“Good old English seaside hotel”

Hallmark Hotel Bournemouth East Cliff
Ranked #23 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Reviewed May 2, 2014

Very nice old fashioned English beach hotel. The sea facing Rooms were lovely. The dining room was very nice where we had dinner accompanied by the music of a brass band ( a bit loud, but good!) a recommended stay!

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,268)

Reviewed May 1, 2014

My husband & I stayed here 4 nights over Easter . The staff were polite & helpful on arrival & we were checked in quickly. The hotel was very busy but even though there were two very large parties meal times were dealt with quickly & efficiently. The breakfast buffet was of a good standard with plenty of variety.
Our room was on the 3rd floor,was spotless,nice large bathroom & a good range of tea/coffee etc.Lovely thick towels,which were replaced daily.We weren't lucky enough to get a sea view which was the only thing that could have improved our stay.
We were offered use of the indoor pool & health facilities at the Menzies Carlton which is just next door. We didn't use them during our stay,so can't comment on this. Hotel has lovely balcony looking onto the outdoor pool & sea below.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PaulanerDewsbury
Reviewed April 18, 2014

Two weeks ago we stayed at this hotel for 3 nights. My wife and I were just two of a party of approx. fifty guests who had travelled down from North London to participate in a Charity Bridge Break. We were very impressed from the moment we arrived, because, despite a lot of our party arriving at the same time, the check in procedure was quick and done with a smile.
We found the food in the hotel much to our taste, with a good choice both at breakfast and dinner. We had a spacious double room with a wonderful sea view and a small balcony. We were aware that one or two members of our party had problems with their showers and were moved to new rooms. We would like to report that our shower was excellent.
All of the staff were very friendly and we were very impressed by the way a blind man, not in our party, was looked after by the staff in the bar one evening. Whenever he wanted to go anywhere, either to the wash room or outside for a smoke, a member of bar staff was quick to escort him.
My wife and I like walking, so we found the position of the Hotel ideal. We were able to walk for some miles each way along the promenade, but one warning, however, it is a long way down to the beach and the Cliff Lifts were not working during the time we were there. We believe they start from the Easter period onwards. The walk into the centre of Bournemouth took about 10 minutes. There is a Bus Stop close by where it is possible to get a bus to places like Swanage and Sandbanks.
One tip, take your Bus Pass if you are old enough to have one.

Room Tip: Worth having a sea view room
2  Thank Don R
Reviewed April 16, 2014

Not normally one for hotel reviews. But on the 11th and 12th I stayed in 2 different hotels, the East Cliff and the Royal Bath. One was great! One was not...

On Friday the 11th I required a hotel last minute and came across the East Cliff Menzies. The first thing that struck me was the friendly helpful reception staff. Having had a late Thursday night and a long commute to Bournemouth it was nice to be greeted by friendly and helpful staff rather than the souless receptions you can get at a Travel Inn. Despite my mood being grumpy, and having numerous questions about the hotel (Additional night, wifi, bar times, car parking etc) - I was looked after very well by a chap called Alexander. Alexander dealt with the check in quickly, answered all my questions and offered lots of help. (This really stood out compared to the reception at the Royal Bath the next night which was cold).
I was given room 1109 - and was very impressed for the rate paid (£80) - it was a good size room, with a small lounge area. Bed was very comfortable and the bathroom was of a good standard. Room had all the features required.... iron, lots of channels etc.
The only negative was a poor view from the window but as a last minute guest, can't be too fussed about this.

I hoped to stay a 2nd night but the hotel was booked - I relocated to the Royal Bath which cost more. However the service was poor, the room was cold at night, the wifi didn't work on my Android phone and the bathroom looked like something of Prisoner Cell Block H.

I'm back in Bournemouth in early May and know what hotel I'll be choosing. (If they have rooms!)

Room Tip: If you want a spacious comfy room - 1109 did the trick, but probably better rooms with a view. Room...
4  Thank David W
Reviewed April 10, 2014

We enjoyed another three-night bridge break at the hotel last week. As always, the staff were friendly and helpful, the rooms were nice and well-supplied and the facilities in general were comfortable and spacious. It is a great location for walking along the cliff, into the shopping area or to catch a bus along the coast. The breakfasts and dinners were very good, even catering for vegetarians like me. My only criticism, which has been an issue on all three visits and which I discovered is shared by many other visitors, is that it is extremely difficult to turn off the shower. Once wet, the round tap is too slippery to grip and it's a daily struggle to stop the water. Silly but very frustrating!

Room Tip: 1016 and 1017 are on the side but have bay windows with sea views.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
5  Thank Carolpat48
Reviewed April 9, 2014

Have just completed my 4th 3 night break at the East Cliff. This was the best yet, the menu offers a great selection inc. vegetarian. The rooms are spacious and bright but I do recommend the upgrade to seaview.The thing that always seems to set this hotel apart is the attitude of the staff
from the manager down they are all eager to help and will do their best to make your stay a pleasant one.This was my 4th group break and I'm already planning a fifth! All the facilities of the Carlton,next door, are at your disposal and car parking is free which is quite rare in B'mouth.

Room Tip: go for a sea view and try to get one with a balcony
1  Thank Malcolm F
Reviewed April 9, 2014

Stayed one night whilst visiting a friend who lives in Bournemouth. Stayed in room 2209 at the rear of the hotel, made up as a twin.

Good bits .....Room large, warm and spotless, posh tea bags, nice big bathroom, good shower and lovely big towels. Nice sofa area, good TV. Bowl of sweets a nice touch. Staff pleasant. Great location

Bad bits .......outside of windows really dirty ..... Admittedly weather was foul but had to open window to see if it was raining or not!! Rear carpark packed and difficult to manoeuvre into and out of spaces.

Booked room only as thought breakfast option rather expensive so can't comment on food. Didn't use leisure facilities so can't comment.

Overall enjoyed our stay and would recommend to others

2  Thank sandra123