“SEAVIEW”

The Ocean View Hotel
Ranked #63 of 133 Bournemouth B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 15, 2012

we only stayed 1 night, but the hotel was clean, comfortable and value for money.. we cannot comment on the food, as we did not eat here.. evening meal we went to another hotel for a reunion, and the breakfast, we left early to see friends...
The hotel was tired,but our room was clean, the bed was comfy, the bathroom was in need of a revamp, but towels were clean and soft..We had a seaview room, which they gave us, as they had moved us from their sister hotel. no complaint there, great views. Parking is a problem, its free outside the hotel after 5pm until 9am. if you cannot get in the hotel carpark.
All in all the hotel is value for money.

Room Tip: high floor with seaview...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The Ocean View Hotel

Reviewed October 7, 2012

Started of so well. The receptionist, julieta (?), was friendly and very helpful. The view from our room was really good, looking out to the sea, it was quite large and clean linen. Unfortunately that's where the positives end. The quilt cover had tea/coffee stains on it from a while before our visit and the toilet wasn't cleaned.
We were there for a family wedding with the reception in the hotel itself. We were hoping for a drink before the wedding but the bar wasn't open however that wasn't really too much of a problem and the ultimately the hotels loss. On returning it was very much like the staff were surprised that a function was taking place. The bar took ages to open and they had to pull the pipes through while everyone waited! Don't get me wrong the staff did their best and we had no problems with them but it did seem undermanned. Everything was delayed which ultimately had a knock on effect throughout the night resulting in the band being put on late leaving them less time so they done a reduced stint.
The breakfast was simply awful. Very minimalistic with rationed butter and sugar, very greasy cooked breakfast, cereals pre-plated small portions, warm milk and no fruit or yoghurts. It was like the hotel was limiting what you could have and putting you off from having more.
Would not have been my choice to start, only stayed because of the wedding, and it certainly hasn't done anything to change my mind. Some great staff but couldn't make up for the experience.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 30, 2012

For those that watch 4 in a bed:
Staff - friendly and helpful, and made for an enjoyable stay
Cleanliness - it was clean, no stray hairs anywhere!
Facilities - this is where they let themselves down a bit, the bedroom was a good size but was tired, carpet thin and loose making it a bit of a trip hazard for high heels, my wife not me! The bathroom whilst functional needed updating (consider bringing your own towels As the one in the room were thin) and the digital TV good but just on dressing table and I caught my leg on the trailing arial lead. Don't get here too late car park ok but not convinced big enough for the amount of rooms. The area is not car friendly with double yellows everywhere and limited car parking. The view from triple aspect window was great. All the hangars matched and it was a proper full size kettle in the room not one of those stupid little ones. If booking a family function the hotel works well for this and the meal was excellent.
How did we sleep - the problem for me is I like the room to be dark or I wake up too early, so read the rest with that in mind. The curtains were clean but very thin and only attached to some of the rings, eg one had 26 rings on the pole but only 7 hooked onto the curtain (reminded me of the kind you see st a squat) and the curtain pole was screwed onto the old pelmet box which meant they were about 10 inches from the window, so don't expect the rooms to be dark, pillows not to my liking but that is probably because I'm fussy. Bed too short and soft, admittedly I'm 6'6" but my feet stuck out from my shins. Drink lots of alcohol from the bar which seemed reasonably priced for a hotel and you'll sleep fine or bring eye masks. Check the radiators when you arrive, a setting of 3 was too hot for us when it came time for bed
How was breakfast - the food was good but they could have been sharper checking on the food in the hot plates, went up 3 times to get breakfast but they never had plates, bacon, eggs available at the same time we had to tell them it had run out, when I did get it I really enjoyed it.
Would I stay here again - if I was in bournemouth I

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Dave0166
Reviewed September 28, 2012

24/9 - 28/9. We have just returned from a 4 day break break at the Ocean View Hotel, Bournemouth. My wife get a bus up once a year (about 40 people) and every one was very pleased with the Hotel, Staff Meals and how clean the rooms were. Entertainment was twice in the week, this was very good. The Hotel was a 10-15 minute walk into town, bus stop just over the road. Most of the rooms had a very good sea view which is exelent. Well done Ocean View.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Carmen B
Reviewed August 31, 2012

We stayed at this hotel over the Air Show weekend. I booked a week in advance, realising they would be busy, and asked for a room with a sea view, which we got. The room (309) itself was spotlessly clean and nicely decorated but the bathroom could have been a little more carefully attended to: a couple of the tiles were plaster filled where the pipes for the old toilet had been, some of the grouting had cracked the length down the wall, the side panels of the bath did not fit properly, and in the doorway the floor tile grouting had worn. But the reason I gave it no more than an average rating had to do with the inconvenience caused to me personally because of the lift.

The day before we were due to travel I had a fall and cracked a rib. Because I hadn't wanted to lose the money being unable to cancel the booking in time, we went down regardless, me gritting my teeth all the way, and booked in. There was no parking space available at the hotel or its sister next door, The Cottonwood Boutique Hotel, but we were allowed to park between the two in front of double garage doors. I took the lift up to the third floor; my husband went to get something out of the car and by the time he got back, the lift was out of order (at 1.30pm) and was still out of order when we left the next morning. The reason the hotel has as many as three stars is because during this time the staff proved themselves stars; although I did not want personal help in getting up stairs (I wanted the working lift, dammit), they apparently carried one elderly woman up to the top floor. We were offered - and got - breakfast served in our room.

I realised on reading some of the reviews that problems with the lift are not infrequent, so if you have any sort of mobility problem this hotel is not the best place to stay. I found the 12minutes it took me to get up the stairs because of breathing difficulties with my cracked rib embarrassing, wearing and annoying; under normal circumstances it would have just been an inconvenience. Although the staff are excellent, the building itself is not; perhaps the owners should turn their fiscal attention to making sure the infrastructure is as efficient as their staff are and get that elderly lift replaced. It needed a new brake this time, apparently, but there must surely come a time when it becomes false economy to replace bits that no longer work instead of replacing the whole thing. It is the only reason I shan't return to this otherwise very pleasant hotel.

Room Tip: It's definitely worth asking for a sea view; the view is magnificent and reasonably unimpeded.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 13, 2012

We attended a 50th anniversary dinner over the weekend and I can only say what a splendid meal and atmosphere the hotel laid on. The service was 5 star as was the meal, would recommend the hotel as a venue for a function.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 12, 2012

My partner has just returned from a stag weekend and would NOT recommend this hotel. They were not told about the 500 pound deposit they needed to give before they booked so when they arrived they had no choice but to pay. This saftey deposit was supposed to be for "Damages". So when they checked out this morning all rooms having been checked and damage free they were astounded when the hotel kept 400 pound back due to 1 complaint about noise on the first night. The hotel has justified this saying they have had to refund someones room and pay for someones dinner which cost altogether 130 pounds. They apprieciate paying what is owed but to keep 400 pound is ridiculous and a money making scam. Also when checking the rooms the staff member came straight into the room without knocking first and did not even appolgise. The hotel were pre warned that this was a group of stags and where happy to take the booking at the time. Fellow stags and hens beware this is not stag friendly!!!!

Room Tip: Very dated but was clean ish.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends