“Good budget priced hotel in a brilliant location”

TravelRest Hotel Bournemouth
Ranked #49 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Reviewed February 20, 2013

My son and his children live in Bournemouth so my husband and I go to Bournemouth 5 or 6 times a year. Over the years I have stayed at most of the hotels around the area from the 4 star hotels to the cheap boarding houses but over the past year we have decided that the Kiwi is the best value for money.

We don't spend a lot of time in our room so the Kiwi's rooms are adequate for our needs. When we were last there in January we were upgraded to a room on the corner of the building with a balcony which was great - although I would agree with a previous reviewer that I too had the same issue with the radiator being too close to the toilet!! It was a bit dated but fairly comfortable - a better pillow would be good... We have also stayed in their refurbished rooms which were very nice with a clean and simple colour scheme and new, modern touches where possible. Another plus point is the lovely breakfast the Kiwi serve for a realistic cost.

As others have also said, the building is currently being refurbished but when we were there in January we both felt it was being handled very well and we didn't feel inconvenienced at all.

West Cliff is our preferred location when we are in Bournemouth as its a short walk to all the entertainment, bars, the town and the seafront so in summary I would recommend the hotel as a cheap and clean place to stay.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed February 19, 2013

We have been coming to this hotel for years for a reunion with friends, it has always been terrific, good value and wonderful food. This year however, quite the opposite!! The hotel has new owners and they have been refurbishing,and believe that when finished will look really good.
The new owners are trying to save money by getting rid of their chef and trying to do the catering themselves with disasterous results!!! Needless to say we won't be staying again!!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 16, 2013

Been coming here for 6 years, previously fantastic. Good value for money and courteous staff.
Currently undergoing a change of management / style and I'm sorry to say its awful !
I'm at dinner now and have just witnessed almost every table return their dishes, the majority cold and certainly not as described on the menu. The waiting staff appear oblivious to this, largely Eastern European, and all untrained.
The Hotel bar is I'll equipped to deal with large numbers, I'm currently drinking canned lager, at £2.50 a can!
Sorry to say I won't be back. They've known we were coming since April, by we I mean a party of 45,they've done nothing to prepare for it or to warn us of their situation.
Ideal location for a Fawlty weekend, not for a hard earned break!

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank 507,196
Reviewed February 15, 2013

We have just returned from 3 nights at the Kiwi Hotel from start to finish this was an enjoyable experience. The man who took the booking was very pleasant, helpful and explained that the hotel was undergoing a refurbishment which did not impact on our stay at all. Our room although dated (which we had been informed at the time of our booking) was spacious with a sea view and exceeded our expectations. There was always plenty of hot water, a generous shower pressure and central heating at certain times of the day to say it was February we were never cold in the hotel. The bedding was crisp, clean & white and the beds were good quality 'Myers'. The bedroom was tidied and tea/coffee etc. was replenished daily. The hotel is in an ideal location close to the sea front and pier. I would certainly stay here again and wish all at The Kiwi the very best with the refurbishment.

Room Tip: Room 38 is a very large family room on the first floor with a sea view. This room has only a shower...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 14, 2013

We stayed for one night and most of the hotel was shut being renovated. We had a superior room which was small and clean but very dated. The room was warm even though it was a very cold night. The only problem we had was with the bed which was very uncomfortable and we did not sleep very well. All the staff we encountered were pleasant and helpful. We got a really cheap deal and for the price we paid it was a bargain. We probably wouldn't stay there again just because of the mattress. The hotel is changing name on the 1st April but I do not know what the new name will be.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dunc62
Reviewed February 12, 2013

We have not actually stayed at the hotel yet - we are booked in for a couple of nights in August. However, I just had to write and say how impressed I was with the man who answered the call to take m booking last week. He was polite, friendly, helpful and well informed. You do hope for all these things from someone working in the service industry, but rarely does it happen. I hope the stay lives up to that level of service!

Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 10, 2013

The hotel was a cheap price and my friend & I were staying in bournemouth for a night out for a concert we saw. The hotel staff were polite but not very organised. The room itself wasnt horrifying but was very very outdates and feel it needs to be modernised really. I have never seen a worse bathroom however! I couldnt even bring myself to shower in it, the toilet roll was given to you out of a dispencer like a public toilet, the shower looked quite worn and seemed maybe dirty, the soap had been used already which was extremely off putting. Not a bad hotel at all and good value for money however I wouldnt go out of my way to stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends