“Exceptional Value” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #66 of 68 Hotels in Bournemouth
N. Devon
“Exceptional Value”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2012

I am at a complete loss to understand the many poor reviews!! This hotel provides excellent value for money.

Have stayed a couple of times at The Britannia's sister hotel The Roundhouse. Always managed to get a good price and always very happy. This time found an excellent deal at The Britannia so thought we'd give it a go. So glad we did!!! The accommodation was far superior to the more than acceptable rooms at The Roundhouse and the rate was even better.

I fail to understand what some people want??

The room at The Britannia was large and spacious, spotlessly clean with a comfortable bed and fresh linen. The large bathroom with bath, separate shower cubicle and double-basin unit was also modern and spotlessly clean with a decent supply of soft fresh towels.

OK, so there was some very minor cosmetic damage in the room, but who lets this detract from having an enjoyable stay and for the price paid the room was fantastic. The room was not "ultra-modern" in style or "boutique-style" but people have to understand that if that's what they're looking for then go elsewhere and pay the premium.

Other reviewers have complained about the car park charges. While the car park is small (although I got a space with no problems and alternative parking is available at sister hotels) I found £6.00 for two days to be exceptional value, try to park elsewhere in town for that price!! Plus I was aware of the charges before arrival as it clearly is stated on the site I booked through. (However, Hotel please note that Booking.com still states free parking!!! You may wish to amend).

Also there is additional charge for use of the pool. Which at £4.00 is also cheap, but seeing as I wasn't going to use the pool this didn't affect me. The people moaning that these "extras" should be free need to realise that nothing is Free!!! The hotel could abolish the charges but that would simply mean an increase in the room rate. Surely much fairer that those who wish to use the facilities pay to do so.

The staff were professional, helpful and efficient. Check-in was easy, taking less than 5 minutes. The lift is small but works well and there are, of course, stairs.

After first night, went out for day leaving "do not disturb" sign on door. Not that we were in, but I'm quite capable of making my own bed and know that one less room for the hard working room attendants is always a welcome bonus. On return, was pleased to find replacement towels, tea/coffee and toiletries waiting outside the door. These were not needed, but was a nice touch and much appreciated.

Didn't have breakfast, but this was included in the rate so can't comment. But understand it to be an "all you can eat" buffet. Also didn't try the bar menu, however the prices appeared to offer excellent value.

To sup up, Fantastic Stay, Fantastic Value, Will be Back, Will Recommend. Well Done Britannia!!!!

To others, Give it a go, don't be put off by the negative reviews. Be realistic about what you get for your money. If you want 5*, book 5*, pay 5*. If you want comfortable, clean, central accommodation at an excellent price - Look no further than The Britannia.

2 Thank mjb151

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (272)
  • Polish first
York, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2012

For 35 quid what else could anyone want? I had a comfortable room, hot shower with complementary toiletries, a good night's sleep and breakfast before I left. The staff were very pleasant and helpful. If you want excellent value for £35.00 then look here.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Kate G
Birmingham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2012

Following a family emergency we booked this hotel at the last minute in bournmouth .

When we arrived it looked tired from the outside and in the lobby , but you get what you pay for, we just needed somewhere to stop for a night so we werent so fussed.

Price was £35 but as i say you get what you pay for so my expectations werent so high and being from the industry Id got a fair idea of what to expect.

Albeit i wasnt prepared really for just how awful this place was!

Whilst the room was £35 with 3 minutes of entering the hotel we had already been asked for an extra £5 - £3 for parking , given its location i suppose this is to be expected and it is on the website so I didnt particularily begrudge this and then £2 to use a card to pay for the room .

This really is where my annoyance started im afraid. On the back of that I suggested we would pay cash on departure as a regular hotel user - not ever usually a problem. We were told this was not possible and where the nearest cash point was. So after a 4 hour drive my partner went of to find the local cashpoint. I might add our card details had previously been taken , but we were informed on arrival the monies had not been taken - a ploy to get the extra i presume.

So my partner returned - mostly miffed at me for sending him to a cashpoint for the sake of £2 - I explained to him in a private conversation i was not going to be bullied into paying anything. To which the rudest most unproffessional receptionist piped up in broken english. No one has bullied you into anything , in actual fact i have done you a favour you are early and i havent charged you £10 for arriving. My response 'why didnt you send us away then', im usually a little quicker to respond to such a challange but being so horrified and taken a back by the way she had spoken to guests , i took our bags and walked to the room. On refelction i should have said 'a favour ? really we are paying customers..... this is no favour!!!!!'

So as I said , I'm a firm beleiver in you get what you pay for and had i not been so irritated by the receptionist id probably have not noticed everything wrong with the room and or not been so bothered by it.......

The room was tired as was the rest of the hotel , i dont generaly mind this as long as its clean. But 3 words , sack the cleaner or alternatively the management for allowing such low standards in service , attitude and cleanliness. The room was filthy in anywhere that might be difficult to reach , bathroom full of mouldy seals etc i got photos but to be honest cant bring myself to look at them.

We left the hotel within 10 minutes of dumping our bags , nowhere to be particularily but i just didnt want to stay in the hotel. we stayed out most of the day , upon leaving the hotel , I called head office and explained my disgust at the way i had been spoken to by i have to say a very nice girl on the phone. I didnt go into the my disgust over the room as she assured me these problems are dealt with in house and the manager would come to see us . Did he or she ever turn up...... NO ! Did he follow up over the phone, having all my details ....... NO !

To add insult to injury quite litterally, there was an unboxed in hot water pipe ....... filthy of course , just under the window , which over heated the room unbearably - the other half got up in the night to open the window and it was that hot burnt his foot on it.......

We nipped down took advantage of breakfast the next morning this was not a favour again we'd paid for this, which was ok, not the best ive had but no where near the worst either and left.

My advice , if you want rude staff and a filthy room this is the hotel for you. If not having stayed in better B&Bs and Hotels in Bournmouth , pay the extra and enjoy your stay.

• 1 of 5 bubbles

Travelers are raving about these Bournemouth hotels

Salisbury, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2012

Stayed one night for our wedding anniversary, but, never again. The hotel is old, quite dirty and needs a lot of work done to it. When we arrived there was no one on the desk guests milling about in the reception area, eventually a man went behind the desk not in uniform no idea who he was and checked us in as he could find no one to do the job. We were on a DDB rate, we were told that there was a big party in and they were eating in the restaurant! between 19.00 and 19.30 we said we would eat at 19.45 so would have a drink in the bar first Bar if that is what you can call it was just rows of seats no atmosphere. Went in at 19.45 for our meal NO guests in restaurant and NO food. NO staff wanted to talk to you No eye contact. Food very poor considering we paid more than the groups that were in there but got what and if they left anything. NO will not be going back

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2012

Booked in here for a short break holiday of 5 nights dinnr bed and breaksfast from Thur 4/10/12 and only stayed the one night.
I am usually of the opinion that a lot of people use trip advisor to moan about hotels etc and always look and say it cant be that bad.. beleive me this is.
My Husband and I are of the plus sized over 50 and under 55 group. We were allocated room 425 at the top of the hotel. I ended up putting socks on and sleeping ??? on top of the covers so I did not have to walk on the dirty thred worn carpet to get to the toilet during the night. The toilet was so small that when sitting down my head was in the shower cubicle and i just fitted in the corner beside the wash basin. Small is too big a word to discribe this cupboard. We asked Peter at reception if they had another room and he asked us to wait untill the next day as they were full. After waiting half an hour the next morning, we were advised that there was a room available withh a much bigger toilet and went to see this room. It was bigger and the carpet a bit better however looked straight into the rooms across the other side of the hotel and the heat in the room was terrible with no means of us turning this down. THe wardrobe doors had areas where paint had come of the doors and the general air was of very shabby. My husband had had enough and we turned down this room and were told that we would have no refund due as this was a special offer and that the heating was not on in the hotel at all. We were just glad to get out of this place and I will be trying to get my money back.
WORDS OF ADVISE..............DONT GO THERE. This place needs taken into the 21st century kicking and screaming and money spent upgrading everything. Hotel photos should be upgraded yearly to show a true and acurate reflection of the places as the pictures on the web site has to be from when they first opened.

Room Tip: no good rooms
Worcester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2012

I stayed here for a weekend the room was clean , but i spent all night being able to hear the mechanics of the lift working which ws a big buzzing noise , the first morning i had a lie in and missed breckfast so when i got to reception i asked if i could buy a coffee , the women behind the desk looked at me as if i was mad and explained the breckfast was finihsed and suggested i go to the KFC 5 min walk down the road , i almost burst out laughing , what a absolute joke . That evening a couple of us were drinking in the bar , and the barman called last orders at 11 which i was shocked at, as you know most hotel are open as long as guest are there, i went to reception to ask if we could have one more drink , we had been spending decent amount of money ( guinness is £3.75 , i would expect that price in a decent hotel but not one that seems more like an eastern european hostel) . The guy behind reception explained to me that there are only licensed till 11 and if i wanted he could call the police to explain licensing laws , this comment wound me up , the guy has no manners at al, very drastic statement to make . A women finally came over and said i could get some drink in a back room and take to the bar , not sure if this was legal or not , 2 gin and tonic and 2 hot choclates , £20 sumthing quid down the pan . This hotel is a joke and unless the only thing you are using it for is to sleep then don not go there, there are much better ones all around bournemouth . DONT USE THIS HOTEL

Room Tip: Just use it to sleep at , But try not to use it at all
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Worcester
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

Have just visited for the weekend on a Veterans rugby tour. In the past 6 years we have had very good hotels, however, this wasn't one of them. The hotel was clean but to say it had a tired appearance is being kind - it is exhausted!!
Our room was clean when we arrived and that was the only time it was clean. On the Friday night I took a takeaway meal back to the room and put the leftovers into the bin. They were still there Sunday morning when we checked out! No paint on the inside of the bathroom window and duvets that barely covered the beds. At breakfast when I asked if any fresh coffee was being brought out I was told to use the sachets provided which was very poor freeze-dried muck. In all fairness the breakfast was of good quality.
For a group of grizzled old rugby players the hotel ticked the boxes - but only just! If you're looking for something with a bit more quality to spend with your wife etc choose somehere else.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the front as the rooms at the back have poor views of nothing but other buildings.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends