“Great location”

Ranked #27 of 132 Bournemouth B&B and Inns
Swindon, United Kingdom
“Great location”
Reviewed November 25, 2012

The hotel we'd originally booked back in June cancelled on us at 8.30pm the night before we were due to go to Bournemouth, so we booked the Brooklands at the last minute. I'm very glad that we did. The staff were very friendly, the hotel was spotless, the breakfast pleasant & the shower was hot. The parking might be a problem if you want to go out & about but as we intended to stay in Bournemouth for the weekend, it was fine. It's so close to the beach, town & BIC that you don't need your car. The room was fairly basic, but it was clean with a comfortable bed & nice shower. Perfect for a cheap weekend away.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Korean first
Whiteley, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 25, 2012

Stayed here so we could go to a concert at the BIC. It's very close - about a five minute walk and plenty of restaurants nearby, although the hotel was advertising lasagne and chips for £5 which is very very reasonable. We booked via Laterooms so got a great deal and for another £5, we got a cooked breakfast which was really lovely (been on many cruise ships and this cooked breakfast was equally as good if not better). The staff are friendly and show you to your room. There is a bar with TV etc and the siamese cat is lovely. Parking means that you might get blocked in but staff will move cars around no problem.

The room was fairly basic, with a great TV with a clear picture and the bathroom had been refurbished. The shower pump was noisy but we were warned - not too bothered but worried about other guests. Water pressure was low on the top floor so I suppose the pump was pumping a trickle of water hence the noise. But the shower was in fact powerful.

We slept fairly well, apart from some road noise and a few screaming girls walking by at night - let's face it, Bournemouth is a stag and hen do capital. Bed was comfy and clean. Overall, recommended for location and price.

Room Tip: I think this area of bournemouth is quite noisy due to stag and hen do's but we slept well up to...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank spencerallen
Exeter
Reviewed October 28, 2012

Have just came home from a two night stay. First thing we noticed was the parking, there was around 20 spaces on their forecourt, only concern was that if you blocked another car in or someone else blocks you in, they move the car for you, they do inform you before hand if they can, but if you are fond of your car and they cannot contact you, will you be ok that its moved?
We were fine with this but felt it should be mentioned.

The staff were very welcoming and showed us to our room, we had booked a small double and thats exactly what we got, it was a lot smaller than we'd hoped but was clean and warm with no signs of mould as what you'd may expect in an older building. There was also a kettle, tea, coffee, and towels supplied.

The toilet/shower cubicle however was a slight let down, the door to this was a sliding one as the room was too small for a swing door, this was quiet stiff to pull shut, the toilet was dirty, I did however ask for this to be cleaned, which was but unfortunately I'm guessing not done with toilet cleaner as it was still left dirty in some parts. The toilet however had a water fan built into the cistern which silenced it when re filling, I thought this was a great idea. The shower was alot to be desired, I am 5'9 tall and size 10 in clothes and I just about managed, If you are of a larger frame you may find this a struggle, also there where signs of mould ingrained in the old sealant which could easily be rectified with replacing it, they shower was alittle temperamental, it took a good while to get the temperature right, i.e.. slightest move to right hot slight move left cold.

The bed was basic but comfortable, only criticism that there was a constant knock/drip outside all night due to faulty guttering? this was in room 17.

When going down to breakfast we were greeted warmly, the dining area was bright and airy. The staff could not have been any friendlier, and the breakfast was spot on! I really cant say enough about their professionalism! It was amazing.

In conclusion to our experience, I feel that I would definitely consider going back to Brooklands but also feel that there are a number of areas which could do with improvements which let it down. ie: decor is very tired, carpets balding, faulty showers, jammed sliding doors etc.. If these things where rectified then maybe they would go up to a 4 star! which I personally think they deserve!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
West Wickham
Reviewed September 20, 2012

Just returned from a 2 night stay at Brooklands and we enjoyed our visit.
We wanted to book 2 rooms in Bournemouth for a short family break but could only confirm the dates at quite short notice and Bournemouth is busy in September.
Eventually contacted Brooklands and they had 2 rooms available (we wanted 1 twin and 1 double).
The location of the hotel is excellent within easy reach of the pier and the sea but also within walking distance of the shops, restaurants and bars in town.
Both rooms we had were quite small and a little basic but were clean, quiet and comfortable. My wife and I had the twin room and we slept well both nights. If we had been staying for longer we may have sought larger rooms but as we were only there 2 nights there was enough storage space for the relatively small amount of clothes we had brought with us. The shower room was well designed for the space available and the shower was quite powerful.
Breakfast both mornings was excellent with a very good selection of fruit juices, cereals and hot food; there was a minor delay with being served on the Saturday morning as our order had got mislaid but breakfast was very busy that morning. The waiter was very apologetic and these things do happen; it certainly didn't spoil our stay.
We paid £70 per night per room including breakfast. We thought this very reasonable value for the time of year.
Overall if you are looking for a small, quiet, well positioned hotel then Brooklands is a good venue based on our experience.

Room Tip: The hotel seemed to be on a quiet road ; we had rooms 27 and 28 at the back of the hotel and these w...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Chipping Norton, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 3, 2012

For work reasons, I recently had to stay in Bournemouth for 9 weeks between Monday and Friday and needed somewhere decent but not too expensive to stay. I highlighted on Brooklands as it seemed good value and I guessed that if I didn't like the place I could move somewhere else. Well, I didn't move which is about as big a recommendation as you can get.

From a business traveller point of view, this was good. A pleasant hotel with friendly staff led by Jacqui, an excellent breakfast served every day. When I need something they did their best to accommodate and most evenings they were able to rustle up some food even though in theory they were only doing bed and breakfast. By about the second week in, they knew me and little things like my tea arriving at breakfast almost before I did made me feel much more at home.

There are plenty of places to eat nearby and you can walk along the sea front which is not far away. Personally all I really wanted to do was get back from work and relax.

Of course, not everything went right throughout the nine weeks. In fact, staying there for so long made me realise a) just how much the whole team need to work together to meet all the guests' needs and b) how unreasonable some guests can be. One group decided to hold a party in their room at 11.00 pm but I'm pleased to say they were dealt with!

My experience tended to vary depending upon which room I was in - the main rooms I was in were quite large and pleasant but one of them had a poor Wi-FI connection. Conversely, the smallest room had the best Wi-Fi!

There are of course things that just have to be endured - the car park is small and therefore you have to be understanding about having to move your car to let someone else in or out. some rooms are too small for dressing tables or built in wardrobes but if anything is particularly important to you, there's no substitute for asking when you book!

This is never going to be a 4 star hotel and to me that just shows what is wrong with the star rating system. I had a pleasant stay among friendly people at a reasonable price - that's worth 4 stars in my book any day.

Room Tip: Room 20 was a nice quiet room and the best balance between comfort and Wi-Fi!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Geoffrey C
cardiff
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Stayed at this hotel in august for the weekend.No problems with the hotel at all we stay in a small double room my wife and I found it comfortable and the breakfast was lovely.the staff was very friendly and could not do enough for you,made you feel very special.I have no problems coming here again and we will very soon.And a special thank you to susana made us feel like family.all the staff are a credit to the hotel......fab.
If you are going to visit bouremouth this hotel is the best....

Room Tip: all rooms are fine.and no problems with the small rooms.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 4, 2012

stayed here back in june...hotel not too bad but the room was so small...there was also no dressing table so doing hair makeup etc. proved difficult when theres 2 of you....the breakfast was lovely...couldn't fault it at all...the service was very good...great location and you could use the marriott spa facilities at certain times of the year for 2.00 pound for 2 hours which was lovely...overall a very friendly B&B...

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family