The Ocean View Hotel
The Suncliff Hotel(Bournemouth)
  • Beachfront
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Bar/Lounge
All reviewssister hotelcottonwood boutiquecreaky floorboardsoutdoor poolsea frontthe cliffdecent sizelovely roomreception deskwould stay againsingle roomfull englishbit datedevening mealfamily rooma lovely staytown centre
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 25, 2013

I stay in hotels on business most weeekends of the year. I had booked in here for 3 nights but could tolerate only 2. I mentioned to the reception staff that I was on business and they kindly arranged an early breakfast. So far, so good. I was put in a room on the first floor and unfortunately kept awake by creaking floorboards and banging doors. It's an old building so I just lived with it. Breakfast was provided by the night porter who was very impressive indeed with his concept of good service. If only the same could be said of reception

The 2nd night was something else entirely. The room shuddered and shook from the disco 1 floor below me and was loud enough to drown out the TV in the room -yes, really. I asked reception when it would finish and was told 11pm but it would quieten down from 10pm. It didn't so I asked reception why it hadn't become more acceptable and what time it would actually finish. Now I was told it would be 1130 because the organisers had asked for and been granted an extension. I had the nasty feeling I'd been fobbed off earlier and that the disco was always scheduled to finish at 1130. Staying for the 3rd night -or ever again- was an unbearable thought.

Room Tip: Don't go unless you are deaf
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
EastcliffProject, Manager at The Ocean View Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2013

Thank you for your comments and I'm disappointed to learn that you didn't enjoy your stay.
We do make it clear on our website that the hotel has functions most weekends, which pre warns other guests that they may experience some noise. Hopefully there was an offer to move you to a room in a different wing of the hotel, away from the function room, but if we were full then this would not have been possible.
A shame that you were so very disappointed with your stay, quite the contrary from the majority of our recent guests.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

We stayed here for a birthday treat and had a lovely time. The rooms were nice and clean, although hairdryer like a relic from a 70s swimming pool and products in bathroom not great. We had an amazing view of the sea( defo worth paying a bit more) but lots of noise as walls/ceilings thin. Great bar and lovely pool but you need to go next door if you want any food, even though they had a bar snacks menu. Overall great hotel but just a little in need of updates, especially halls and lifts.

Room Tip: Go for a sea view, Bring a hairdryer and bathroom products
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 21, 2013

The staff were helpful welcoming and friendly. The location of the hotel was perfect with fantastic views and the outdoor pool was lovely - I was there during hot weather! The hotel itself was very tired looking and in disparate need of a makeover. Each floor had different carpet which was tired looking. My room was immaculately clean with nice facilities and soft furnishings but again the decor was very tired - with tiles in the bathroom dating from the 1970's!! There was a quirkiness about the hotel I liked and with careful decor could become its main feature. Rather expensive in view of what is needed here

• Stayed: July 2013

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay at the Ocean View and glad that you enjoyed your stay. We are gradually working though the bedrooms; redecorating and upgrading the furnishings; however there are no short term plans to update the corridors. Despite the décor though it seems you very much enjoyed your stay and I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed July 19, 2013

A last-minute break to make the most of the lovely weather. Paid a little extra for a sea view room which was well worth it - refurbished room with plenty of space and wonderful view. Very hot when we arrived and no fans available - it cooled down a little 'tho still rather too warm - but the weather was exceptional. The staff were pleasant and very helpful, pool good, evening meal at the boutique hotel next door exceptionally good and reasonably priced. Breakfast good - buffet style but the food hot and fresh and the sausages were particularly tasty, herby and locally sourced, as was all the food.

We will definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Well worth paying extra for a sea view room.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Many thanks for your comments and I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay at the Ocean View Hotel and I'm glad that you popped next door to enjoy dinner at the Garden Restaurant. We do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to one of our hotels in the near future.

Reviewed July 15, 2013

A clean, pleasant hotel on the edge of the town with views of the coast. Excellent staff who really did aim to please. Good food, plenty of off road parking. Due to the long winter still persisitng the pool was still not operational in early May when we were there. But it was being filled over the weekend and did look very inviting.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Jeniferf671

Thank you for your feedback and delighted that you enjoyed your stay at the Ocean View Hotel in May. With the sunny weather being like it is, the pool has been a popular haunt for all of our residents, long may it continue.

I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.