“Excellant value for money”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Croham Hotel

The Croham Hotel
Ranked #62 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Kent
“Excellant value for money”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2013

Not sure where some people have stayed who have written some of the reviews for this hotel. Friends and I stayed here for the night recently when we attended a concert in bournemouth. We found staff very friendly and helpful. Rooms basic, clean with everything you would require such as tea, coffee and toiletries. There was plenty of clean towels also available. As for the breakfast, we found it plentiful and hot.
Overall very good value for money.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Crawley, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2013

The Hotel rooms are basic but very clean and tidy. That is the only good thing that can be said with this hotel as the breakfast was basic , bland and not even hot, and the service was so cold that you just wanted to get up and leave. If like most people you go out in the evening , do not expect much on return as on my stay the night porter was more concerned with his can of beer then doing his job.

Room Tip: Do not stay here
1 Thank andy2013_13

Travelers are raving about these Bournemouth hotels

Surrey, England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013

The only thing that takes away from our stay here is the staff, they just looked miserable.

The rooms were fine and well-decorated with a modern feel, the walls are a little thin but we weren't disturbed in the night.

Beware of hidden charges; car-parking, WiFi etc. If you're 1 minute late checking out they charge you £10, if you're 30 minutes late you have to pay for another night!

If the staff had smiled/been polite it would have made a huge difference to the whole experience, manners don't cost anything!

• Stayed January 2013
Southampton, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2013

Me and my boyfriend booked this hotel as a last minute trip, we paid £30 for the night,including breakfast, after booking i read this trip adviser page i was extremely worried by the most recent reviews,however i was willing to give the hotel the benefit of the doubt.i am glad i did cause i can honestly say there was nothing at wrong with this hotel, based on my expirience at least. It was nicely decorated,modern,clean staff were pleasant and helpful,quick and easy check in and out and as for these "rules" some reviews speak of,the only rule i came upon was that the doors are locked at midnight BUT you can ring the doorbell and the night porter will answer after midnight. Don't know what people are expecting from such a cheap stay but if you have realistic expectations im sure you will be happy with your stay.Definitely would stay again.Note i never met the owner so i cannot comment on the below comments about him.

Somerset
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2013

Negatives

1. Owner reaked of alcohol and very unhelpful plus confrontational.
2. Had to take about a years supply of hair out of the plug hole in the bathroom before we could have a bath.
3. Restaurant closed so no evening meals available, therefore only operating on a B and B basis of which we were not informed before hand (we could have booked a better quality B and B but we wanted a hotel..)
4. No night porter on duty (we were informed on arrival) presumably because hotel was quiet and out of season, not a problem if you go to bed early however it doesn't feel great to know you are locked in and cant get out. A front door key would have been helpful especially when you have 2 dogs with you.
5. Bathroom floor dirty, needed a good sterilise.
6. Carpet in bedroom not properly vacuumed as we could 2 hair clips on the floor and much dust under the bed.
7. The owner is only interested in money and not the service aspect of the industry or repeat trade he was a disgrace.
8. Hotel is completely soul less
9. Breakfast served in the hotel bar as restaurant closed which is very uncomfortable. The tables were far too small and too low to eat off.
10. Hotel is very run down on the outside.

Positives

1. Breakfast simple but nice
2. Staff Friendly and attended to needs
3. Dog friendly (sort of)
4. Plenty of hot water and a powerful shower
5. Reasonable price but beware of extra costs!
6. Reception and Bar modern and clean, but soul less.

A quick overview - we had to leave early as our 16 year old daughter was taken ill. The young lady on reception said she was covering for the owner as he was also unwell and did not know what to do. She was pleasant and had served us breakfast earlier and too be honest she gave us hope that an experience at this hotel could be good (if it wasn't for her understanding and politeness plus the gentleman on the desk on arrival this hotel would have no hope at all!) She however was powerless and seemed a little scared of the owner! After calling him by phone and handing the phone to me to explain the situation the experience in this hotel went down hill very quickly. He was far from understanding and very confrontational. We too are in the hotel industry so understand fully how booking websites work and how they charge commission on reservations etc. We would have hoped that he may have understood as one hotelier to another how hard it is to get some time away and how much organisation it takes, so to leave early is not taken lightly. He tried to baffle me with how much commission he would be charged and when I explained that he could alter my reservation on the booking website and that he should negotiate a better deal as the commission he quoted was ridiculous (and probably a lie!). I was willing to pay a cancellation fee but he was having none of it and said that there was a cancellation policy and that was that. Now while we understand this when the hotel is practically empty and no trade will be lost it is a little harsh, not good service and does not encourage a return stay! I put the telephone down and said to the young lady fine, just let me settle the bill, the phone rang the young lady answered and it was the owner, he said he would be down in 15 minutes if I could wait, we had not loaded the car at this point so I said yes, and thought that maybe he wanted to apologise, how wrong I was!
We were not advised that there would be a charge for the dogs, but when we arrived were told that it would be £15 a night extra for the 2 dogs. We accepted this as it is not unusual to charge for pets, however when the owner cam down to reception he said he would discount the amount we had to pay by not charging for the dogs or the car park for the night we were not staying! I could not believe it and said that is not a discount if we are not staying then you can't charge for the car park when we are not using it or charge for the dogs when they re not in the room! I said a discount would be not to charge for the dogs or the car park on the night we stayed, all he said was you stayed so you pay! I said that it was obvious that the hotel was not full so it wasn't as though he had turned any business away and asked again if he would just let us pay a cancellation fee for the night we would not be staying (bear in mind this was 10.20am in the morning so before check out time it was not as though we had used the room all day) At this point I had to tell him to step away from me as he reaked of alcohol and was extremely hung over! He said that he shouldn't be on duty but had had to come down as I was leaving early, to which I replied your never off duty in the hotel industry especially if you are the owner!
He said that I had had a discount anyway as dogs should have been charged at £10 a night each and we had only been charged £7.50 for each dog - I laughed and said that we were told a price on arrival and accepted this was the full price as had not been told otherwise and that he could not just make up discounts as he went along! He eventually said that he would take £5.00 off the bill for the breakfast we would not be having the next morning (I just wished my husband had not been sitting in the car as he would have laughed even louder at the stupidity of it all) To be honest I was more annoyed at the bad service (from the owner not the staff members), the lack of respect for another individual and the fact that he was not professional with someone from his own profession. We understand policies which is why we paid before departure, but this man is a real disgrace and we would advise that you avoid this hotel if you want to support a business with ethics and a good understanding of how the service/hotel industry works, therefore supporting guests and their experience. He should think himself lucky that the two reception members we dealt with had a better idea of how a hotel should be run. We have rated this hotel as average because our room was ok for a two star (rm 213) even if it needed a little more attention to cleanliness as were the communual areas plus the staff saved the day, however the owner deserves a rating of terrible.

Room Tip: 213 was a little small but shower worked well, and the decorations were modern and bright.
2 Thank MrandMrsB451
Oxford, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013 via mobile

Now I'm not one to believe everything I read I've read some bad reviews on here for every hotel I've ever stayed and thought some had been unfair, all the ones about the croham are true. The reception is fine and staff friendly enough. The room was ok looking, it was just the comfort issue. Bed was so uncomfortable that we both ended up with a half sleepless night (my girlfriend tried the floor for a bit.) and woke with bad backs. The shower handle came off in my hand, managed to fit it back myself but the shower was near uncontrollable, either a dribble and too hot or rushing and too cold. The hotel itself was so so noisy, full of disrespectful 20 something's banging doors at 3am with a full on cat fight going on in the room upstairs.
Unless you're on a jolly with the lads or girls who'll be too messed up not to sleep on the bed I wouldn't even think about stopping here even if it was the last place on the south coast.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank blistertrailer
Blandford, , United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2012

we arrived in the evening and the small car park where you have to pay £3.50 for and there is barely and spaces ,
me and my friend where sharing a twin room on the door there was a cautious note saying about the steps down to the room.. understatement death trap!! the towel rail which looked like it should be heated was wonky the cold tap on the sink ran Luke warm water... they didn't have plastic cups!! or tea spoons !! the shower rail was hanging down and obviously not fitted well the curtains did not fit the room properly the bathroom doors did not have a lock!! and where not the best fitted door at all! the room was cold and the beds where made appallingly!!

on leaving the hotel and going to pay the bill the card had been pre authorized and well they wanted to add an extra £15 to the bill for a guest that had been in the triple room allthough a resident of the hotel...
so an extra £15 for nothing i was then subsequently called a liar which i am not! at the moment the £15 has not been take but i do not feel confident that i gave gave my details to them.. as well from what i have read they seem to be good at taking extra money from there guests

and the breakfast well what could i possibly say one sausage one bit of bacon and a triangle of fried bread and a slice of tomato nutritious! not why even bother the staff barely spoke they where neither friendly or cheerful it was obvious they did not want to be there and i cant blame them for that the hotel should come with a health warning what an appalling place not even worth £5 a night..

Room Tip: book some where else any one who says they would stay there again are obviously tasteless either tha...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo