“Acceptable mid-range hotel”

Ranked #50 of 132 Bournemouth B&B and Inns
Northamptonshire England
“Acceptable mid-range hotel”
Reviewed June 11, 2013

I stayed for 2 nights at this hotel recently. It is basically a mid-range hotel that was adequate for my needs, and there were no major issues or problems. The rooms were all very clean (including dining room, lounge & bar), and although a couple of bits needed sprucing up, the overall feeling was that this is probably one of the better mid-range hotels in Bournemouth and I would recommend it to others.

We were given a choice of rooms and choose one at the back as I thought the main road outside would be too noisy. In the end I did not here any traffic noise. The room we had (room 15) was small and had a very small bathroom. It was not particularly comfortable as it was difficult to sit upright on the bed with the angled roof in the way but it was adequate. The only issue I had is that the door did not shut properly and you had to make sure it was pulled to very hard so that you heard it click shut. I came back on the second morning to find I could get in without using my key as the maid had not closed the door firmly enough.

The food at breakfast was okay (not superb but not bad either) but I would have been bored with it after several days. I must comment on the waitress service as this was excellent. Even though every table was occupied, she swiftly moved around making sure that everyone was served quickly and was quick to ask if we needed more toast etc, and cleared the tables very fast. She puts to shame many younger waitresses who would not be able to keep up with her.

There were a few minor irritations (see below) but nothing major to spoil our stay.
1) There are a couple of bars within 100 yards where people stand outside drinking, and it was a bit too loud late at night. This calmed down before midnight.
2) There was a Hen part staying on the Saturday night. As hen party’s go, they were not too bad but they did spend 20 minutes chatting in the corridor in the early hours of the morning.
3) The main noise we got was from the people next door, who got up at 06:30 and ran water for the next 35 minutes while moving about on squeaky floor boards.
4) There was plenty of car parking but every time I came back, once I parked up I was then asked to move.

Overall, a reasonable mid-range hotel with no major issues. The hotel is slightly dated (but then so am I) but was perfectly acceptable.

Room Tip: If you check in early, the owner gives you a choice of available rooms.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dudley-Diane

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Polish first
Reviewed May 25, 2013

If booking a room through a booking website (rather than through the owners directly), its worth calling ahead to ensure the your booking is received and they are expecting your stay.
Unfortunately we did not stay here, however from the outside it looks clean and the owners are friendly and helpful.

• Stayed May 2013
Oxford, England
Reviewed May 17, 2013

We were due to be in Bournemouth for an evening engagement and decided to stay over rather than endure a tedious late night journey home. We simply needed somewhere to rest our heads for the night, fairly central to allow easy access to our engagement but in a quiet enough location to allow us to sleep.
Kings Langley Hotel fitted the bill perfectly. In West Cliff Road, it's just on the edge of the "promenade" area and so within easy reach of the beach, the International Centre and the town centre. It is also in a largely residential zone and so free from late-night revellers making their way between venues.
Enough of the selection criteria, then. What we actually found was a modest, unassuming hotel with a friendly, welcoming receptionist who showed us to a clean comfortable room which was light and well-aired with very comfortable beds (a small double and an additional single). The bathroom was indeed a shower-room (as others have commented) but was perfectly serviceable and suited us well enough. Breakfast proved to be freshly cooked (no solid slabs of "scrambled" eggs to hack into here), and a request for hot milk to accompany the coffee was speedily and willingly fulfilled.
Every member of staff including the manager, John, were relaxed and genuinely friendly in their attitude. There were open smiles that reached people's eyes and indeed eye contact seemed to show a genuine interest in their guests without a hint of boredom or defensiveness..
As said, our needs for an overnight bolthole were modest but were happily exceeded in a hotel that is itself modest but is also unpretentious and unfussy. We were happy with our stay and would be happy to repeat it in similar circumstances - and to recommend it to others. I have given Kings Langley 5 stars not for luxury, but for doing what it does do very well indeed.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mmc_oxford
Bristol
Reviewed May 16, 2013

We stayed for the weekend for a convention, and the hotel is a perfect walk from the convention centre. The room was clean, and yes the bathroom was quite small, but no smaller than practical. Breakfast was lovely and cooked food would get to us very quickly (loved the scrambled eggs). I'll admit there was a very rowdy lot staying while we were, but they didn't interrupt our sleep as the place is remarkably well sound-proved between floors. John was very considerate and accommodating, and was very concerned to be sure that we weren't bothered by the other guests.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Bournemouth
Reviewed May 13, 2013

A group of us (average age 40) stayed at the Kings Langley this weekend and had an excellent stay. John and his staff couldn’t do enough for us from the moment we arrived. Yes the deco is ‘retro’ (adds to the experience I felt!) However the rooms were clean, bed very comfortable and a hot shower plus flat screen TV, great value for £38 per person. There was plenty of free parking for our cars something you often pay extra for in Bournemouth so a real plus. The location is literally 5 mins walk into the gardens/town so ideally located within the centre. Breakfast was just what you needed, full English and plenty of other options available, the waitress was also very friendly. Overall a great weekend and would definitely recommend/stay again. Thank you John!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank harmey101
Reviewed May 12, 2013

We really enjoyed our short stay ar the kings Langley hotel. It's very Cosy a d the staff and boss are so friendly and lovely. Omg the breakfast was lush. Very friendly waitress. The beds were the most comfortabl bed I have ever slept in. The mattress was lush. We will defo b goin up to bournmouth again and certainly stayin at the kings Langley. Ooh we loved the massive mirror we all shared in bedroom :)

• Stayed May 2013
2 Thank Amyamya
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed April 27, 2013

I stayed at the Kings Langley hotel in 5 nights in early April with my partner, while at a conference. I selected the Kings Langley based on Internet reviews and price, and wasn't disappointed.

While the rooms are a bit dated, they're very clean. Sure, the bathroom was small, but so is every other bathroom in England!!! For the amount we paid per night, I was impressed with what we got. I slept soundly. Breakfast was big and delicious, and the waitress was very friendly and kind. The owner, George, made sure we were comfortable, found us a power bar so we could use the kettle in-room, and waited with us for a cab. I felt like I could ask him anything I wanted to, and he'd have a friendly reply.

You can't beat the location. It was a 5 min walk to the Bournemouth International Centre and the Pier.

I'd recommend the Sunday roast dinner that's offered at the hotel. George cooks a lovely roast and my partner is still raving about the stilton cheese-broccoli soup!

Highly recommended to other budget travellers. I'd definitely stay again. Felt like a home away from home.

Room Tip: Ask for one with a fridge
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family