“Excellent evening function”

Ranked #26 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Bournemouth
“Excellent evening function”
Reviewed December 4, 2012

Whilst I have not stayed at the hotel, we used it for our annual cricket club presentation night - attended by over 80.
This was the best function of its type that I have been to for a number of years - and by a fair margin. The organisation and venue were both excellent, the staff were very pleasant and helpful and the food was first class.
All in all a very enjoyable evening

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (295)
  • Polish first
Scotland, UK
Reviewed December 2, 2012

I stayed at the Menzies East Cliff Hotel on Nov 2012 as a business traveller so the things I appreciate are 1) efficiency in check in 2) comfy beds and

PROS
- 10 minute walk to Bournemouth Uni/town centre and 5 minute walk to beach
- Located right on the cliff with fantastic views of the bay; I could watch the full moon rise over the water with my window open breathing the sea air - amazing after a stressful day atr the office!
- Friendly and attentive staff; could not have done more to make me feel comfortable and welcome from the front desk staff, to the maids and restaurant staff.
- Refreshing decor; most business hotels I stay in are pretty dark but this hotel was nice and light.
- It was little things such as having a good hair dryer, nice bathrobes, a heated towel rack and a plug by the mirror (I've been in London hotels where there was only one plug and that was behind the bed!)
- The breakfast was good; a lot of choice whether you wanted an english, continental or hot breakfast etc with attentive staff. Room service is overpriced as it is everywhere but I could tell the stuff served had been made fresh.

CONS
- The plumbing in my room wasnt great; it took half an hour to fill a bath as there just wasnt enough pressure behind the water. Part of the tap had also come away from a wall. Obviously not all rooms would be like this.

GENERAL AREA COMMENTS (i.e. not hotel specific)
- Beware of the Bmouth taxi drivers; unlike your friendly Glaswegian bunch these guys are annoyed if you ask them to go a short distance. I arrived at B 'mouth station at 10am after a very early morning flight with heavy luggage, I didnt know the area whatsoever, it was bucketing with rain and I didnt feel like arriving even later at the office soaked to the skin so I hailed a cab. Good reasons to, no? He moaned where I was going was too short distance, drove me there tutting and complaining, hauled my luggage at me and refused a tip. And it was extortionate. The B'mouth ladies I met said they werent suprised about how I was treated its the norm. Its a decent walk from the train station to the Menzies hotel though so if you arent driving you'll either have to walk or call one of these grumpy idiots.

- The hotel is on the cliff with lots of other hotels and apartments - its a very residential area so there's not many restaurants or pubs around. It's a good 10-15minute walk into the town centre and all I could find was a KFC, a Dominoes Pizza and a Subway . . . research where you can go for dinner if you're staying here

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank CaraAnn3
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 25, 2012 via mobile

We stayed on a Saturday eventing at the last minute in order to visit family. We called to book from the car and were given excellent service from the front desk, we were offered a reduced room rate with breakfast.
Upon arrival there was plenty of parking available and check in was quick and easy. Our room was spacious and had obviously been recently modernised, the bathroom was quite small.
I would recommend this hotel - the bar staff were very efficient and the reception staff very helpful, breakfast was also very good. There are a few small changes that could be made in order for it to get a rating of five from me, we could hear the music from the restaurant in our room when we arrived and again when breakfast started in the morning, the flush on the toilet cistern was not working properly and I was not strong enough to turn off the shower - i'm not weak! Overall a good stay, would stay again but would request a different room for a bit more peace!

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 20, 2012

I came down to bournemouth for graduation in early November and had stayed at this hotel before, mainly for its views. Check in was easy and quick, and was in my room within minutes. Last time I stayed I had a beatiful view of the sea, in a brilliant room, unfortunately the hotel was busy but I was put in the Grove Suite, wow. The room was huge, and even better, all of the rooms had recently been refurbished and looked very smart and luxurious, also to mention one of the comfiest beds I have ever slept in. Had breakfast as well which was delicious. Huge variety of food and the staff were quick and friendly if you had an extra request. Used the bar during the day a couple of times which reminded me of the view, this was novemeber and it was beatiful so I'm only guessing what it would be like in the summer. Room service on the second night was great, had a chicken burger which went down a treat.
All in all was a great stay, the refurbed room made it extra special and with its ideal location (5 mins walk to the town) and the view made me confident that I would stay again, although I'll probably nip down in the summer so I can use the pool. Thanks to all the staff who made it so relaxing!

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank citybreakstraveller
Worthing
Reviewed November 19, 2012

In all of my 40 years of travelling for business and pleasure, this is without doubt the worst hotel that I have stayed in.

Superficially the inside of the hotel looks nice, but the refurbishment has been very cheaply done and there appears to be no sound proofing whatsoever.

When you are in your room you can hear exactly what is happening in the rooms on both sides, whats happening above and below, as well as people walking in the corridor.

When I first entered my room I could hear piped music. It was coming up through the floor from the restaurant below. Next morning I could see that the speakers for the piped music were up against the ceiling in the restaurant which is why the music could be heard in my room.

That evening somebody had a wedding reception in the restaurant. The music and the “MC” were both very loud and it went on from 8pm until past 1am the following morning. It was impossible to sleep.

The best part of my visit was seeing the East Cliff hotel in my rear view mirror as I drove away. Needless to stay I wont be going back.

Room Tip: Dont accept any room on the mezanine floor - there is no lift to them and you will have to carry you...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank Ostrich999
MenziesECC, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Bournemouth East Cliff, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to place a review on trip adviser which I have to say the team and I are very disappointed to receive, given that we have no record of you complaining during your stay to enable us to deal with.The review in my opinion was wrote based on the fact you had a terrible sleep as you state which ruined your weekend. I have emailed you directly requesting for you to call me so that we can discuss your points as of 29th November I have not spoken to you. Referring to your comments we have refurbished 38 rooms and to date feedback has been very positive with many guests commenting about them on this forum , on the particular night you stayed there was a Christmas party night that finished at 1AM in hindsight we should of allocated a better room for you, please accept my apologies for this. I genuinely hope that you will consider returning, you do have my contact details from my email that I have sent you so please do call so I can discuss some options with you.
Anglesey, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 14, 2012

We stayed at the East Cliff for 3 nights 27th October 2012 with our elderly parents, a party of four.
Found the hotel to be modern, very clean with very helpful and friendly staff.
We had beautiful rooms at the front overlooking the sea, which were tastefully decorated and were serviced daily to a high standard during our stay.
We dined twice at the hotel restaurant and found the meals very reasonably priced for the excellent quality and choice we received.
Duty manager for that particular weekend, namely David, went out of his way to ensure that our stay at the hotel was most enjoyable.
As our daughter is at Bournemouth University for a further three years, we look forward to visiting the East Cliff again. E.Roberts and family, Anglesey, North Wales.

Room Tip: Front sea view with balcony. Lovely!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Los Gatos, California
Reviewed November 10, 2012

I've been to Bournemouth several times and I'm still searching for a great hotel. The Menzies is not that hotel, but it has many good points that made my stay enjoyable.

My room was on the second floor facing the ocean. The room was quite large, with a small desk, and couch. The view of the ocean from the bay windows was wonderful. The room also had a small porch, but the weather was rainy and cool, so I didn't make much use of it except on the day the Olympic torchbearer and parade came by! (It was a surprise to me.)

I was there for pleasure but also had to get some work done. The Internet connection proved to be quite adequate although it is set up to drop every two hours and requires a login to get back on. A charming feature of most British hotels is the tea service in the room. The Menzies setup included coffee, tea, hot chocolate, and cookies which were refreshed each day.

The room was very clean, although the furnishings and rug were a bit worn. The cleaning staff was some of the best and most efficient I've seen. However, the bar and restaurant staff were some of the most inefficient I've seen.

I was reminded of Fawlty Towers one day as I stood waiting to order lunch at the bar only to be passed over by the server when three local business men in expensive-looking suits showed up. The server ignored me and jumped to attend to them. I ended up walking to another hotel for lunch. This wasn't an isolated incident. The bar staff routinely were either nowhere to be found or if there, didn't seem to want to work.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family