“Best B&B yet.”

Ranked #45 of 132 Bournemouth B&B and Inns
Basingstoke Hants
“Best B&B yet.”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

From the time we arrived we were made to feel welcome and that our custom was valued. The decor and furniture owed absolutely nothing to modern minimalism for which we were truly thankful, being an older couple with traditional tastes. Our room was at the back of the hotel, very quiet, well appointed with en-suite and a really comfortable bed plus free-view TV. The town centre and front were a bit of a trek for me and my gammy leg, but within easy distance of the hotel were several pubs and restaurants all serving good food to a variety of tastes. Breakfast was full English, which easily kept us going until lunch. Altogether a very relaxing and enjoyable stay, which we shall be repeating in the not too distant future.

1 Thank Chris P

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Surrey uk
Reviewed August 31, 2012

Stayed here August 18th -August 25th 2012
The Hotel Very well situated in a quite part of Bournemouth. Very handy for the town,bars and buses.The room we stayed in number 7 was of a very good standard and very clean The bed was very comfortable as were the pillows.The quilt and sheets were of the highest standard. We had a lovely view of the sea and the Isle of Wight. No noise from outside but that may have been because we were round the back i don't know.Free-view TV,we were out most of the week but when you come back to get changed before going out to eat it was handy to switch on.Rooms cleaned every day and towels changed every other day.Shower was a bit small and not very fast but was ok for a holiday stay.Our room was at the top and there was no lift but if you can walk not a problem i would assume you would look into this and not stay here if you were disabled as you had to walk down some stares to the dining room.

The Breakfast. Was very small for our liking but perhaps we are big eaters.One sausage only one piece of bacon and one small tomato and one egg.I know this sounds strange but i do not like the yoke of the egg and usually give it to my partner to eat. On the 4th morning of our stay i accidentally drooped some of this while passing it over to his plate.We mopped this up with our napkin and cleaned it up very well only when we were served our toast by David i was made to feel like a naughty school girl for making a mess.Whether or not he was joking i don't know but i feel very uncomfortable.This must of played on his mind all day because when we came back that evening even though he was dealing with some new guest cheeking in he asked us to wait as he wanted a word with us,again i felt like a naughty child returning from a day out. I was tired and wanted to go up to our room so i asked my partner to wait. When he returned to the room i asked what it was about and he said it was about the egg this morning.Did i not like eggs. My partner told him to give him my egg in future which he did but he had to sacrifice a tomato for the extra egg which he gave me half of.There was only one small glass of fruit juice.I know this sounds petty and you are reading this now as i would and saying what do some people expect but i did feel uncomfortable.

The Hosts.I only meet two and only knew on of there names. When we arrived David answered the door and we had already told him we would be late arriving which we were told was not a problem. We said we would not be there till 90'clock but we arrived at 8 o'clock. When we were grated at the door we were meet with o you are early in what i fault was a very sarcastic manner. We were asked to pay for our stay there and then but i have no problem with this and this has always been the case in every hotel we have stayed at in England.David said i will not bombard you with information now as i am sure you want get settled in your rooms. But when we got to the room we were given a set of rules for about 10 minutes. Now i know there has to be rules and have no problem with them but feel that these could be put in the room somewhere so you do not have to stand there again like a school child in front of there teacher.
I must say her was very helpful with places to go and things to do and what buses to catch as we decided to come down by train and leave the car to home. But we could have asked this during the cause of our stay.Apart from breakfast and the egg incident which i feel he was looking out for us to come home we did not see David for the rest of the stay. I just felt uncomfortable like i had done something wrong and upset him. When he served us breakfast he served my partner first and said here you are sir but just dumped my plate in front of me without a word. Other guest were asked if they enjoyed there day yesterday and where they were going that day but not us.When we came back one evening one of the other owners was outside and said hello to my partner and asked him where we had been. he looked at me and said hello but then continued talking to my partner as if i was not there. i was beginning to have a complex but after the egg incident my partner said he felt like he was being singled out as well.we did not stay for breakfast on the morning we went home and went out instead.

I loved Bournemouth as i had not been there since i was a child and it was nice to go back but do feel that the owners need to go on a course for customer care of something like that and that David should not be front of house.

I would Stay here again and would recommend people to stay here as it is very good value for money and in a good position for all amenities but i probable wont be welcome after this review.I can only speak as i find and give an honest opinion of my stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back.
2 Thank lonedoone
Newark65, Owner at The Newark Hotel, responded to this review, September 3, 2012

We are pleased you enjoyed your room, level of comfort and cleanliness but
would like to address some of the other issues you raised.

On your arrival you say you felt sarcasm because I, not David greeted you
at 8pm and casually noted you were early, this was meant as a general
observation said in a friendly and welcoming manner that you had arrived
early why you could take offence at such a comment when your room had been
ready from 1pm surprises me.
We are sorry that you felt our introduction to a public building made you
feel like a child in front of a teacher but would you be the first to
complain if there was an incident which affected you if only the
proprietor had explained certain things to you in the first place.
To help and give advise to our guest with places to eat and other
activities is always a pleasure,although you appreciated this its seems
the timing was not right for you for which we apologise-we were trying to
be helpful.

We are a converted Victorian property with no lift, your room was on the
2nd floor and not on the top,disabled guest are quite savvy and aware
these days of there needs and would not reserve a room in a property
without lifts and good disabled access unfortunately the lay out and
period of our property limit us in what we can offer.

Our breakfast is of a good standard which fills a dinner/breakfast plate
consisting of bacon ,sausage ,hash brown,tomatoes,mushrooms and
eggs.Realising presentation to be important we do not like to present our
breakfast like something out of a transport café piled high and swimming
in baked beans although we appreciate some people would find that very
appealing, breakfast juice is served in glasses suitable for the occasion
we feel pint glasses would be alittle over the top, guest just ask for
more when wanted without any hesitation.
After your unfortunate accident when transferring your egg we helped you
to clear it up accidents happen.Noticing for the first time that you did
not like eggs David noted to ask you later whether we could offer you
anything different or cook your eggs differently.
unlike yourself this incident did not play on any of our minds why should
it? it was a small accident.
Later that day David asked your partner if he could offer you something
different which we did the next morning.

Your partner met all your host there are 3 and had several conversations
with each, unfortunately you were not around when they took place,I was
the person who was talking with your partner the afternoon you returned
and I said hello to you but you carried on walking up the steps and
through the door you were not ignored but I do not find it good manners to
talk to the back of a persons head.On every occasion David or myself spoke
to you both it was always your partner who answered and did the talking he
even ordered your beverages at breakfast I talked with him when you
arrived when I carried your luggage to your room we were under the
impression you were not a great talker and more reserved which is fine but
you were never ignored.

We are sorry you felt uncomfortable for what ever reason,we as
accommodation providers are here to offer the very best service possible
although like any one there are times when we might fall short which we
would rectify immediately. We ask you take a look at previous reviews and
I would like to think on the majority of occasions we do achieve this.You
say you were beginning to feel a complex but I think on this occasion you
arrived with a complex.
We would be happy to host you again and promise we would never treat you
like a naughty school child-only if you wanted us to that is.

We wish you the best
Reviewed August 28, 2012

It felt strange on arrival, when told to pay full amount,and had not even seen my room yet.Which was just behind us . Have stayed in 5* hotel close by and they collect full payment the night before or on checking out.
Got family inside room to then be told, window faulty and engineer will arrive to repair [4 night's and still not repaired ].
But apart from that , the best looking small hotel on the road.very nicely decorated inside and out . kept clean and tidy .location is short walk to beach and to town /shop.
Breakfast was good but i like my toast with my breakfast , not after.
Overall a quiet ,comfortable and clean. small hotel in good location.
would recommend this hotel to single or couples.

2 Thank me7o7my
Newark65, Owner at The Newark Hotel, responded to this review, August 29, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to leave your review
Please, once again accept my apologies about the broken mechanism on the window we did inform you immediately after the engineer called us to confirm he would not be able to fix the problem until after the Bank holiday weekend-the problem in no way stopped you from opening or closing the window it was just slightly restricted how far the window would open, we did inform you immediately about this when you arrived which had happened that morning the problem was fixed by lunchtime Tuesday it was unfortunate this happened over a Bank Holiday weekend.
As stated when you reserved over the telephone and by confirmation e-mail we do not have a 24 hour reception and all balances become due on arrival.
When a guest arrives at a large hotel and the receptionist request to see your credit card this is to pre authorise an amount to cover your stay at that establishment,so you might think you are paying on departure but the hotel as already checked that funds are available on your card to cover the duration of your stay, this is no different than paying on arrival but not everyone realises this.
Once again thank you we very much appreciate you taking the time to write your review.
London
Reviewed August 27, 2012

What a lovely place. Like the reviews say, Dave is a great host, Describes himself as grumpy but he's like a teddy bear with a really dry sense of humour. They don't let stags or hens stay which is a huge bonus in Bournemouth at weekends. Very clean and tidy. Breakfasts are nice, not enormous but perfectly sized. With Dave's eccentric ways you get the toast AFTER the main breakfast. Never been anywhere where you get a set table too.. and it's really well situated for beach and town.

How good is this place? All we can say is that when we go to Bournemouth we wouldn't stay anywhere else.

PS If this place is full, make sure you pick a place which doesn't allow hens or stags unless you are in one......

Room Tip: Rooms at the back will be quieter at weekends with the hens and stags but then we were at the front...
1 Thank LondonFet
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Just returned from a three night stay at the Newark.Beautiful hotel,comfortable room,spotlessly clean.Received a wonderful welcome from David,he's absolutely charming with a great sense of humour! Fabulous English breakfast served each morning.Hotel is situated in a great location,very central to beach & shops.I would highly recommend this hotel with impeccable service and hosts.Thank you for a wonderful stay.Anna & Andreas x

Reviewed August 10, 2012

Made to feel very welcome before we even arrived. Hotel run by really lovely warm people nothing is too much trouble. Hotel was spotless and keept lovely. I have stayed in 5* hotels in Bournemouth and they havent been as clean or as nice as this one. I will be going back to stay again soon and Im so happy I have found one I wont to return too. That hasnt happenned before and I have been going to Bournemouth for years. Exelllent valve for money.

Kassel, Germany
Reviewed August 6, 2012

My wife and I spent two nights at this fantastic hotel while travelling through England. We were overwhelmed by the friendliness and helpfulness of our hosts from the very beginning. The rooms were really beautiful, the breakfast extremely tasty and the price was more than reasonable. What impressed us most, however, was that the nice people at The Newark Hotel even took the special trouble to send our rain jackets that we had left in the cupboard - due to the great weather in Bournemouth - back to Germany. We will gladly come again to this wonderful place!

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple