“funky hotel/bar”

The Urban Beach Hotel
Ranked #14 of 133 Bournemouth B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 3, 2012

Room was well appointed, nice bathroom. Bar/restaurant definitely lively, food really tasty. Cocktails yummy. Breakfasts very good. Nice ambience. Slightly odd location but actually really convenient for both Boscombe & Bournemouth area. Staff all friendly & helpful. Ate one night at Urban Reef just down the road, slight error with order but rectified well.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank samcat392
There are newer reviews for The Urban Beach Hotel

Reviewed May 31, 2012

I stayed here for one night in January and took advantage of the half price rooms. Had the rooms not been half price, I probably wouldn't have stayed as it is slightly out of my price range normally. The hotel was slightly out of the way, we walked a good 30 minutes from the train station to get there.

The welcome was lovely, and the room was what I expected from the pictures.

The only problem with the room was that the heating came on at 6am and was far too hot, it woke us up and we then couldn't get back to sleep. The water in the bath was also very hot and it took a lot of playing around with the tap to get the right temperature. But other than this, the room was great.

Breakfast the next morning was very generous, a selection of pastries and cereals with the option for a cooked breakfast as well as this.

I do think the reception is too close to the door, it meant that while we were waiting to check in and then pay up at the end, we were in the way of others trying to get in and out.

But all in all, it was a lovely hotel and I had an enjoyable time there.

• Stayed: January 2012
Reviewed May 25, 2012

Having worked for an airline for the last ten years, I end up living 50% of my life in 4 & 5 star hotels.

I stayed at Urban Beach for my friends wedding. The food was fantastic. My bed was beautifully comfortable and there where some lovely touches to my room that made me feel like I was not in another generic chain.

But the Urban Beach sets itself apart from the rest with it's staff. If you are looking for a formal hotel where the staff are wearing a matching uniform and delivering a formal service with no character or personality then I am not sure Urban Beach is for you.

The staff are as eclectic as the decor but all have one thing in common they know how to deliver great service.

I never wanted for a thing during my stay and I was made to feel at home the whole time. I felt like one of the team by the end of my stay. I just wish I could have stayed more than one night. If you are visiting the area I really cannot recommend them higher!

• Stayed: May 2012
1  Thank Davs400
Reviewed May 20, 2012

I stayed here with my boyfriend over the weekend and I must say its one of the nicest hotels we've been to. Having never ventured to Bournemouth/boscombe way we werent entirely sure what to expect but it didn't matter as the hotel and bar area was so nice that we could have stayed there the whole time! We also went to their urban reef restaurant which was again just flawless.

The staff were great, we felt really welcome , the decor was spot on and there's just a lovely atmosphere to the whole place - we would definitely stay here again.

Oh and theyre telling the truth on their website - the small double room isn't that small!

Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 11, 2012

Great place, amusing staff, clean airy rooms. The food is amazing

Room Tip: The staff were so helpful, nothing too much trouble. It was so bads we are staying again for 3 nigh...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Linda W
Reviewed May 7, 2012

We managed to get a room for one night on a bank holiday weekend by ringing the same day. Got room number 11 for £99 including breakfast. The room was in the eves, so small, but it was all detailed on the website so we knew what we were getting. The room was lovely, bit warm but opened the window, expect in the summer it would be uncomfortable but there was a large fan provided. Our room was on the side of the terrace so a little bit of noise from the bar, but as it shut at 11 it was fine.
Had a drink and some nachos in the bar, and a lovely sleep in a very comfy bed. Lovely toiletries provided. Sound proofing to the next room wasn't brilliant, but all the guests seemed to be very considerate and quiet!
The breakfast was brilliant, eggs benedict is my favourite and it was very well done. The coffee was also excellent. The staff were fantastic, really friendly. Would love to go back.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 30, 2012

I have just returned from a weekend break from the Urban Beach Hotel with my daughter. having booked it based on the reviews on tripadvisor.
Where do I begin ? The staff are simply outstanding ! Polite, enthusiastic, friendly and helpful !
The bedroom (no7) was spotless and the whole hotel part felt more like staying in a manor house than a hotel. Bathroom modern and clean. Tea and coffee in the room and even handmade/homemade little soaps and body lotions for our use - a lovely touch.
Ate one night in the restaurant and food was well priced and excellent. It was however the breakfasts that i was so impressed with. Excellent coffees, good produce and lots of choice all served hot and with a lovely welcome smile !

I even managed to squeeze in afternoon coffee and cake (anna's homemade apricot turnover- served warm), simply delicious!

You might think the price a little expensive than say other hotel deals on laterooms.com for example but sometimes it is simply worth paying that little bit extra for outstanding food, quality and service. The success of this little hotel in my opinion is based quite simply on the excelllent staff, fantastic food and outstanding cleanliness and warm atmosphere thats exists from the minute you walk in ! Well done to them!

Room Tip: I noticed that a previous reviewer said that one room was above the bar so maybe if you need a very...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends