they kept to the law and it all finished up by 12:30am but basically priority seemed to be to the function rather than staying guests - should a hotel dictate what time you go to bed or when you should return to the hotel? Checked out on the Saturday bleary-eyed and they were setting up for a wedding so I'd imagine more of the same followed that evening. Also if you don't like dogs they have a huge one but it seems quite soft/docile. The Tudor decor thing is a bit kitsch but I should have known by the name when I booked!

1  Thank AndrewOfSaunderton

Reviewed March 29, 2009

This is the scenario:

Saturday 28th March 2009 - My other half and I woke up to glorius sunshine in Birmingham - decided spontaneously to go to Bournemouth for the night and check into a hotel. I google Hotels in Bournemouth and the first one I find is the Tudor Grange Hotel - check room availability. Double Room, one night, £60, good value, booked, we pack a bag each and drive down.

We get there at 14:05 (check in time from 2pm) and we notice that there is another young couple waiting to check in too who are looking puzzled and waiting outside, My partner and I walk up to the front door and are coldly met by the hotel owner who promptly "shushes" us both! "erm excuse me?" we say. "No you cannot go in there!......there is a wedding on and they are just about to exchange their wedding vows!",

"Are you booked in?" she snapped.

"Yes" we reply
"Very well.....well go and wait over there!!!!" she then pointed us to the other side of the garden. My partner, me and the other young couple begrudgingly walked over to the garden and waited for her to check us in.

When she came back she handed us the keys and said Room 6 and "PLEAAASE be quiet when you are making your way upstairs!". Well welcome to Bournemouth. We felt like naughty schoolchildren and the service was not dissimilar to that immortialised by Basil Fawlty, although this was far from comedy.

As mentioned there was a wedding on that day and despite us being paying customers too they were clearly focusing on that and ignoring us. The only "check in policy" was the lady concerned passing us the keys in the garden . If they do not want guests who are unconnected to the wedding party then simply do not advertise their rooms - their website said "available rooms"...and I am not an expert in these matters and correct me if I am wrong but I presume that means room availability ? We were placed in Room 6 (right at the top of the stairs) - a lovely clean room, ample for our needs and overlooking the beautiful lawn, but it was situated directly above the dining room (or it sounded like it did) which resulted from when we got there constant noise.

After walking round Bournemouth on return to our room early evening a DJ was setting up. We put the TV on in the room but cannot hear it because of the loud noise (even though the music has'nt started), There are kids running up and downstairs past our door banging on it - whilst the hotel cannot be responsible for the behaviour of children of course it was still annoying.

About 9pm I leave my partner crying in the room because of the muffled sound of wedding music on the loud speakers, revellers shouting outside and people trudging past our door, I go and check into a hotel over the road where although the room wasn't has nice - it was quiet and the receptionist was very friendly and did'nt 'shush' me once.

I then return to the hotel pack all our things in the car I then go looking for the Shush Lady who was not available so I speak to her daughter and I complain for the following reason:

"We arrived, there has been nothing but noise, we are situated right above the function room, there are people shouting and screaming, we cannot relax, my girlfriend is upset"

"Yes I am sorry about the noise but we are a wedding venue"

"We should have been notified that there is a wedding on, we can then make our own choice...failing that you should not sell your remaining rooms when there is a wedding on"

"You booked your room at ten and arrived at one (we didnt it was after two) we were busy sorting the wedding out and didnt pick up your booking until later....."

"that does not concern me - I am not sure how your booking system works...I am unhappy and am checking out...here is the key"

"you will get charged single occupancy of....I think £45...but you have already paid £40 on your card...."

"I want your word that I am not getitng charged - the reason being we are unhappy and you have failed to provide a service".

She then looks round at the other guests (bearing in mind none are in earshot as I am talking quietly) "I am not getting into an altercation on this......"

Then a guy comes over, I presume he is something to do with the hotel and says "whats the problem ?"

I dont know why she needed backup (she was the 'manager' after all) but I briefly explained to him and he replied...."Right just leave then". I then looked at the manager again and clarified "I am checking out now I dont want to be charged". To which she repeated "i am not getting into an altercation on this". Then the unofficial; hotel security/ troubleshooter said "You wont be charged mate, you got what you wanted, now just leave!". To which he escorts me off the premises!!

Actions for the Hotel:

1) Please make it clear to all future customers that there is a wedding on and their will be noise. (the manager quoted the terms and conditions to me - I clicked the link on their website but nothing actually happened!)

2) Take complaints seriously - even though a couple on a one night stay are smallfry compared to a wedding party - they are still paying customers.

3) The lady concerned who dealt with complaint - perhaps phoning Bournemouth College and see if they do a Complaint Handling Course ?- if someone is being specific and detailed in their complaint simply take it on board and act on it - rather than saying twice "I am not getting into an altercation on this".....and then sending for your boyfriend/brother/someone you know to eject us from the premises.

Would I stay here again ? Yes definitely - but only if it was under new management as the building is lovely in a great location, but as the title header says....it was the poorest service I have ever experienced. That is no exaggeration at all and would ask you to avoid.

They are welcome to reply with the "hundreds of satisfied customers", "late bookings" and other standard "blah-di-blah-di-blah" defence statements - but the end result is they didnt seem bothered when we complained and spoilt our weekend. Thanks Tudor Grange.

4  Thank ryanfrombrum
borisperis, owner at Tudor Grange, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2009

I am actually shocked by this review. We always try to meet the needs of both our hotel guests and wedding parties. I saw these guests arrive as the bride was walking from her bridal car to the hotel and so they knew a wedding was taking place. By the time they had walked (noisily) up the path, the wedding ceremony had begun.

Another couple had also arrived to check-in, They realised that a wedding was taking place and immediately offered to wait by the pond until after the ceremony. I thanked them but told them it would not be necessary to wait, and I would fetch their keys and check them in. When the reviewers (noisily) arrived, I asked them if they would also like to wait by the pond. I cannot believe that people would have no qualms about spoiling a couple's wedding that had been planned for a year and a half, especially as their own trip had only been planned that morning, and would complain that their check-in had to be conducted quietly although, of course, politely.

There was an evening disco, but as the reviewer admits, he could only hear muffled sounds in his room. The disco was not loud and it finished at 11.30. The person the reviewer complained to in the bar was the wedding coordinator who was not in a position to discuss accommodation issues; the "other person" she fetched was the hotel manager!

As previously stated, we do consider the needs of all our guests and can only hope that they will be equally reasonable.