MaeMar Hotel
Montague Hotel(Bournemouth)
The Savoy Hotel(Bournemouth)
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Breakfast was great & good tea/coffee facility in rooms. Staff were polite and extremely helpful, with smiles which made us feel welcome. Good central location. room was tidy and nice .With many young people in the hotel, we expected it to be noisy at night but it wasn't. Overall it was a great experience. We would book at the hotel again. Fairly clean & good service overall.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank Sam1384
Reviewed November 11, 2012

On arrival the receptionist was pleasant, although the room was not ready. Having read that the hotel had 'recently' been refurbished, according to the advertising, I was suprised to see that the decor was awful, tired and shabby. The room was very small, even for a single, but was a long way from being clean. The bed had one sheet and what looked like an old army blanket on top. The bathroom, YUKK, had a toilet brush in the corner with the holder full of 'toilet juice' and hairs around the toilet seat ! What was even worse, in a way, was that it was impossible to lock the door from the outside, I even got one of the staff to try but he couldn't either. So when I went out I had to lock all my luggage etc in my car !
On returning at night there was a loud party in progress directly below my room so I complained to the surly, miserable night porter, who, reluctantly, told the occupants that there had been complaints from other guests about the noise, they apologised and carried on regardless.
The breakfast was less than basic, indeed, if like me you don't eat fried meat, there was only Rice Krispies or Corn Flakes. I was not offered any tea or coffee so I just had orange juice. Needless to say, I didn't bother the second morning, I had left before 7.30 am.
I understand that the hotel is 'Budget' but that is no excuse fot the appalling standards. I paid £45.00 for two nights, I would not stay there again if they paid me £45.00, I would rather sleep in my car. DO NOT STAY AT THIS DUMP. This is the WORST hotel I have ever stayed in in my life. The owners should be thoroughly ashamed and embarrassed.

Room Tip: To choose a good room - stay at another hotel, sleep on the beach, anything, but don't waste your money by staying here.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 28, 2012

We stayed at the Maemar in 2010 and going to Bournemouth again this year decided to book again. We arrived on Friday 26th October, the hotel was lovely and clean, the Receptionist was very helpful too us, allowing us into one of the booked rooms even though we were early. Our rooms were very clean and tidy, ensuite bathrooms were spotless. Breakfast on the Saturday morning was self service, but very nice. One problem was that the heater in one room didnt work, but this was sorted out straight away and a portable heater brought to the room.
Beds were comfortable and clean.
We found the whole weekend to be very good, its not the Ritz but then its not Ritz prices, it is a great hotel to stay in to use as a base for shopping, the beach or going into town to party

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
MaemarBournemouth, Manager at MaeMar Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2012

Thank you for your kind review, we are sorry you had a problem with the heating, we have sorted this problem out now. we are always pleased to help. We hope to see you again. Glad you had a good weekend

Reviewed October 28, 2012

Stayed at the Maemar Hotel, 27/10/2012, as we were attending a gig at the BIC Bournemouth. Despite it saying the hotel has been refurbished in advertising, it is pretty down at heel which could be generally applied to Bournemouth itself. First impressions were a crowd of ‘geezers’ sitting outside on the steps drinking alcohol. When we booked in the lady on reception informed us that the boiler was in the process of being fixed. There was no heating or hot water the following morning so I guess they failed to fix it. At breakfast which was only served between 08.30 and 09.30 hours the staff seemed to be barely able to cope with the number of guests. The breakfast is self-service and when the staff did eventually replenish the supplies the food was acceptable. The room cleanliness was reasonable. There was some considerable noise from other guests with a guest banging on a bedroom door and shouting for about an hour to be let in. This was Saturday night in Bournemouth however and most people can't hold there drink, so not completely the Hotel's fault. In summary I would put the standard a notch below Travelodge or Premier Inn, but the room was only £50.00 with a breakfast included..

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank philip w
Reviewed October 23, 2012

I still booked after reading reviews here.... I will listen in future!

Firstly rooms are clearly advertised as WiFi throughout, yet i got a room with no WiFi at all, Thankfully staff swapped rooms for me and i then had a room where wifi did indeed work, but its unacceptable to advertise something that doesn't exist and a huge inconvenience to have to swap rooms after a guest had unpacked etc.

Secondly, i know your hotel doesn't provide parking and yes they state that but maybe it really should mention to booking guests that parking is beyond difficult to be almost impossible near the hotel! I spent 45min driving around and around in circles to try to park and ended up 10min walk away, now as a business trip the car had expensive equipment in the boot and this just isn't good at all, be clearer in your comments on parking.

Thirdly and by far most importantly, you WILL NOT be able to sleep whatsoever? The hotel seemed to be full of drunk loud-mouthed yobs (for want of a better word) in town purely to party and get lashed up. From about 9-10pm i couldn't even hear the rooms TV on full volume,due to the noise from slamming doors, shouting and singing and foul language guests that seem to be your clientele. And from 2am-5am it got far far worse, there was a constant flurry of loud drunken singing up and down the corridor, people seemingly banging into doors and walls (fighting in corridor?), lots of shouting constantly and foul language.

I felt very intimidated and somewhat scared in my room, else i would have gone and complained at reception but frankly i didn't want to be confronted by these 'thugs' by leaving my room! It got so bad i decided to brave checking out at 5.30am and slept in my car for a few hours (at least i got to sleep, albeit cold and uncomfortable). Even when i did leave the hotel i was confronted by a bunch of drunks on the front steps who actually said to me "hahaha looks hes had enough of the party hahahah".!

I cant recommend enough to stay away from this place if you want an actual 'hotel' experience, sure if you just want a room so you and your mates want to get lashed, maybe it is for you..

Avoid at all costs is the best advise as someone said "dont do it"...!

Room Tip: For a good room, pick another hotel..!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business