“Disgusting hotel do not stay here. BETTER OFF GETTING A TENT AND SLEEPING BAG AND STAY ON THE BEACH !!!!1” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Croham Hotel

The Croham Hotel
Ranked #64 of 68 Hotels in Bournemouth
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2013

This hotel is a disgrace to the industry and should not be listed on sites such as booking.com of whom I booked from.

Went to this hotel with my family and was given a room which you entered from outside of the hotel. On entering the room all you could smell is the damp, looking around the walls had damp and also the plaster was crumbling, the duty manager said this was due to repainting, I think not. The bed lining was stained and dirty, the toilet was so small only suitable if you were 2ft tall. The toliet door was hanging off. I complained and was shown another room that was equally filthy, again dirty bed linen, chewing gum stains on the floor, dirt everywhere on switches doors a complete health hazard. I will add pictures so that you can see just like a previous customer has done.

I told the duty manager I was leaving but he still charged me and to add insult found that they also charged me for parking even though I did not stay there. I have since been offered my parking fee back and 40 per cent of my bill which still has not happened, I will not rest until I receive a complete refund and intend reporting them to trading standards and environmental health. I made the mistake of reading the comments on booking .com that give a false impression of this hotel which is only after your money and not interested in the quality of your stay.

Be wise stay away from this disgusting hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank david g

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013

We stayed at The Croham for a few days in the middle of August. I must be honest and say that I was sceptical at the time of booking due to all the negative things voiced about the hotel. I booked 2 rooms..1 for my 80 year old mother and a family room for me, my wife and 2 young boys. We arrived and parked directly outside. The gentleman checked us in and I took my mum up to her room. It was on the third floor. I asked the manager if he could find us a room for my mother on the ground floor. Although the hotel was full, he came back to us in 10 minutes and arrranged a room for her on the ground floor. She was delighted. we were also given a room at the front of the building on the ground floor. The room was absolutely fine for us. A TV with many many channels and tea/coffee making facilities. We were happy with the room. The hotel is well located for all of what Bournemouth has to offer. We returned back to the hotel and spent 2 good hours in the bar. The desk manager doubles as the barman. It works well, we chose the TV channel and had a few drinks.

The family room had an excellent power shower which was well received. Breakfast was excellent and served with a smile.

The rooms were cleaned to a high standard and all of the staff were very friendly.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a short break to Bournemouth. Its clean, well located and very friendly.

We paid a very reasonable price via BOOKING.COM and I am miffed why so many visitors gave this hotel such a drubbing. SPOOKY.

Room Tip: We had 2 rooms on the ground floor and all slept well.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Coventry, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

Overall our stay was not bad, however on arrival we checked in and were advised our room was back out of the hotel and across the car park. Our room was one of three that can only be described as what looked like staff accomodation. We had our own front door and en-suite, room was very clean and tidy but rather dark as you are below as is if it used to be a cellar maybe.
I do have mobility issues and asked before we located our room as to how many stairs there were down to it, as the guy who booked us in stated to go down the stairs. When asked how many stairs he just sgrugged his shoulders and was rather vague before eventually stating he thought there were about 8. He wasn't far off but what he did neglect to mention was the rickety wooden handrail to use - not recommended if you have a mobility problem, Onc in the room it was very dark and neede lights on. There was air conditioning and tea/coffee facility and tv. However there was no remote control for tv and when asked about they stated they had no spare ones as they kept getting stolen !!! The shower handle fell off when using it. The window was not very secure either as it did not close properly at the top. The walls were plaster board it seemed as you could knock them and they echoed. On the whole as we were only staying 2 night it was bearable but for £100 on the Saturday night considering where we were places and niggly issues I feel this was a little steep - however if I staeyed again I would not stay in Room 002 if longer than weekend. Breakfast was fine but very rushed . Served until 9:30 on the Sunday, but by 9:35 they were hovering round you to clear up and the door was locked so noone could get in - or out if you could'nt fathom the door !!!! On the upside though it is very clean and close to town and seafront.

Room Tip: If you are disabled or have a mobility problem do not accept rooms 001.002 or 003 as they are down u...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Peterborough, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2013

The staff were really helpful and polite, the breakfast was okay could have been a little bit warmer. The coffee was good. The outside of the Hotel looks shabby the lobby area of the Hotel was nice and clearly had been refurbished recently. The size of the room allocated for 2adults and 2 children was fine, the bathroom, linen and towels were all clean and okay. What really lets this hotel down and I cannot see how it gets a 3 star is the state of the bedding, the mattress springs poked through making a very uncomfortable nights sleep, the sofa bed was propped up with a piece of wood, the single bed base was frayed and clearly visible. We spent very little time in the room because it was not very welcoming and I wouldn't suggest a stay at this Hotel to anybody.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Tina P

Travelers are raving about these Bournemouth hotels

Kenilworth, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

Good points - the staff were friendly and welcoming, and lobby and room in which we stay had recently been refurbished and were spotlessly clean.
Bad points - the beds were very uncomfy, the purple hotel name on the outside of the hotel shone through the top of the bedroom curtains to create a purple glow in the room. This along with a green safety light in the room (I can only assume it was there for reasons of safety) and light shining in under the bedroom door meant that when the lights were turned off, you could still see everything! I ended up sleeping with a pillow over my head to block out the light and the snoring from next door. Not great. We ended up putting a towel over the top of the curtains and a t-shirt over the green light, which helped a bit. The bath was sloping and very dangerous to step into to shower. The breakfast was chaos - the staff were very friendly when I managed to attract their attention but there were no glasses left, we weren't asked if we wanted a hot breakfast etc... We had to pay for parking, which seemed odd. When we checked out we weren't asked how our stay was.
All in all I would not go back. I think the rooms, whilst they have been refurbed and do look good, haven't been carefully thought through as beneath the clean surface, there are sleepless nights awaiting you at the Croham!! We booked the room in a rush and stupidly didn't check trip advisor beforehand!

Room Tip: Avoid rooms within sight of the glowing purple sign!
3 Thank etuhs
Exeter, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2013

Where do I begin? Initial greeting from man on reception was surly, unsmiling, unwelcoming, unfriendly ... I arrived with my husband late afternoon and after I gave him our details he declared he wished we hadn't arrived yet as he was sorting the of laundry and it was blocking our bedroom door. (We felt VERY taken aback! We have never been greeted with such rudeness before!) He told us we would have to wait for him to clear a passage! No apology at all.

Entering the bedroom was soo depressing. A triple room comprise of double bed with a single headboard on it (?) which promptly fell off the wall and a single bed. Wardrobe was so close to the bed it could not be opened without scrapping the actual bed, then the door fell down off its screws(?) Teabags were loose and therefore unprotected from dust, handling etc. plastic spoons. Had to get out so got moved to another bedroom on the 3rd floor.

Much better, bigger and brighter but same poor quality mattresses that you could count the springs! No remote control for TV. Was told by the staff they've got a shortage of remote controls. Same loose teabags. Windowless and poor lighting in bathroom. The shower had no regulator - the water temperature was controlled by turning the taps. One second the water was cold and within seconds it was scalding! Obviously someone, somewhere had just pulled the flush! I thought this system went out with the arc!

Breakfast was dire! Again no welcoming "Good morning" or smile. Was left in limbo as to what/where to go. Had to ask whether we could be seated and was told anywhere. And then the staff asked us "what you want?" Charming! Breakfast was tasteless and of poor quality. Tea and coffee were kept warm near the counter so no-one had their own freshly made tea/coffee from their own teapot or coffeepot. I tried both and both tasted awful and very cheap. Breakfast was an embarrassment. And I was charged £4.95 extra for the privilege! (Even though the website states breakfast included!) and I booked through booking.com which gave me no option to book breakfast.

Awful hotel and would never go back. Expensive too for the service we got. £266.80 for the two of us staying a friday and saturday night. Breakfast was £4.95 each and an additional £3.50 per day for parking the car! Thats a new one ... have never been charged for parking my car in the hotels own carpark before!

2 Thank JPSEXETER
Exeter, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2013

we booked this hotel at short notice for sat/sun night at a cost of £200. On arrival we were allocated a twin room on the ground floor. the room was small with an en suite that you could use all three amenities without moving. There was no remote for the TV no hairdryer and no beakers in the bathroom. On complaining I was told that you took pot luck if the rooms had remote/hairdryer and that the controls were on the side of the TV to which I replied, that was fine if you were 6ft, i am only 5ft. I explained that i was paying £100 per night and that this was unacceptable. The receptionist said we could move to a double room the following morning which we did.The morning receptionist was very helpful, moved our bags to the room which was big and lovely. but I cannot understand how they can charge the same price for both rooms. Air con was great as it was the hottest weekend of the year so far. Breakfast was luke warm and on the table before you could get your coffee.

Room Tip: don't book room 104 moved to room 210 and was far better
1 Thank diana_eames