“Pretty decent hotel, didn't encounter any of the issues others mentioned!”
Review of The Orchid Hotel

The Orchid Hotel
Ranked #4 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Portsmouth, England, United Kingdom
“Pretty decent hotel, didn't encounter any of the issues others mentioned!”
Reviewed March 27, 2013

My girlfriend booked this hotel for a night for us, to crash after seeing Biffy Clyro at the BIC.
After seeing some of the negative reviews on here we were a little apprehensive about the hotel but as I said in the title, we had no problems at all.
It was £49 for the night (on a Tuesday) and for that price, it was fantastic value.
The room (No 116) was huge, approx 12ft by 10ft (12ft into the bay window) and had a decent sized en-suite bathroom.
The room was spotless, decorated well with some funky furniture that tied in to the theme of the hotel in general. There were tea/coffee making facilities and a decent TV, the only issue I had was the two single beds pushed together, which isn't a bad thing necessarily, just that a mattress topper could have been used so as to lessen the gap between beds.
The mattress was a little soft for me but we had a decent night's sleep...our room was at the front but as the area is mostly hotels/residential, it wasn't too noisy.
The electric heater kept the room warm and the rest of the hotel was warm too.

Breakfast was lovely, a choice of cereals and juices, also a cooked breakfast that consisted of a good quality sausage, a well done tasty rasher of bacon, an egg, beans, mushies and toast.
Along with tea or coffee, there were pain au chocolat and yoghurts too, so all in all, well cooked and good quality.
The service was good, we encountered no "frostiness"...the bar prices were ok I thought, I had a decent beer for £3.05 and the bar/reception/snug areas were clean and well maintained.

I think for the money this was a great stay and I can't really fault the place- if people have had problems with the rooms then maybe we were lucky or they haven't got round to re-doing other rooms.
I would ignore comments like the size of the key fob- (you're supposed to hand it in when you go out as reception is manned 24hrs, a pretty silly thing to moan about!)
and the few odd things like shampoo missing, sounds like nit-picking (and just an over-sight by the room attendant)..this is a good place for the money, if you want 5 star quality, go elsewhere, if you want good value for money in a nice, well kept, clean hotel, then the Orchid should be considered.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank foolfighter1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
  • Arabic first
london
Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for one night in march.
Lots of free parking which is always good, check in quick and smooth. Was given a key with big room number tag, would be annoying to carry around for lengthy periods of time but I'm used to electronic cards now.
Bar In reception area. Went into our room- decor not great very brown! No soap in the bathroom. Went to reception, very helpful lady saying that the hotel had run out of soap and she gave us a big bottle. Back to the room- not the cleanest, but not the dirtiest. Bed was not fantastic but not awful! Shower Was fine. breakfast was awful, had to ask one of the waitresses to serve us after waiting for around half hour, staff apologetic and polite- fine by us we were in no rush. We waited another 45 mins for our actual breakfast to be served which was inedible. the juice and toast were nice! Check out Quick. Definitely glad we were only staying for one night although staff were lovely and would stay again if in the area but think it is slightly overpriced for the quality.

• Stayed March 2013
FELTHAM
Reviewed March 11, 2013

stayed at this hotel for one night . all ok clean tidy .nice room .handy as we attending a family party at the hotel opp .only thing to let this hotel down was the long wait for breakfast .everything else ok.would book again ,other reviews a bit ott .

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
kent
Reviewed March 11, 2013

The exterior décor and communal areas of the hotel makes it stand out from other hotels in the area but like they say never judge a book by its cover.

The room was basic and reasonably clean, it had tea making facilities, an iron and ironing board and a shampoo in the bathroom (no soap or conditioner).

It also had a fan heater in the room this concerned me slightly as that only meant one thing - that the room would be cold. My suspicions were right and come 9 o'clock I was in bed with the heater going and still a bit chilly, I checked the radiator and surprise it wasn't on.

I must say I am a bit fussy when it comes to beds but this one was ridiculous it was as solid as a rock to the point that if you laid on your side it felt like you were on he floor, the sleeping situation was not good but then this was only made worse with people continuously walking about above my room all night I don't know if this was other guests (not the hotels fault) or staff (seems a more likely scenario as it was in the week and most people like myself seemed to be on business).

When I got bored of laying in bed awake I got up about 6 and after having a cup of tea decided to have my shower to wake me up a bit, there was no hot water! I rang reception who advised me that the boiler had not been put on until 30 mins previous and that it takes 2 hours to heat up, by which time it would be too late for the shower. I get the feeling that the boiler not being on was not a mistake and more a regular occurrence as I don't know many hotels that have fan heaters in the rooms as standard. After boiling the kettle and pouring it in the sink to have a wash I thought I would go and have a bit of breakfast.

The dining room was set out nicely and the décor again was pleasant. There were a selection of juices, cereal, yogurts, fruit and some pastries. The waitress came and took my order for a cooked breakfast. I ordered sausage, bacon , egg and beans. Basically the bacon smelt funny and tasted worse, the sausage had a weird frankfurter taste to it but with a fatty sausage consistency the egg was an egg and the beans were cheap. I left the whole breakfast and opted for toast and a pain au chocolate instead.

All in all I pretty rubbish although it was clean and tidy.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 2, 2013 via mobile

Excellent value on weekday night. Decent cooked breakfast included and hotel overall perfectly adequate for a business stay. Rooms are acceptable and comfy enough with big enough free car park unlike some hotels on the same road.

• Stayed February 2013
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 14, 2013

Just to cover things in headings:

Service:
On entering the hotel the receptionist was cold and a little unhelpful but got the job done.

Room
Bath very dirty with signs of mould on the ceiling and round the shower screen
There was no soap in the room
Wardrobe lovely and spacious
Room very comfortable and stylishly furnished
Booklet in room out of date on some details
Blinds kind of tricky to close
Lots of tea and coffee facilities included in the room
Cobwebs on the ceiling

Other
24 hour reception very convenient
Good value for money
Great location

• Stayed February 2013
Reviewed February 4, 2013

We stayed at The Orchid recently for a Birthday Celebration and we were very impressed. After reading some of the reviews before our visit we had our reservations but we were pleasantly surprised. We had a superior room which was spacious with a new contemporary look. Very clean with great pressure shower and comfortable bed. Location was fantastic and all local amenities i.e beach, town, pubs etc only a 5 to 10 minute walk. Breakfast was fantastic and all the staff were all very pleasant. We don't normally write reviews but felt the Hotel deserves some positive feed back. We would definitely return when visiting the area again.

• Stayed January 2013
2 Thank BDP77
OrchidManagement, General Manager at The Orchid Hotel, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Dear Guest,

It is great to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you very much for your positive feedback regarding our facilities, staff and breakfast.

Looking forward to seeing you again.