“Fantastic, fantastic, fantastic”

Ranked #25 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Worthing, United Kingdom
“Fantastic, fantastic, fantastic”
Reviewed February 22, 2011

Hi, Just wanted to say that myself with a friend stayed at The East Cliff Hotel, Bournemouth, on the 18th February for one night and we were thrilled with everything. We thought it was a lovely hotel with very helpful and pleasant staff. The room was extremely comfortable and very, very clean. Our breakfast the next morning was very good too. The tablewear was crisp and clean and the breakfast was delicious with a very good choice, lovely, lovely staff and the restaurant was light and airy, a joy. It was an added bonus that we had a sea view and that Bournemouth town and theatres were a meer 10 minutes away. The terrain is a hit hilly hut if you don't mind a mini work out every time you go into town this hotel is in an excellent location with the beach virtually on your doorstep. We will be back.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank lorendenmead

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (286)
  • Polish first
West Sussex
Reviewed February 15, 2011

My job took me to the East Cliff for 5 days over the Valentine weekend and I thoroughly enjoyed my stay. I was lucky to be able to bring my wife which improved the weekend markedly!
Overall the Hotel was comfortable and friendly with the only issue being our original room allocation. Room 1012 is above the Dining room; adjacent to the lobby and on a major thoroughfare to all the other rooms so I asked if I could move as I had a very early start one morning. The lady at reception was friendly, courteous and fantastic as we were given a far better room (thank you). The bar staff although not present permanently were always helpful and attentive. The room service was good; household staff were unobtrusive and the general demeanour of all the staff was great, Even the night porter was chatty. It really felt like I was stay in my own home!
The food we ate at the Hotel was also good quality, the burger on the bar menu was gorgeous. If I had some feedback it would be to have proper Ale on tap at the bar and have double beds in the room rather than twins joined together.
Overall, a lovely stay in a friendly well run hotel were the manager runs a customer oriented staff. Thank you guys for a lovely time in Bournemouth.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank corky617
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 31, 2011

This hotel was recommended by a family member who stays every year. My stay was excellent from the very start. During booking in I was personally greeted by the general manager Paul Clarke who wished me a pleasant stay and took the time to give me directions to various places I needed to visit during the day. Despite arriving 3 hours hours before check in time , a quick call to housekeeping by Justyna on the reception desk ensured I was in my room almost immediately. The room itself was large, spotlessly clean and beautifully presented with a magnificent view right out across the sea. The buffet style breakfast was a excellent with a great selection . It was a real pleasure to have a cooked breakfast which was not dripping in fat and grease with the sausages and fried bread particulalrly good. During my stay every contact I had with a member of staff was greeted with a smile and the general feeling I had was that nothing was too much trouble. I would highly recommend this hotel and will definately be returning. I have stayed in many similar priced hotels around the world and this is right up there with the best of them with the personal attention and helpfulness of the staff an added bonus. All in all, a quality hotel, excellent value for money and made to feel very welcome.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
MenziesECC, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Bournemouth East Cliff, responded to this review, February 5, 2011
Dear Guest,

My sincere thanks for taking the time to complete your feedback on tripadvisor, The team and I were delighted that you had a five star experience and that are genuine hospitality was appreciated.
The room you were refering to was a double sea facing room with balcony, the views are fantastic.
We all look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

once again many thanks for the feedback

Generel Manager
hampshire
Reviewed January 30, 2011

We stayed at this hotel for one night on a fantastic deal. The staff were very good, friendly, nothing too much trouble. Very good meal in the resturant,waiting staff very efficient. We enjoyed breakfeast,good choice. Sat outside on terrace reading sunday papers immediately staff came out with cushion for the chairs. Room good size, very clean. We found the room fairly cold so contacted reception who immediately brought up another heater. This hotel is situated well close to shops, beach walks something for everyone. would definately recommend this hotel.

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to complete feedback on your recent stay, The team and I were delighted to read your comments.As you rightly say we are only ten minutes from the town centre on the quieter side of bournemouh, which makes a difference at the weekends.If you would like to be kept up to date with offers do register on our menzies hotel website.

We all look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Yours Sincerely

Reviewed January 30, 2011

I came down to Bournemouth with my partner for his birthday. We were welcomed to the hotel by Jo who was very friendly & advised us that we had been upgraded check in was very easy & she made sure we had everything we needed. The room was absolutely lovely & very well maintained, housekeeping do a very good job of making it look nice. Afternoon tea was served by tom who was a very nice young
man & served very quickly. Dinner was absolutely lovely, my compliments to the chef - restaurant staff were all very nice & always ready to help when needed. Throughout our stay we were always acknowledged by staff & made to feel very welcome. Unfortunately did not get chance to use the leisure facilities but hopefully next time. The only thing i will say is that breakfast was a bit cold but was still nice. Will definetely be going back again soon & hope to see some of the same faces next time as it was nice to be made to feel so welcome. Such a change to other hotels we have stayed in!

• Stayed January 2011
MenziesECC, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Bournemouth East Cliff, responded to this review, February 6, 2011
Dear Guest,

My sincere thanks for taking time to put your feedback onto tripadvisor.The team and I were delighted to read that you had a great experience at the East Cliff Court, especially Jo who looked after you at reception.

We all look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Yours Sincerely

Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 26, 2011

Service standards were sporadic throughout our visit - starting with first arrival at reception, when I stated my name - the very first words uttered after much keyboard tapping were not "Good Evening Sir" but "OK that will be £259 and so many pence..!.
I thought my card had been charged when I made booking (on Menzies own website). But apparently not according to chap on reception. Ok but please make it clear online that payment is not taken till checkin or at least get staff to explain clearly and politely. Definitely don't just make me feel about an inch tall by saying no its definitely not been paid.
At other times some staff made a point of saying good morning to us as we passed in the corridors - which was nice...but then others in more prominent public areas such as bar and reception they just looked down their nose at you and left you waiting for attention..... don't forget at 4 star rates we are most certainly paying your wages.....

Breakfast on first morning - waitress was applying lipsalve behind the counter as we arrived - then disappeared into kitchen. When she eventually surfaced left us with cold toast, nearly cold coffee and no sign of a cooked breakfast order being taken till we asked - then when that arrived - again it was almost cold.

Evening meal service from the restaurant manager was good. Quality of food served from the fixed price menu was quite good - but not the same high standard as we had been used to - this was our 4th visit to East Cliff over past three years.
Second morning breakfast was much better thankfully - or the manager was going to know about it.
Our room was very comfortable, clean and quiet - hotel was nearly empty...but again no digital tv at 4 star ?

Back Bar lighting was switched off - and hence it had no atmosphere and we couldn't see what drinks they had either.
Would we visit again - will look elsewhere first.....

1 Thank For_One_Night_Only
MenziesECC, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Bournemouth East Cliff, responded to this review, February 7, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the feedback regarding your recent stay, the team and I were very disappointed to read your feedback, which was the lowest rating we have had for a very long time. I was most disappointed for the team to be rated one star for service which as hotel manager had I had the same level of service, I would of been speaking to the Duty manager, which I have spoke to the team about and they do not recollect anyone complaining during the dates you have indicated that you stayed.

When you book a room on the Menzies website it clearly states if booking by advanced purchase that you will pay in full prior to arrival, if you book on the other rates it clearly states credit card guarantee. Whichever booking you choose to make you are requested as part of the booking process to tick a box to confirm you accept the booking conditions. I am sorry that you felt this was not clear enough.

As a team we are very aware that every guest that uses the East Cliff Court hotel be it for a wedding reception, cup of coffee with friends, funeral or for a holiday, pays our wages.
I have discussed your feedback with the team regarding your breakfast and dinner experience and re training has been completed.

I am sorry that you feel your experience of the East Cliff Court was not reflective of the twenty other reviews we have had posted on trip advisor in the last six months, or the many regular guests who continue to enjoy their stays with us, which is down to the same management team at the hotel that I have had for over two years, all of whom are passionate and committed to meeting our guests expectations.

If you would like to discuss your comments further, please do not hesitate to contact me personally on 01202 554545, or by email paul.clarke@menzieshotels.co.uk.

Many thanks for taking the time to complete the feedback,
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 24, 2011

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for 1 night after finding a fantastic offer that included cream tea on arrival, 3 course dinner and bed & breakfast for £98 for 2 people. On arrival (we were early) our room wasn't ready so we got out cream tea ordered up in the lounge area. The barman was the only person serving drinks and he seemed to be taking food orders and making the food as well! So some people had to wait a few minutes to order their drinks/food whilst he was getting our cream tea!
Our room was nice. Nothing majorly special, but clean and standard for a double room. Had plenty of room to move around. If I was to be picky the shower was useless! It was just a dribble from the shower head.
We went to the adjacent (sister) hotel, The Carlton Menzies, for some Beauty Salon treatments and relaxed in the jacuzzi and sauna. The Beauty Salon was small but very good with some lovely staff.
The best thing about our stay was probably the dinner in the hotel. I wasn't sure what to expect but we were very pleasantly amazed. We ordered Steak each but were then told that they had run out and there was only one left. After the waitress saw my husband's disappointed face she offered to go back and check whether they could get another steak from the Carlton hotel next door. Whilst I didn't mind swapping mine for something else, she insisted on checking. She then returned a few minutes later to confirm that they have secured another steak! And the steak was amazing...cooked to perfection. Probably one of the best we've ever had.
Breakfast the next morning was fresh and hot...even on the cooked breakfast buffet.
Overall, the hotel was good and the staff in both of the Menzies hotels were extremely helpful and pleasant, and seemed to want to go the extra mile.
I would definitely recommend this hotel, and will be keeping my eyes out for some more offers!