“Pretty average hotel, a bit overpriced and don't go there for the food!”

Britannia Hotel Bournemouth
Ranked #64 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Bath
“Pretty average hotel, a bit overpriced and don't go there for the food!”
Reviewed May 15, 2011

The room was clean enough, very small plastic bathroom and not a great view (our room was overlooking a flat roof and the car park. I would say that the price you pay is for the location and not the hotel facilities, as the location is fantastic (5 mins walk to the beach, if that). Based just on the hotel, I'd say the room was worth about £40 for a night.

Breakfast in the hotel restaurant was awful! I have had many hotel breakfasts in my time, but the cooked breakfast was really terrible - rubbery scrambled eggs and mushrooms, baked beans that had been sitting there for hours, cold bacon...etc. Other than that, a few cereals and tinned fruit emptied into bowels. I asked for soya milk (due to allergies) and got told abruptly by a polish waiter that they had none. Then, afterwards, when complaining to the manager, he advised that they did in fact have soya milk - although he was not apologetic at all.

There is a "spa" onsite, which you have to pay an additional £2.50 per person, per day for. It includes a very basic indoor swimming pool, jacuzzi and tiny sauna room. To sum up - wasn't overly impressed but not a hideous experience either! I would not recommend it as it was overpriced, but I suppose the location was good.

1 Thank emily267
boursd, General Manager at Britannia Hotel Bournemouth, responded to this review, May 17, 2011
Thank you for writing your review and staying at our Hotel Emily267. I can find record of your complaint and feel it most unfair that your did not allow us to correct your issues whilst you were with us. We have no plastic bathrooms although our shower cubicles are made of plastic.
I amsurprised regarding your comments on our breakfast as this is of a high quality. We have a large selection at breakfast and all ingredients are fresh. It is a buffet style and is checked on a regular basis for quality.
We do not have soya milk on hand and this has to be requested. I am not aware of any request from yourself made to me.
The pool is £2.50 per visit or £5.00 for the length of your stay and this needs to be corrected on your review.
I am sorry we have not met your expectations on this occassion but please introduce yourself to me on your next visit.
Steve Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (280)
  • Polish first
london
Reviewed May 3, 2011

very nice staff,clean sheets on the beds,bathrooms in the first 4 rooms were a health hazard,filthy,mouldy, shoddy bodged up repairs look like they have been carried out by children.
Dirty dusty cobweb strewn,creaking floors,water damage.
On the other hand if you come out of the hotel and turn left it leads to one of the grottiest,drunk infested,run down parts of this sad place.
My wife will probably do her own review,thats how bad it was,so bad in fact we were in hysterics,laughing like loons.

Room Tip: run away
2 Thank elginge
Richard_Martin09, Manager at Britannia Hotel Bournemouth, responded to this review, May 6, 2011
Dear Elginge

Thank you for your review on trip advisor. We do not have any record of any complaints made by your during your stay. I would be very happy to discuss the short comings you have listed should you wish to get in contact with us and appreciate the positive points you also made.

We do accept that things may not always be perfect, but we do appreciate a fair opportunity to put things rights.

Steve Hotel Manager

Travelers are raving about these Bournemouth hotels

Birmingham, England
Reviewed April 28, 2011

I disagree with the last review - certainly not good value! £120 for one night is way overpriced. Rooms are ok'ish' size, decent bed, bathroom is small but is dirty (mould, discolouration etc).

Hotel needs more refurbishment and those lifts are tiny.

Breakfast was edible.

We got stuck here due to lack of other hotel vacancies, wouldn't bother again.

Reception service was good.

1 Thank kevm6
boursd, General Manager at Britannia Hotel Bournemouth, responded to this review, May 6, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to review the Britannia Bournemouth on trip advisor. We appreciate your balanced review.

We do have alot of excellent offers on at the moment so please take advantage of these. Please introduce yourself to me on your next visit.

Steve Hotel Manger
Rugby, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 26, 2011

stayed at many hotels in bournemouth and the brittannia hotel is the best value so far.
this hotel is not perfect but is great value, most other hotels were looking for twice as much £ to stay with them.
yes lifts are small, food is canteen standards, and the hotel is not spotless, neither is the royal bath down the road, however it is located right next to the beech, close to town centre.
most of the staff were plesant and helpful and we enjoyed are buffet breakfast and dinner very much and for a good price, all you can eat.
yes the bathroom was small but it did the job.
if you want a luxury hotel dont come here but if you want good value i would rccommend the brittannia hotel.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family

We are trying to improve the standards of the Hotel and as review suggests we have made great strides.

Please introduce yourself on your next visit.

West Midlands
Reviewed April 24, 2011

This is our third stay at the Britannia, and we have always been very satisfied. Our room was clean and very bright with a big bathroom. However, some of the inward facing rooms can tend to be rather dark.

The hotel is ideal for families as the restaurant is buffet style, so you don't have to wait to be served (which is very useful when you have hungry, fidgety children!). The choice at breakfast is excellent. The menu choice at dinner is a little more limited, but we enjoyed everything we had.

There is a lovely indoor swimming pool (small charge for residents) with a jacuzzi, and there is entertainment most nights. The staff were all very helpful and friendly. The hotel is only a few minutes walk from the beach, and not much further to the shops. The only drawback was parking, which was quite limited, but you can park at The Roundhouse just up the road.

My only gripe is with some inconsiderate residents, who come in very late at night and just let their doors SLAM SHUT! I know this isn't the hotel's fault, but "dampeners" on the doors would be a good idea.

Overall, the Britannia is a "family friendly" hotel, and is excellent value for money. Our children love it, and I am sure we will return!

Room Tip: Get down to breakfast early.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank LoveholsWestMidlands
Thank you very much for your review Lovehols. I am glad that you have taken the time to write your review and look forward to welcoming you back at Britannia sometiome soon.

Please introduce yourself to me on your next visit.

Reviewed April 16, 2011

My partner and I visited this hotel as we both love Bournemouth.
It's located on east cliff which is 5-10 minutes from beach on foot.
We checked into the room which was only big enough for a very odd shaped double bed to fit and the bathroom was so small you could not both access this at same time.
The floor was covered in stains and mess (not hoovered), the room smelt bad and the bathroom door handle was hanging off.
I complained to receptionist who had no other rooms available so upgraded us. We then went to our new room to find that people pay extra for this room when it is the basic requirement of a hotel. It was a normal size, with a normal (hard) bed. The bath just managed to fit 2 of us in. The windows still contained mould.
Buffet breakfast was ok, bacon, sausages, fried bread, toast, tomatoes and eggs. Also cereals. They serve tea and coffee to your table however, when I left I noticed they were re using the milk that was left on the tables for your tea and coffee.
I would not use this hotel again unless it went under renovation. In future I will use ones I know of.

• Stayed April 2011
Thank you for your review with Trip Advisor.

I am sorry you had a disappointing stay and would be grateful if you would either get in touch with me Steven Duke at The Britannia.

I can assure you we are continually trying to improve the standards at Britannia and although we have come along way we are aware we still need to keep improving

Please introduce yourself on your next visit.

Torquay, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 15, 2011

The service was decidedly average the staff were indifferent car parking very limited and on departure our car was blocked in by a member of the hotel staffs car.

The room was very small and the interior although clean was run down we met another guest in the car park who was of the same opinion and in her words (the place made her itch)

My wife left her mirror in the room when we left and despite 3 phone calls we never actually got an answer from the hotel as to whether they had found it or not even though they promised to phone back.
Emailed the head office to query the poor response to our phone calls and never got a reply.
I stay in hotels on a regular basis for business and this hotel provides the worst customer service I have ever encountered. Also the only hotel i have ever known that charges to use the swimming pool.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review on Trip Advisor. Your comments are not balanced and do not reflect the experience enjoyed by many of our guests.

Britannia strive to offer 'best in value' and it would appear you main reason for complaining was the limited car parking. I am sorry if feel your complaint has not been dealt however we have no record of your telephone call regarding a mirror. We do ask that any complaints are raised during the break, providing us with a fair opportunity to put the 'issues' right!